Clubplanet Nightlife Community

just bought a new dj set and i have a question

Kontrol

so i have my new cdj's and mixer and now its time to make a bunch of cd's....

i have like a million songs and i was wondering what the best way to burn them is...

i mean...should i put only one song on every cd or should i burn a bunch on each? but what if i wanna mix? should i maybe burn them by bpm number...or just by songs? or like 3 or 4 on each cd?

thanks for your suggestions

Some things we've dealt with:

Don't put too many songs on one CD, unless you print out labels and make the track name readable. It's hard in a dark club in the heat of mixing to find tracks on 200 hand written CDs with sloppy writting.

Make doubles, so if you want to mix into a song, that is on the CD in the player, you have another copy to do it with. That way you can also phase, flash and remix on the fly, Drop accapellas, breaks, etc. Def make doubles of every CD.

Be picky about what songs you put on disc. You might think that putting every single track on CD will only add to your options, but lets face it, Some tracks that you bought online suck, got destroyed in the coversion, or won't ever work in a set. Its good to have options, but not toooo many options. Can slow you down sifting through shit.

Group the tracks if you can. Have tech house on a few, prog on the others, etc. If you have them roughly together, it will be easier to pick tracks to mix, and you will find them faster.

Put a symbol on the disc that will help you remember which CDs have your favorite tracks. If you are flipping through a CD case looking for a single track on 200 CDs, it can be a pain. But if you are looking for a symbol, say a star or question mark, you'll know right away that your track is on that CD. Especially in a dark club. You can flip through the book fast looking for a symbol instead of reading every single track name.

Hope this helps. We have gone through many iterations of our main play CD collection. Started out with all of them, then cut it roughly in half, now really only play about 20% of them regularly, not to mention cutting out old ones with the new ones we buy. You can buy 10 tracks online for the price of an import record, that means you have to remember 10 times as much. If you have a plan and stick with it, you will always be able to find your tracks quickly while in the mix.

Best of Luck!

-T

thanks a lot!

oh and real dj, fake dj, fuck all that cockyheaded nonsense, if you like music you like music, there are no boundaries

Hey i have over 5000 pieces of vinyl at home and about 600 plus cds worth of house music and i am a music lover with a dj setup at home, BUT I AM NO DJ.

Hey i have over 5000 pieces of vinyl at home and about 600 plus cds worth of house music and i am a music lover with a dj setup at home, BUT I AM NO DJ.

there u go again being condicending gabe lol

how is a dj that plays cdjs any different froma dj that that plays vinyl. your still beatmatching :rolleyes:

and FYI....some dj sites sell the mp3's at 192 kbs. the human ear cant hear anything over that so if your paying for 320 your wasting your money IMO

example: djdownload.com

how is a dj that plays cdjs any different froma dj that that plays vinyl. your still beatmatching :rolleyes

Im not talking about. Im saying me personally all the music i have at home and still having a dj equipment as well DOES NOT MAKE ME A DJ. I wanted to make that point clear. Im not debating the use of vinyl vs cds. Let em use what they want. And only thing im against is people using file sharing peer to peep shit to get thier music with sometimes terrible sounds and mislabeled tracks with the wrong artist sometimes and wont even care or know the difference, thats what im tlaking about,

so i have my new cdj's and mixer and now its time to make a bunch of cd's....

i have like a million songs and i was wondering what the best way to burn them is...

i mean...should i put only one song on every cd or should i burn a bunch on each? but what if i wanna mix? should i maybe burn them by bpm number...or just by songs? or like 3 or 4 on each cd?

thanks for your suggestions

MY WAY IS THE BEST WAY. at least for me heh

Number 1 always burn songs of different styles onto each cd. ( this way u dont end up putting songs on a cd that u wanna mix together.

Number 2 u can write the names down on a sheet of paper and stick taht paper in teh cd book. (but when u get to like 300 cd's u gonan not be able to find songs) so therefore the next step

Advanced disk catolog is cost 20 bux only thing is (u gotta use a labtop when spining)

U enter ur cd's in this program and write number on ur cd's and label them as number this way u know how many cd's u have, and u neva put a cd in the wrong slot in ur cd book. when u wanna look for a song u just type the name or a few letters in , in the program and it finds all the songs that match in less than 1 second.

if u go with advanced disk catalog then everything relies on computer, so make a backup of ur files on another hardrive incase anything goes bad and keep updating ur backup. it makes finding songs so easy

mp3s suck; anyone with ears should be able to hear it. Its too bad we've sacrificed quality for convenience. But they're the only way to get some stuff and they're cheap, so what can you do?

320 kbps are not to shabby. thats how i roll. there have been test already in big clubs with experts and they could hardly tell the difference. i would rather opt for vinyl though, but lets face it...it's heavy and expensive.