Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Antidepressants and Marijuana

Question--I have difficulty falling asleep and I had a hella bad head cold/allergies for the last few days, so I went to the doctor for some antibiotics. She also prescribed me Cymbalta, a mild antidepressant that would help me to go to sleep better. Does anyone know if you can mix marijuana and antidepressants? I only smoke on the weekends now, but I'm considering just sticking to my usual tylenol PMs if they won't interact well...thanks for any help!!

I have heard that mixing the two can give you an unwanted side effect: more depression. I'm on Effexor XR and I've heard that smoking while on it can cause deep drops in mood, making you suicidal. I have a friend who is on the same antidepressant as I am and has smoked plenty of weed without ever complaining about it making him more depressed.

Weed can actually help counteract some of the side effects of Cymbalta. Namely the nausea and loss of appetite. The other side of it is you probably shouldnt be smoking weed if you're so depressed that you need Cymbalta. It's also a fairly new drug (on the market about a year) and theres not alot of info out there about it.

hmmm...i was just prescribed it because I couldn't sleep and the doctor didn't want to give me ambien...im not depressed at all. I haven't actually taken it yet...I don't really want to get on antidepressants and start really fucking with my brain chemistry....

...I don't really want to get on antidepressants and start really fucking with my brain chemistry....

I am sorry to have to be the reaper of such news, but daaahling.... Weed and many of the other "party favors" do fudge with your "brain chemistry".Not to mention if you've been doing anything for any length of time, it is really messing with your head, and who knows if that damage is reversable. But I do understand the reluctance to get involved with anti depressants.

And little side note tricyclics (a form of anti depressants) sometimes are prescribed for such things as insomnia and migraines. :phone: