Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How Come Oakey Doesn't Make Tracks????

i just don't get it.. such talent yet he doesn't compose his own music?? what's the deal with that?

the question has been plagueing (sp?) my existence i tell u! cwm31.gif

(uh.. ok, jk, but i'm just wondering cwm16.gif )

thanx everyone! cwm30.gif

peace --daniela cwm4.gif

------------------

FairyAniSparkel.gif

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

[This message has been edited by mareluna (edited 12-14-2000).]

he does have a few remixes of his own, but they are few and far between. these are the only tracks that i'm aware of that he directly remixed.......

- u2 beautiful day

- massive attack - unfinished symphony

- u2 real thing

- braveheart theme

- sneaker pimps- six underground

- delerium - silence

------------------

but daddy! i want an oompa loompa now!

Originally posted by mattyparsons:

he does have a few remixes of his own, but they are few and far between. these are the only tracks that i'm aware of that he directly remixed.......

- u2 beautiful day

- u2 real thing

- braveheart theme

- delerium - silence

I don't think (i may be wrong of course) the original question was why doesn't Oakie have any remixes of his own like the Delerium, U2 etc. The question was why doesn't he compose his OWN music, and I don't have an answer to this. There is a track called embracing the sunshine that is his own, other than that I don't know- but I could venture a guess and say that producing your own track is a lot harder than it seems sometimes. Perhaps some people (like Oakie) are just better as re-mixers because that is where their creativity lies, not in producing.

Some djs can do both and can excel immensely, like Van Dyk, Tiesto etc... Others are better at producing music than they are at mixing stuff together, and I think Matt Darey is a great example of that. He is an excellent producer but I have always found his live sets and mixes to be a little boring.

------------------

"There was a time before we were born when the soul of each one of us decreed that we be brought into life. We have all made a place for ourselves on this earth, each life precious, each path different. But we all share the same goal of inner peace and it is there within us all to be discovered, and it can only be discovered through love."

Originally posted by mattyparsons:

- u2 beautiful day

- u2 real thing

- braveheart theme

- delerium - silence

delerium's silence was remixed first by tiesto, then oakey took it.. nix that frown.gif

------------------

FairyAniSparkel.gif

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

Originally posted by gabrielll:

Because almost everything that you hear in an oakenfolk set has been tweeked or remixed already by himself. That is what makes him so good.

that didn't answer my question, gabrielll...obviously it's his remixes that make him so good, because it's the only thing he does, so we already know he can do that well! cwm10.gif

what i'm sayin is, what if he Made trax????

oh, and it's oakenfold lol.. not oakenfolk.

peace-- daniela

------------------

FairyAniSparkel.gif

Originally posted by mareluna:

delerium's silence was remixed first by tiesto, then oakey took it.. nix that frown.gif

nooo!

i got a version on mp3 that sounds nothing like the one on his cd. as far as i know, this is his remix and not tiesto's

------------------

fuck you i won't do what you tell me

First off, Oakie didn't make "embracing the sunshine"....BT did.

Secondly, Oakie doesn't need to make Tracks b/c he owns his record Label: Perfecto, which signs talent like Timo Maas & BT who produce tracks. HE spins the same tracks in all his sets..TRACKS THAT PERFECTO PRODUCED ie: Bullet in the Gun, It's not over Yet, Another Day, Rollercoaster, Ubik etc.

"The Most Successful DJ in the World" He's a sellout....ANTHEM SPINNER! he's still spinning silence and zombie nation STRONG!

PVD RULES!

cwm9.gif

Originally posted by twilogoddess:

First off, Oakie didn't make "embracing the sunshine"....BT did.

Secondly, Oakie doesn't need to make Tracks b/c he owns his record Label: Perfecto, which signs talent like Timo Maas & BT who produce tracks. HE spins the same tracks in all his sets..TRACKS THAT PERFECTO PRODUCED ie: Bullet in the Gun, It's not over Yet, Another Day, Rollercoaster, Ubik etc.

"The Most Successful DJ in the World" He's a sellout....ANTHEM SPINNER! he's still spinning silence and zombie nation STRONG!

PVD RULES!

cwm9.gif

uh, yea, that's great and all... but it still doesn't answer my question.. and don't dis oakey-- there's no need for that. let's not turn this into the drama board.

anthem spinner? i hate to say this bc i love pvd too, but pvd also plays big trance anthems, ones he makes and ones he spins...

and when's the last time u heard oakey spin silence or zombie nation? cuz i just saw him not even a month ago, and he certainly didn't spin those 2 song (hell, and maybe u were there that nite too.) cwm3.gif

so basically u're sayin that oakey's a lazy bitch and doesn't make trax cuz he's got the money to sign ppl who will make trax for him to spin?? that's a pretty easy answer to believe but it still doesn't really answer the question.. cwm36.gif

i don't think anyone has a good answer except the man himself.

