Clubplanet Nightlife Community

18+ And You :)

Forgive my ignorance and lack of research but is there a law against letting a 18+ crowds into NYC clubs?? other than having legitimate ID and not being able to drink at the bar without having 21+ ID what is stopping NYC clubs from letting in a 18+ crowd.

Yes the younsters do act like assholes sometimes but so do the 40 year olds...

IT WILL BE a great thing for house music if crowds 18+ are exposed to HOUSE music....djs like frankie knuckles, danny krivit, Louie Vega, DanNy tenaglia don't really have a STRONG following of people UNDER 25 YEARS OF AGE... scary eh?

I honestly don't see young crowds excited about anything other than hip-hop, indie rock...

and just like they are being spoon-fed that stuff they can be spoon-fed other genres old and new....

I don't think the reason is that 18-year-olds act immature, the reason is more likely is because clubs make a lot of more off liquor and 18+ can't drink. So if they aren't spending money, they just take up space in the club. Not to mention that $40 cover might be tough to shell out for them.

I agree about exposing young crowds to house and trance: that's why Made Events @ Spirit are are a blessing to NYC's growing up party generation. It's awful, though, how they flock from the main room upstairs where they play hip-hop!!! This brainwashing is just unacceptable.

My only question is why is the ratio of 18-year-old boys to girls at those events is like 4-to-1 at best? Don't 18-year-old chicks like clubbing anymore? Or did parents become become a lot more restrictive since my times?

I don't think the reason is that 18-year-olds act immature, the reason is more likely is because clubs make a lot of more off liquor and 18+ can't drink. So if they aren't spending money, they just take up space in the club. Not to mention that $40 cover might be tough to shell out for them.

I agree about exposing young crowds to house and trance: that's why Made Events @ Spirit are are a blessing to NYC's growing up party generation. It's awful, though, how they flock from the main room upstairs where they play hip-hop!!! This brainwashing is just unacceptable.

My only question is why is the ratio of 18-year-old boys to girls at those events is like 4-to-1 at best? Don't 18-year-old chicks like clubbing anymore? Or did parents become become a lot more restrictive since my times?

Great repsonse as you touched on some points that i forgot to mention.

Pricey cover charges def. have an impact as do the marketing strategies clubs use in promoting their events & parties. AS WE'VE ALREADY SEEN,

big clubs' strongest night are friday & saturday so to admit an 18+ crowd wouldn't be beneficial to their bar but in general would help fill up a club, generate door profit, coat check, etc.

there was a time when large scale clubs were open 7 days a week, there aren't enough clubbers and people interested in music period to go around.

Passed by avalon on wednesday night and the area was absolutely dead...

god only knows the chaos that went on in the streets years ago in that area...it was better than what went on on the weekend.

You know nyc nightlife isn't healthy when the weekend parties are often what people look forward to instead of the WEEKDAY parties...

Growing up, the majority of the clubs/parties were 18+. Youth drove the movement not professionals with careers spending money at the bar.

There was alot more interest in the money coming in from door profits/entrance fees.

We need to fill up the basket with alot more eggs so that there will be more to choose from.

Marketing is KEY! clubs/nightlife culture isn't marketed the correct way.

When I was coming up there even less marketing for clubs because it was 'fresh' , 'underground' , etc.

We've got some improving to do...