Clubplanet Nightlife Community

chus/ceballos @ crobar

I had a great time at chus & ceballos last night at crobar. last time they were opening for victor's afterhours & had to end just before 6 or so. they played a very good set before victor but I can now see they were holding back that night.

I see that by the way they totally lowered the boom last night at crobar.

many of you prob know that one of the hottest sounds in the last 2 years or so is the hard tribal/progressive tribal sound. Chus/ceballos is one of teh leading proponents of this sound. I think i was forst exposed to both dj vibe & c&c via danny tenaglia's recomendations, his endorsement of the 21st ecntury hard tribal sound. its a powerful sound, and noticed that roger sanchez too was loading up on the abstract tribal with sopulful acappellas at his most ecent crobar set, one of the best s-man sets Ive ever heard & you know he's pspun a ton of great house sets over the years.

C&C hyeadlined last night & they did not hold back. I arrived about 4:15 after another party in soho and C&C were rocking. the floor was for sure filled at 4 am and it seemed like most of the crowd stayed til at least 7 am. you know its a great set when several hundred people will not leave the dancefloor hours after liquor was cut off.

generally C&C worked in the tribal genre, differnet shades of it. there were some banging pure percussion tracks espec as the night went on. there were some snaking sinewy dirty progg basslines. when C&C whip out this type of jam its a monster, the progg bass tunes were def the highlight of their calderone opener & the proggy numbers they unleashed last night were slamming nasty & raw. then they played some techier/tech-house numbers. alwasy with the huge tribal drums. these guys were not messing around. they play hard! they punish with hard drums top t bottom, but iots not boring. there is a variation & rhythmic patternibng to their drums that isnt a techno 4/4 its a more nuanced sometimes latin flavoured tribal banging its heavy but not monotonous. the energy & hardness of their set last night stood out to me. you know what it reminded me of? carl cox actually! the way coxy just goes bang bang on your head and doesnt quit?! C&C were doing that same energy last night! unrelenting! from 4-ish to 8:20 lights up close.

never boring! the beats continued to refresh. trainspots: time stoppage like 7:15. d'ibiza as last jam about 8-8:15. i recognized a few other samples. a cappellas a few houyse classics at the end and a few tech-house/hard trance style numbers that ive haerd in others sets but C&C always kept the hard tribal beat aws the forefront, even recognizable tech-house hits were just seasoning, whatever they palyed it was tribal, hard deep techy progg banging energetic massive non-stop tribal.

if youve never heard C&C live you better check 'em they have energy that will impress & they have amn abstract 2006 hard tribal progg style which is banging & tingly.

****1/4 of 5 stars

Ah I disagree, I heard them way better b4. I hate when they get in there nuttin but tribal drums mode for like 4 hrs. There better than that. Dont get me wrong I love tribal, but I need more than just different kinds of drums in tracks. Need other beats and sounds, Julian Poker does it best in his tracks.(Check out his new track people (reconstructed).) There was a while there for like 10 tracks, I swore it was the same track. They werent bad, the just werent great either.

First off great review man. i was really feeling them the whole time and they did play diffrent track not all sounded the same.i liked when they dropped a mauro picotto track i was like what!??!!!!!!!!! then towards the end of their set dropped dbiza the best version i've heard since danny played it at spirit last year.all in all it was a great night the crowd wasnt bothering me met alot of great peeps a hott ass girl lol and a big shout out to the girl that was fingering her self on the dance floor.. that shit was classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!haha great party.

ray, did you leave early? all i know is i was there from 415 to 820 and it was very diverse as i wrote.

arg as you say the techier stuff was the surprise whoa they played some HARD banging tunes!!! hard aass!!!!

First off great review man. i was really feeling them the whole time and they did play diffrent track not all sounded the same.i liked when they dropped a mauro picotto track i was like what!??!!!!!!!!! then towards the end of their set dropped dbiza the best version i've heard since danny played it at spirit last year.all in all it was a great night the crowd wasnt bothering me met alot of great peeps a hott ass girl lol and a big shout out to the girl that was fingering her self on the dance floor.. that shit was classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!haha great party.

Sorry guys this is only my third time hearing them and I enjoyed them more at canal room and cielo. The bpms were a bit to high for me but again I went with the prenotion of what I've heard in the past. I loved them anyway not to diminish what I heard and what I enjoyed. Ivano was great opening up. He was very subtle and progressive. Loved his set. Peace.

ray, did you leave early? all i know is i was there from 415 to 820 and it was very diverse as i wrote.

arg as you say the techier stuff was the surprise whoa they played some HARD banging tunes!!! hard aass!!!!

Yea i left around 5, I should of heard them out a lil longer, it was just so boring from like 2 - 5. Nuttin but drums. I can def see them get better later.

yeah i tell you the set really developed from 4-8, it went through phases.

i guess i had a lot of energy that night cos i started out in soho from 11-4 then went to crobar & closed it out at 8;20. so C&Cs heavy beats & nonstop energy matched my mood.

I can imagine that 3 hours of tribal drums from 2-5 might be a bit much.

they def changed styles & modes betw 4-8.

as with quite a few djs, the 2nd half of their set is usually better, if you can stay til the end or time your night so you come in at half way...sometimes it works out, sometimes I get tired like at DT & have to leave at 8 am when i wish i cld stay til 12 noon or later....

yeah i tell you the set really developed from 4-8, it went through phases.

i guess i had a lot of energy that night cos i started out in soho from 11-4 then went to crobar & closed it out at 8;20. so C&Cs heavy beats & nonstop energy matched my mood.

I can imagine that 3 hours of tribal drums from 2-5 might be a bit much.

they def changed styles & modes betw 4-8.

as with quite a few djs, the 2nd half of their set is usually better, if you can stay til the end or time your night so you come in at half way...sometimes it works out, sometimes I get tired like at DT & have to leave at 8 am when i wish i cld stay til 12 noon or later....

I hear ya on that.

and a big shout out to the girl that was fingering her self on the dance floor.. that shit was classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!haha great party.

There was also a Spanish-looking chick dancing with her shirt totally unbuttoned and no bra on around 5am...I feel bad for anyone who spent a shitload of money going to Scores next door, hehe. Anyway I had a great time at this party...I especially liked when the dude with the glasses was spinning...does anyone know if that was Chus or Ceballos?

Arg- was that you with Drew in the orange shirt?