Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Lived in Mexico full-time?

barraquilla

I am thinking about living in Mexico from early June through the end of July this year. Basically, I want to go for the elections and to also learn more about the Indigenous issues and Cartels, etc.

I would be staying around the DF w/ a friend and would love any input I can get about Mexico City… other than the obvious, cause I know it is smoggy and buying stuff from the street doesn’t bother me.

So yeah, appreciate any info. Thanks!

watchu want to know? there are few good books about the mexican drug cartels out there.

"Drug Lord, the Life and Death of a Mexican Kingpin" by by Terrence E. Poppa

and

"Dirty Dealing : Drug Smuggling on the Mexican Border and the Assassination of a Federal Judge-An American Parable" by Gary Cartwright

pops used to be in the military in the northern part of mexico in the 60's and 70's - the books are pretty legit. and i recall a lot of the stuff mentioned in the books during the mid-80's to the mid-90's.

regarding the elections, its a toss up. its clear latin america as a whole is starting to lean left - so who knows if the leftis candidate, Lopez Obrador, can win, especially with the PRI still in the picture and with the PAN holding the presidency. i just dont want Madrazo (PRI) to win.

also a tip on el DF - don't take cabs. use public transportation, its safer. i havent been to Mexico City since '94 so i'm pretty much clueless. lived mostly in the northern part of mexico between monterrey and other more rural areas.

try to go to the interior of the country if you can to get a better sense of the people as a whole. toluca, puebla, veracruz, guadalajara, monterrey and historic guanajuato if you can.

pm me if you want, i'll try to help as much as i can.

i wanna know everything about living in the df - internet service, best newspaper (spanish), best place to exchange money, best stand, how much better the smog & everything is when the chusma leave ;), best cafe, best produce guy (particularly for the different avocados), best club (prefer edm), best bar for beer, etc.

...i'll check out those books. definitely need more info.

and i probably shouldn't have an opinion without being there, but i like patricia mercado. cause whenever i hear of the pan party, i always wonder how many billions fox has in switzerland, yet min. wage is still like $6 mxn. just can't forget about that, lol.

anyway, the df will be our base, but i'll hopefully be going around the interior, plus the gulf and sinaloa cartel areas. i don't know all of the places the person i'll be traveling with is going, though guadalajara is for sure on the list.

thanks for the advice on public transport, thats the kinda info that i need. whenever i talk to someone from the df, they usually mention being wary of the patarajada. which, i think is the least of my concerns... ya know, tell me about the cops, lol.

thanks again for the info, i appreciate it. :)

best newspaper - REFORMA and EXCELSIOR. EL NORTE if you can it in Mexico City - EL Norte owns Reforma, but EL Norte is based out of Monterrey while Reforma is based outta el DF.

best magazine - PROCESO. http://www.proceso.com.mx/index.html

best clubs - I think "Continental" in Mexico City; Skizzo in Monterrey.

food - just check out any local mercado, they are all over the city, you can get everything fresh there everyday. go to "tepito" if you wanna buy stolen shit (fayuca) on the cheap.

http://www.df.gob.mx/ciudad/reportajes/mercados/4.html

btw, you'll be there during the soccer world cup, the country will probably be going nuts over soccer when the national team plays.

and if you think Fox prolly has $ outside the country, thats probably mere peanuts compared what Salinas, Lopez Portillo, and other old PRI-dinasour politicians were able to take out and launder themselves. the PRI was the world's perfect dictatorship. that enabled them to get entrenched into the system of power - all those drug lords were basically mere servants of the ruling class, gotta make payments for protection you know?

be sure to visit Tlatelolco when your in Mexico City. Mexicans remember the day the military raided a peaceful demostration and killed and arrested hundreds in 1968 a few months before the summer olympics. govmn't and the army was hush-hush about everything that happened there until Zedillo became president 11 years ago.

i'll see what else i can find. but lots and lots to do in Mexico City, you definitely wont get bored.

mexico city subway system:

http://www.metro.df.gob.mx/

as for the cops (quickos) - you look like a gringo? they probably wont bother you. and dont go around looking like a tourist with a bookbag all over the city, just take the necessary stuff you need for the day when you leave wherever your staying. you WILL GET MUGGED. i'm not kidding. lots of family friends have had shit stolen, and gotten mugged.

Wow, that is good info., thank you!

no i definitely don't look lke a gringa, more like i would be from the gulf coast. my friend, however, is a mexican jew and i worry she will be harassed, though her name isn't a giveaway.

