• 1-5 months
    • 6-9 months (committed or not)
    • 1 year or more (committed)
    • Both in love (committed or not)
    • Engagement
    • Marriage
    • Depends on the person
    • First major holiday

I'm having a conversation with someone (male) about when most people let their parents/family meet the person they're dating. I say gender makes a big difference, because women are likely to want their family to meet whoever they are with, even if it is too early in the relationship - like under 6 months.

He agrees on gender differences, but thinks it depends on the man and what he perceives the status of the relationship to be, whether it is just sex or even if the person is someone that is presentable to their family. His theory being, a guy wouldn't bring home a girl he's just banging even if it lasted 10 years, but could bring home a girl he's known a short time if she won't embarrass him.

So, on average, when do you take home someone to your family?

And, not part of the poll, but is there a type of relationship partner who you would never let meet your family?

I picked "both in love", but it would have to be a committed relationship. Personally, I know my family can only truly be appreciated by those who love me and are in it for the long haul. :laugh:

Also, would never bring home anyone that didn't have a chance to be a long term partner. I figure, others just add numbers and there is no need for my 'rents to be involved in my sex life on that level.

my mom's side of the family is super casual about anyone who wants to come to dinner, no matter who the person is. it's always been this way and still is; my brother still lives in new york, so he brings friends and girls he's banging (he's never serious) over for dinner all the time and i brought whoever anytime when i lived there.

pretty much, in high school, if we wanted to bring someone over, we'd just call before we got home from school (and after we had been hanging out w/ friends for a couple of hours) and ask if it would be okay. it was always okay, we just called to let my mom know to set an extra space. she loves meeting new people - especially young people. we had people coming in and out of there all the time.

so introducing boyfriends to my mom's side is really no big whoop to my brother or me. my fam's not all that judgmental; it's just eating and some light-hearted chit chat. the only one who would have issues would be the guy in my life :( .

Nice! you have a cool family, W!

I have taken people I am banging home, but never introduced them as such, just as friends until we were solidly into a relationship. My mother is okay, but my dad is traditional and prefers to think nothing is going on until I spontaneously get married, lol. Overall, I think my policy is working, because there were definitely people I dated that the 'rents realllly did not need to know, at all.

Guest onisakura

In the past almost 5 years that i have been single, my parents have met maybe 5 guys. If there is no potential for it to turn into something more...then there is no reason for my parents to be involved. Besides the fact that my 'rents live in the boondocks. I'm also funny like that. I dont really invite many people over to where i live. Its my personal space and i dont really like random people invading it.

nicely put! yep, my personal space is very important as well... def. the person must mean something and have a role in my life to meet the family. plus, my dad is just old school, I could not bring home a hump of the month or even months and expect a cool reaction, lol.