Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Peter Rauhofer Spins Avalon Sunday 1/15

avalonboston1

*This is a gay event but all those who are gay friendly are welcome*

Vienna, Austria

Biography

The drama started many years ago in Peter's hometown of Vienna, Austria. While working at a small import record store, he became proficient behind the turntables and eventually got his big break one night while filling in for his boss spinning at a local nightclub. In 1983, Peter started DJing regularly at the club and, after a couple of very successful years, he became the International A&R Director at GIG Records, a small independent Austrian record label. Over the next 10 years, Peter spent a lot of time working in the United States, while building a reputation at home in Vienna as one of Austria's top DJs.

Rauhofer eventually started producing his own distinct brand of provocative underground house music. In 1993 he achieved his breakthrough in the U.S. with the success of "Let Me Be Your Underwear," a song was released under the pseudonym Club 69. Club 69's debut album, "Adults Only" followed in 1995. Peter's popularity in the U.S. skyrocketed with club hits like "Diva," "Love Is The Message," and "Unique." Having fallen in love with America, Peter began splitting his time between the U.S. and Austria, all the while forging his presence as a global force in the world of dance music.

In 1997, Peter added a couple more personas to compliment the already existing Danube Dance and Club 69, as well as to diversify his presence in the burgeoning club music scene. Under the guise of House Heroes, Peter, along with Parisian model DJ Wild, created the smash hit "Magic Orgasm." It was the debauchery and decadence of Size Queen's "Pimps, Pumps & Pushers" though, that brought us the influential, albeit hedonistic, club staples "Walk," "Music," and "K-Hole." Make no mistake about it, "Size Queen is all about being nasty," Rauhofer reveals, but humor and camp also played a large part in its success. This was even more evident on Club 69's sophomore album, "Style," which was also released in 1997 to rave reviews. Songs like the stylish remake of Diana Ross "Muscles" (vocals by Suzanne Palmer) and the camp classic "Drama" (vocals by Kim Cooper) put Rauhofer back at the top of the Billboard dance charts, a position with which he has become very familiar over the years.

It's no secret that when it comes to dance music, Rauhofer embraces rather than fights the inevitable drama, manipulating it into infectious tracks and powerful live performances. "I think during the whole night drama is very important for the dance floor, especially when you spin for a gay crowd. That's what makes it much more exciting," he tells us. Peter learned this valuable lesson from the master of drama himself, Junior Vasquez. "When I went to Arena, he [Junior] always made those long breaks and let people stand around and wait, and it was like everybody was screaming, "Junior." Peter reminisces. "Like I said, it?s all about the drama. I thought, I have to make a track for Junior." Shortly thereafter, the "Drama" of it all was captured on vinyl.

When he's not in the studio or behind the turntables, Peter likes to observe the crowds in New York City clubs. "I always stand somewhere in the corner and watch because I get all of my inspiration at clubs - every track I ever did, I got my inspiration in the club," he divulges. "I watch the people - how they behave, how they act, how they react to different kinds of tracks, and that's how I get my ideas." Of course, now that he has become famous in America, it is much more difficult for him to blend into a crowd without being noticed. He usually doesn?t mind the attention, but he sometimes misses the anonymity. "The problem is too many people know me already, so I have to behave," he says. "You never know who is watching you."

Just in the last year alone, Peter has worked with Whitney Houston, Funky Green Dogs, Donna Summer, and Madonna. In addition, Peter solidified his mainstream pop superstardom by helping Cher's "Believe" become the biggest record worldwide in 1999 with his Club 69 Future Anthem Mix. These remarkable remixes recently garnered him a Grammy nomination for Remixer of the Year. Peter was surprised to be nominated, but he?s also honored. "I'm not sure how people vote, but I?m sure they go after the big names. I've got all the big names this year," he jokes, playfully mocking his own status as remixer to the stars.

Peter's speculation that the prominence of his clients might help him win a Grammy was right on the money, Remixer of the Year category, and walked away with the coveted golden statue on Wednesday, February 23rd. Riding the success of his recent Grammy win, nothing is likely to slow Peter down anytime soon. He is currently working on the Pet Shop Boys new singles in the U.S. and U.K. entitled respectively, "I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Anymore" ("They couldn't choose a longer title," he jokes), and "Closer To Heaven." He has also just finished Madonna's "Skin" with Victor Calderone, and they recently released "Do It Properly" (both under their joint pseudonym The Collaboration) on his new record label, Star 69. Although "Do It Properly" hit the clubs quite a while ago, it is being released commercially as a single for the first time this spring.

Rauhofer has also signed several dance music artists to his label. Rauhofer is understandably excited about the incredible potential his new record label holds. "It's all going to be dance music, but also crossover - some radio stuff," he explains. "I want to have the label for the future. The day will come when I'm not requested anymore as a remixer, so I want to have something on the side. I have always wanted my own record label." This is one dream that Peter has been fortunate enough to realize, yet he hopes to fulfill still more later this year.

• 2 weeks later...