:werd: about PRI, they had that shit on lock, lol.

i just don't really see the life of the people getting any better through politics. not saying revolution is coming, but def. a lot of pressure there.

tlatelolco, is now on my list of places to visit. darn, nahuatl! now i have to learn how to pronounce yet another new word. jk. :)

and yes, i want to watch some soccer (futbol)... goalll!!

u are crazy!!!

thank you! ;)

seriously though, I have some free time in early summer and would love to experience a foreign country's political process. of course this is still in the planning stage, because of blah, blah, blah, blah, and stuff. but if I can do it, I will. :)

actually the cartels, other than being dangerous and scary, are actually providing services to their communities -- such as schools and medical care. i'm not trying to interview anyone, just wanted to see how they are benefiting the community. of course they do hurt it as well, so...

being such a white ass midwestern.. i still have not stepped foot into Mexico... I prefer costa rica.. but. man... to learn of the drug cartel.. you're nutz!! :D
you should go!

it is a beautiful country, there are pyramids, rain forests, amazing beaches, and good people. just like in any country, including the u.s., you have to be aware of potential danger. plus, you can fit in, just say that you are from jalisco.:grin3:

thank you! ;)

seriously though, I have some free time in early summer and would love to experience a foreign country's political process. of course this is still in the planning stage, because of blah, blah, blah, blah, and stuff. but if I can do it, I will. :)

actually the cartels, other than being dangerous and scary, are actually providing services to their communities -- such as schools and medical care. i'm not trying to interview anyone, just wanted to see how they are benefiting the community. of course they do hurt it as well, so...

yup. giving out money to the community and setting up services (since the governemnet won't do it) is a very cheap way to get the community look the other way (as long as there isn't extreme violence) and provide useful intel. services to the cartels.

build schools, clinics, hospitals, set up small farms where people can work, they seriously do their best in distributing the $ to the community. of course they also hafta pay up the army and the "judiciales" for protection and right for the "plaza."

you might wanna go up to Juarez, the Chihuahua-Texas border, the Tamaulipas-Texas border as well with the Tijuana border.

you should go!

it is a beautiful country, there are pyramids, rain forests, amazing beaches, and good people. just like in any country, including the u.s., you have to be aware of potential danger. plus, you can fit in, just say that you are from jalisco.:grin3:

women from jalisco (especially guadalajara) ~~~~> :drool:

alright... some day i will check it out...

when i was younger i was shipped to costa rica and I lived in a remote area... saw some dangerous crap going on but I was so naive...

I'll eventually make it there... I can speak spanish.. well I'd have to brush up a bit but I'd fit in!!!!

It's just those mexican males ... soooooooo much machismo I cant' stand it

yup. giving out money to the community and setting up services (since the governemnet won't do it) is a very cheap way to get the community look the other way (as long as there isn't extreme violence) and provide useful intel. services to the cartels.

build schools, clinics, hospitals, set up small farms where people can work, they seriously do their best in distributing the $ to the community. of course they also hafta pay up the army and the "judiciales" for protection and right for the "plaza."

you might wanna go up to Juarez, the Chihuahua-Texas border, the Tamaulipas-Texas border as well with the Tijuana border.

i was thinking about juarez and the states bordering texas & the west. don't know if i'll have enough time. i remember somewhere around that area they found the dumped bodies of like 300 women, which is scary. but i also know there is some kind of across borders womens health program in texas or arizona that i'd like to learn more about. so i'll look into it, thank you. :)

women from jalisco (especially guadalajara) ~~~~> :drool:

k, they are pretty.

i have to add that luis miguel = :drool: for me :)

^my bad, lol. just looks like he could be...

salma hayek - :drool: :drool:

curiously luis miguel, salma hayek and the vicman are all from the same place in mexico :D

hmmm, you must be hot! is there something in the water? post pics, then maybe we can make some sanlta patras...
Let me save you a trip:

mexico's political process consists of do as they say or you'll be pushin up daisys!

k, i still wanna go. :)

:D

i'm not all that photogenic :(

i'll gladly help in any way i can - of course when you get back, you will have to tell me how your trip went. :D

k, i like ugly

only thing that matters is you know what i'm talking about.. and i am grateful for your input, yo.

soooo not true! he's all over the d.c. board, jus' cute as a bug's ear :D !
:) i knew he was hot.
i should really get registered to vote.

seriously man, i'm liking obrador a lot, just cause he may actually have a chance. and i'm hoping the ezln tour sparks voter interest in both mexico and u.s. <-- that means you ;)