...oakey's will be a receiving a letter from me soon! lol..

peace --daniela

------------------

FairyAniSparkel.gif

[This message has been edited by mareluna (edited 12-15-2000).]

YOU ALL ARE A BUNCH OF IDIOTS! first off, Oakey didn't remix Delerium at all. Fade did the first mix , then Tiesto. Second the only recent remixes he did was of U2 which was really mixed by his partner andy Gray. If you don;t believe me, go get any Andy grey remix that was done without oakey and it sounds exactly the same! and then go find a mix that oakey did without andy and you will be looking for a long ass time, cause there are none.

Lastly, the reason why you cant find enough mixes that he did is plain and simple... His big ass gorilla head wont fit in the doorway!!!

Originally posted by icup:

YOU ALL ARE A BUNCH OF IDIOTS! first off, Oakey didn't remix Delerium at all. Fade did the first mix , then Tiesto. Second the only recent remixes he did was of U2 which was really mixed by his partner andy Gray. If you don;t believe me, go get any Andy grey remix that was done without oakey and it sounds exactly the same! and then go find a mix that oakey did without andy and you will be looking for a long ass time, cause there are none.

Lastly, the reason why you cant find enough mixes that he did is plain and simple... His big ass gorilla head wont fit in the doorway!!!

alright, is calling us "a bunch of idiots" really necessary? just stop that nonsense please.

first off, u failed to answer my original question.

secondly, for someone who makes fun of oakey and "his big ass gorilla head," it's funny how u claim to know alot more about his remixes than we do...

check urself before u post, that is, unless ur goal is to sound peremptory as well as inconsistent and inane.

cwm10.gif

peace --daniela

------------------

FairyAniSparkel.gif

Daniela,

At this point in his career, its not worth it for him to make his own music from scratch. If you look at all the big DJs, you hardly see any of them producing original music, they all do remixes of other tracks, because they get paid ALOT more, plus they don't have to spend as much time. Plus Oakie probably has the most grueling tour schedule (but he plays those weak 2-3 hour sets) of the bigger DJs, along with running a record label, so time might also be a factor. But he has never been one concentrating on making music such as DT, Deep Dish or Timo Maas. Maybe thats why he doesn't make tracks from scratch.

That *might* try to explain it...of course, the real reason is probably because he can't make music for shit LOL...but I doubt it.

- Ali

------------------

This weeks gigs:

Thursday - My Room

Friday - My Basement

PM for Guestlist

Originally posted by Abstrakt:

Daniela,

If you look at all the big DJs, you hardly see any of them producing original music, they all do remixes of other tracks, because they get paid ALOT more, plus they don't have to spend as much time. - Ali

pvd and sasha aren't big dj's?

------------------

fuck you i won't do what you tell me

from reading rescent interviews with him its probably because he has always been either touring or having residencies somewhere, he now is concentrating really hard on the states and places that aren't as familar with the scene, it takes a very long time time not to mention talent to produce your own music, sasha, who probably is one of the most talented djs out has alrady said that he will ony resident at twilo and some other place next year because he wants to get back to the studio and produce, he also said he finally feels comfortable to do this, this boy has been spinning ten years and now finally says he feels comfortable, it takes alot of skill, i hope that kind of answers your question

dp

Originally posted by Abstrakt:

Daniela,

At this point in his career, its not worth it for him to make his own music from scratch. If you look at all the big DJs, you hardly see any of them producing original music, they all do remixes of other tracks, because they get paid ALOT more, plus they don't have to spend as much time. Plus Oakie probably has the most grueling tour schedule (but he plays those weak 2-3 hour sets) of the bigger DJs, along with running a record label, so time might also be a factor. But he has never been one concentrating on making music such as DT, Deep Dish or Timo Maas. Maybe thats why he doesn't make tracks from scratch.

That *might* try to explain it...of course, the real reason is probably because he can't make music for shit LOL...but I doubt it.

- Ali

Thanx Ali cwm17.gif That makes the most sense out of all the other replies and answers my question adequately bbuuuttt... what about before oakey got huge?? why didn't he make trax then? hehe, sorry i'm so inquisitive! peace --daniela cwm35.gif

------------------

FairyAniSparkel.gif

i too thought Ali summed it up pretty well, a little more delicate maybe, than i expected.

my guess would be that at some point he made attampts to create something of his own, but he couldnt get the job done. simply because he is a world renowned dj, doesnt necessarily mean he knows anything about how to compose music.

here's an exapmle, a band like Green Day, they have sold millions of albums without having been able to read or write music (at least in the early stages of their career, im not certain about now). although i can't stand their version of POP PUNK, i believe they were still pretty successful selling all those records with nothing but regurgitated music. they could only play three chords or less!! and they certainly made nothing originaly in my eyes.

hhhhmmmm, not sure if any of that will sink in, but i tried.

peace

stephen

------------------

we must cultivate our gardens...