Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Does Newport Still Make Non-Menthol?

keough

being from the "hood" i feel qualified to answer this question... i have seen many people smoke newports and not once have they been w/o that menthol odor or a green box. you sure they were newports and not another ghetto brand?

agreed.

no s/he is right... newport non-menthol regulars used to be in a red box, and newport lights non-menthol were in a mustard coloured box... but this is also when a pack of stoges was $1.75... (sidenote i remember when i was a "rebellious" youth full of teenage angst... i would say to everyone wow 1.75 for stoges im quitting when they reach 2.00 then they went to 2.15 then 2.25 then 2.50 then i just quit altogether... i still smoke a few here and there when im drunk, and or a cigar or two at a bbq or after dinner meal)

*wow, what a waste of time typing that... noone really gives a shit buddy...

Yeah this goes wayyy back. Ha, I remember in HS when you could use your lunch money for a pack of cigarettes. Now like 3 kids gotta combine to buy a pack. I found some article that said non-menthol Newports were introduced around 1999, but then I guess stopped because no one wanted a non-menthol newport. Apparently Newports are also the most popular cigarette in the US.

Keough

long story short, big tobacco feared legalization of marijuana, and thought it would face lower sales in years to come if it was legalized... so they marketed them as a compliment to marijuana, which they claimed would make the "high" last longer or increase it... something that like that... i dont remember its been a long time since i read that article... but something to that effect... im sure you can find it on google...

You are ON THE MONEY! not that i would know anything about that sort of thing........

how u been bro??

isnt this wild: "~75% of African American smokers prefer menthol cigarettes" over non-menthol cigarettes... thats wild, and during the 70's big tobacco donated money to african charities and advertised heavily in urban areas with menthol stoges over naturals...