Clubplanet Nightlife Community

[Review] Angel Moraes @ Pacha: Great music/Ugly crowd

Personally I liked it a lot. Angel definitely deserves a residency @ Pacha, and it should be a nice option for Saturday nights.

GOOD THINGS:

The music. Angel played mostly progressive house and some excellent tribal. He came on around 1:30 and dropped bomb after bomb. I heard an interesting remix of "Deeper and Depper"; there were a couple of Electro tracks, but they were bearable. The opening DJ (Dave Vasquez ?? ) was very good too. Angel absolutely proved that he is capable of delivering the vibe; if it weren't for the sucky crowd, the party would've been awesome.

The sound. The system sounded great. I actually thought it wasn't loud enough.

The theme. The party was themed "Dark & Delicious"; I guess the reason was because there were two black girl dancers. First they danced in the DJ booth, then in the mezannine, then on woofers on the dance floor. In my opinion, they were modelesque, but there should be more dancers and they should be more naked. Nice try anyway.

The alcohol. "Double Grey Goose and Cranberry" apparently meant "fill up a glass with vodka and add a splash of juice over the top". Nice!

The entry. Easy: less than 5 minutes on the line without prepaid tickets or a guest list.

Girls fighting downstairs. I only saw the end of it: bouncers were pulling girls away, who were rolling on the floor pulling each others' hair out. My compliments to a cute brunette in jeans and black boots who kicked her opponent in the face! Those legs showed a lot of potential - that girl could kick!

BAD THINGS:

The crowd. Once inside, my date looked around completely dazzled and asked: "Is this a Chinese party?" 60% of the people there were Asian, and I thought they weren't good looking. The primary language they spoke was some oriental dialect, not English; and they looked like they were in their 30s or even 40s. I don't think howienewport would've liked them.

Had to leave early. My date really hated the crowd, didn't like the music, so she dragged me out around 2:30... on that note, I wonder - if your girlfriend doesn't like large clubs and can't party past 2AM, is that reason enough to break up with her?

ANGEL is def a great Talent and has been around for a long time with junior vasquez and the original soundfactory (27st) being a big influence on his life.

As for the asians well sadly those types of asians usually in theirlate 30's and 40's and usually off the boat and give alot of the asians who are cool in the scene a bad name. Theres so many great and cool asians out there especialy in the deephpouse scene who dance unbelievavle.

The sound. The system sounded great. I actually thought it wasn't loud enough.

I find this happening when I'm there. I'm on the floor right next to a speaker during Morillo (both times this year) and able to have a normal convo and understand everything my friends say to me...The sound is super duper clean there though. Unreal.

I definitely would have been there if I was in the city this weekend. The crowd at Pacha is usually horrible though...you definitely have to make your own party in that respect! Anyone know when he's coming back?

The only parties there with good crowds are Santana and Morillo, every other time if you dont go with at least a party of 10, its not gonna be a good time, unless you like to join the asians, and do the asian sway dance.

I am kinda curious, why do Asians go to Pacha so much? I've been to Pacha 3 times, and all 3 times it was packed with Asians. Personally I don't care too much, 'cuz I go mostly to hear the DJ, but I can see how people can feel out of place in such a strange crowd. What's so special or appealing about Pacha to Asians? And why do the good looking young Asian girls prefer Crobar over Pacha?

Really hate it when suburban kids come into the city and complain about the diversity here, and then try to say that it's the asians fault for ruining their night and not their own paranoid xenaphobia. I am white myself and find the most boring spots in the city to be the ones that are all or mostly white.

Guest onisakura
Really hate it when suburban kids come into the city and complain about the diversity here, and then try to say that it's the asians fault for ruining their night and not their own paranoid xenaphobia. I am white myself and find the most boring spots in the city to be the ones that are all or mostly white.

When the crowd is mostly asians that bump into you with no apology, step on your feet, walk in between you and your date when there is less than a foot between you, hit you with their hands when doing the famous sway dance, are just downright obnoxious and you end up frustrated because you can't seem to get away from them - thats not diversity. Thats a fuckin takeover.

9mile, the diversity is not a problem. Lack of diversity is a problem @ Pacha. If you walk into a party packed with Asians or any other nationality for that matter who don't speak English and you feel perfectly in place, then you are more adaptable than anyone I know.

The crowd matters because the vibe depends on the crowd. The vibe at a party where most people are non-English-speaking Asians is completely different from, for example, the vibe @ Cielo on Saturday nights, where the crowd is, actually, diverse. That's not xenaphobia at all :)

Guest onisakura
:rolleyes:

but a club full of white people bumping into you, waving their hands in the air and doing "the shuffle" is just fine, right?

If by white people you mean guidos in fake tans, with the standard issue A|X muscle shirt, terry headband and armband and loads of hair gel, i'd tell you that thankfully that kind of experience hasn't happened to me. They are usually the minority and i can heckle them without fear of being outnumbered.