Clubplanet Nightlife Community

balance @ king king

JuddyBuddy

been a few times, just a couple of blocks away. Always a good crowd, more new york than l.a. (if a little bridge & tunnel) good sound, and the vibe is nice. My only complaint would be (as almost anywhere) it gets a bit too crowded to dance sometimes.

recommended.

Got out of bed and slogged through the rain Friday night to check out Compression, the electro/ tech monthly at KingKing... wow, was it worth it!

Arrived a little after 11pm, and the crowd was around 2/3 capacity and filling up quick, ordered up my Maker's Mark Manhattan (drunk test- if I can't order it I shouldn't be drinking it lol...) A good stiff drink, and well-priced at seven bucks- nice!

John Tejada hit the decks around 1130 with his knife-edge beats tempered by rolling synths, he writes, produces, and remixes as well, very talented guy and incredibly down to earth, talked with him a few times and he is refreshingly unpretentious... JT kept the crowd happy as he scaled the tempo up and handed off a happy crowd to... Daniel Bell.

Daniel Bell, well I've never seen him before but I had high hopes: Damn if he didn't exceed them! This guy is old-school, put in some fifteen years at the tables, came out of the Detroit techno scene with Carl Cox and more importantly (to my tastes) Richie Hawtin, aka Plastikman. His signature style is a sort of minimal techno, these dark, warm, rolling beats that almost subconsciously lift you up into this (cliche) euphoric feeling, not particularly housey or trancey, just clean builds and swells made up of drums and synths and blips; I know it sounds somewhat sterile but if you pick up Richie Hawtin's new Transitions CD, you'll know what I mean... Wow, sooo gooood! I had a long day, almost didn't make it to the club, and there I was UNABLE to sit down, bringing back the reason I got into dance music. People dancing, moving, eyes close, lost in the music... Having been so consistently disappointed recently, it was a welcome reminder of the power of a good DJ to unite us all.

Only gripe: Compression went till 4am, and by three-ish there were only a dozen or two people around, and by 330 it was three of us on the dance floor. Ugh. People are just programmed to feel tired around 130am, I guess. Sheep.

Thanks John and Daniel for a great night!

...Only gripe: Compression went till 4am, and by three-ish there were only a dozen or two people around, and by 330 it was three of us on the dance floor. Ugh. People are just programmed to feel tired around 130am, I guess. Sheep...
i hate it when people leave when i think it's too early, too, but i'm lucky to have fridays off. thursdays are my equivalent, and after work i'm just exhausted. i find it hard to stay out really late on the last night of the work week.

it's also tough in a city where i have to drive an hour or so to and from the club on a high-traffic night (damn living in the oc :no: ). when public transportation gets better, i'll stay later.