Clubplanet Nightlife Community

the law on mixing

What are the laws about releasing mixes for download? illegal or not?

good question.

In theory you can not release other peoples copy righted music without their permission. Be it streaming or what ever. yet in dance, its accepted.

I mean, unless the person is going to sue...

and all those tunnel vs soundfactory CD's were illegal, yet you would see them in record stores. Ironically, thats bootlegging, and its funny how the record stores that sold dance music, would sell bootlegg CD's, are now being killed off by bootlegging online music.

So it gets tricky, to many loopholes. to many ways to go.

if you really want to read up on it,

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sup_01_17.html

I DONT THINK U SHOULD BE CONCERNED ... you are not saying that the mixed set contains all your music... you not taking any credit therefore its not illigal --post the track listing and then you fine 100% as you giving the artist his due!

I DONT THINK U SHOULD BE CONCERNED ... you are not saying that the mixed set contains all your music... you not taking any credit therefore its not illigal --post the track listing and then you fine 100% as you giving the artist his due!

actually if you post the tracklisting

you are not fine

youll need to pay some extreme royalties

I have to folow some pretty tight rules for my streaming site since the playlist was added

also

Streaming sites based in the USA are the only ones who are not "accepted" in the way we think

the only ones that are accepted are the ones based OUTSIDE of the USA.

As long as your streaming server is here in the US, you got problems

as for uploading / downloading / offering mix sets

well you can offer it at ZERO cost to the recipient

but you can NOT upload it for distribution

you can download all you want to

but uploading is where the legal pinch comes in

..while i was working with Intel corp, i was able to read up extensively about all this

im only advising on what i remember at the moment

actually if you post the tracklisting

you are not fine

youll need to pay some extreme royalties

I have to folow some pretty tight rules for my streaming site since the playlist was added

also

Streaming sites based in the USA are the only ones who are not "accepted" in the way we think

the only ones that are accepted are the ones based OUTSIDE of the USA.

As long as your streaming server is here in the US, you got problems

as for uploading / downloading / offering mix sets

well you can offer it at ZERO cost to the recipient

but you can NOT upload it for distribution

you can download all you want to

but uploading is where the legal pinch comes in

..while i was working with Intel corp, i was able to read up extensively about all this

im only advising on what i remember at the moment

i been working the the music industry for 2 years, doing royalties.

Its a pain in the ass when your trying to get an album out and someone didnt clear a sample. People from Dr. Dre to Apple computer have been sued for not clearing samples. copyright infringement.

but seriously, people share software and stuff on torrent sites, I mean, I guess it all depends who's looking, but I seriously doubt (and i have never heard of) anyone coming after a Dj for streaming music or offering downloads...

i been working the the music industry for 2 years, doing royalties.

Its a pain in the ass when your trying to get an album out and someone didnt clear a sample. People from Dr. Dre to Apple computer have been sued for not clearing samples. copyright infringement.

but seriously, people share software and stuff on torrent sites, I mean, I guess it all depends who's looking, but I seriously doubt (and i have never heard of) anyone coming after a Dj for streaming music or offering downloads...

i have a friend in california

shes doing an FM radio show as well as an internet show

they had the

Taskforce for Hi Technology Crimes come right to her house

Battering RAM in hand (didnt use it)

Local / State police as well as a couple reps from FBI

It was insane, it just happened a couple months ago

They had a warrent and took her PC + all technology that can hold any form of audio wether it be digital or analog form from her house.

Not only did they take all her personal stuff but went to the studio (FM) to gather anything that could potentialy be hers as well.

All because she wasnt licenced with LOUD MUSIC.com + some other outfit for streaming rights.

She had to sign a contract stating that in no way was the radio station itself aware of her personal music hobby.

Shes still in court over it

Earlier this year in Italy there was a DJ arrested for having use of over 5000 mp3s

plus over 1000 movie files

they came to the nightclub where he plays

took his stuff

took equipment from the club

etc etc

but your correct on one main point

.........it matters whos watching but most importantly

what they see you doing.

i have a friend in california

shes doing an FM radio show as well as an internet show

they had the

Taskforce for Hi Technology Crimes come right to her house

Battering RAM in hand (didnt use it)

Local / State police as well as a couple reps from FBI

It was insane, it just happened a couple months ago

They had a warrent and took her PC + all technology that can hold any form of audio wether it be digital or analog form from her house.

Not only did they take all her personal stuff but went to the studio (FM) to gather anything that could potentialy be hers as well.

All because she wasnt licenced with LOUD MUSIC.com + some other outfit for streaming rights.

She had to sign a contract stating that in no way was the radio station itself aware of her personal music hobby.

Shes still in court over it

Earlier this year in Italy there was a DJ arrested for having use of over 5000 mp3s

plus over 1000 movie files

they came to the nightclub where he plays

took his stuff

took equipment from the club

etc etc

but your correct on one main point

.........it matters whos watching but most importantly

what they see you doing.

it does matter whos watching. On certain torrent sites, they have software, and if the developer of the software asks for their software to be remove, the torrent site removes it, but at the same time there is tons of other shit....

I guess it depends.When ever I make a beat, I copyright it, and since I am registered with ASCAP, if anyone ever stole it and played it, ASCAP would take care of it. For example, if your playing my song, and I email you and say, take it down or pay me, you might not care. However, if ASCAp and their lawyers contacted you, its alot different and holds more weight.

I mean, piracy is pretty crazy these days, but even optimum online promotes it. They only ask you DO NOT share files. In other words, you can download, but not upload.

from their site.

http://www.optonline.net/Cservice/Article?CID=type%3Dreg%26channel%3D68%26article%3D1993918

Are you exposing your personal files to the Internet? Or running a server without even knowing it?

If you use a peer-to-peer application without disabling the file sharing option, the whole Internet can have access to files on your hard drive. The University of Chicago publishes a handy reference* for disabling file sharing on various peer-to-peer applications. By disabling file sharing, you can continue to enjoy the Internet services you like, but you'll keep the network clear for other users. And you'll stay clear of the restriction against running servers found in the Optimum Online Residential Terms of Service.

strange isnt it...

as for your friend, yes she was on FM. Thats falls under the jurisdiction of the FCC, hence thats why she violated federal law...

again, I doubt they are going to go after a DJ for posting mixes online, they have bigger fish to catch.