Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who Sucks More - Jersey DJs or the Jersey Crowd?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty simple, all the Jersey producers that I know of got no love from the Jersey crowds and promoters so the went where they got love and said the hell with all the bullshit.

HAHAHA... nicely put... i think? lol

not really....cuz if you think about. Alot of the TOP DJs in Jersey are influenced by other sounds. You can't say Richie Santana has a Jersey sound cuz he doesn't, you can't say Richie Rydell has a jersey sound cuz he doesn't, you can't say Anthony DeVito has a Jersey sound cuz he doesn't. Those guys and many others are influenced by other sounds

I agree... So, where are the producers in Jersey who are not concerned about sounding like other records? surely there has to be a few producers who just write some bangin beats with no care of sounding like the latest hit song, no? i mean, all the popular names that ring a bell have their own sound. where would they be today if they sounded like someone else? where would music be if these people decided to sound like everyone else? wow... i can't believe that we don't have producers in-state who can sound like their own "band" instead of others, right? where are you guys?

I DOUBT I HEARD U CANT TAKE UR SHIRT OFF AND DJ IN BRICK ANYMORE...LOL

RULE 12 SECTION 5 PAGE 3 ROW 5..... CHECK IT OUT...LOL

what did you guys think of my idea. havin an open table night. hmmmmm lol have it a a good club with good sound and on a mid week night. if it was fall i would push my ass out there for it. what u think.

Z

what did you guys think of my idea. havin an open table night. hmmmmm lol have it a a good club with good sound and on a mid week night. if it was fall i would push my ass out there for it. what u think.

Z

im always down to check out something new... but, for me - it would have to more then just 4 house deejays or 2 house dee jays and 2 tribal dee jays, etc... i would like to see 1/2 hour or 45 minute sets of:

1 - electro/indie rock dj

1 - mash up dj

1 - new wave/ new house dj

1 - dub/trip hop/miami bass dj

and maybe a performance from some band - electronic or not

i dunno... thats what would pull me out... different shit... for me - it couldnt be just a bunch of djs spinning the same records or style unless they each did a whole lot more then just faded between beats, otherwise it's all the same then... i wanna see djs challenge and try new things... mix new shit... create a new vibe... etc... maybe get their head shaved while mixing? lol

i dunno - entertain me man...lol

No I am. I'm just not touching this conversation with a ten foot pole. lol. But it is true, that is very hard to balance the business of making money and trying to offer something cool and different. For instance, lets say I went out and found the ten best undiscovered DJ's in the state and put them on a rotation for a month. And lets say they were all fantastic. How many people could I expect to come to those nights. I'd still have to staff the club, which means making bartenders work a shift where they make no money. I have to pay bouncers. I'd have to spend some money on promotion. Even if its just flyers. Even if I downstaffed, I'd never turn a profit. There just isn't a market for it in this state, or more specifically this area. Its not about the music here, its about the scene. And if the girls dont know the words to every song so they can sing along to the chorus they think the dj sucks.

No I am. I'm just not touching this conversation with a ten foot pole. lol. But it is true, that is very hard to balance the business of making money and trying to offer something cool and different. For instance, lets say I went out and found the ten best undiscovered DJ's in the state and put them on a rotation for a month. And lets say they were all fantastic. How many people could I expect to come to those nights. I'd still have to staff the club, which means making bartenders work a shift where they make no money. I have to pay bouncers. I'd have to spend some money on promotion. Even if its just flyers. Even if I downstaffed, I'd never turn a profit. There just isn't a market for it in this state, or more specifically this area. Its not about the music here, its about the scene. And if the girls dont know the words to every song so they can sing along to the chorus they think the dj sucks.

is it possible to build a scene? to build a brand and a DJ? it's not the same business model as running a night club as this model is based on building new brands and breaking talent as opposed to leveraging others brands and offering familiarity. The break new brands/talent model is more closely related to the Limelight and Keoki or others that have created "coolness" of their own. Granted, we all know that these specific businesses have had very deep pockets to perpetuate them through the early downside of starting up and the early over spend on marketing to aquire patrons quicker, but - it is possible in NJ if someone was able to afford such a model, no?

exactly my point.

well, i don'y know if that sounds like a great idea... lol - and, maybe i didn't make myself too clear by my suggestion or question... i basically commented on why open up just "another" club? if all the clubs play the same music and serve the same drinks at relatively the same price, the only advantage they have is location ie the amount of the market size in their hood to draw upon cash income from. my point was asking, why have we seen very little, if any, pioneering investors? i mean, you hear about people investing in talent all the time, but not into DJs/producers - why is that? Notice I said /producers, not just a DJ. obviously - cause DJing is a very difficult market to prove uniqe in considering the vast amount of the DJ's time is focused on playing other people's "hits."

And, why is it people automatically think of trance and techno? I mean, I have been listening to electronic music for quite a long time and I have a vast appreciation for many styles and trance being way at the bottom of the list. There is plenty of genres to choose from to mix and mash up into a "party." Just as there are plenty of hip-hop genres to mash up for a good time ie you never just hear a set of crunk or just a set of gangster shit. The Hip-Hop DJs blend all styles of Hip-Hop including reggatone, thug shit, pop shit, bass beats, east coast, west coast, etc... Why must a "dance party" just be house music all night long?

Why is it so difficult to get these types of "music" concious venues up and running? Well, to each their own, but my personal belief is that we have an American EGO which creates very tall walls for such music to hurdle. I believe that if the song does not contain english speaking vocals to tell the listener in their own laguage what to feel about the song, the avergae American listener chooses that the song is not "good" because it requires too much effort on their part to be an "active" listener to participate and create their own story.

This comment can be supported by looking over seas where language in music can be considered a barrier to entry due to the vast amounts of countries/languages bundled together. It may be more difficult to sell vocal music because someon who understands German may not understand Spanish vs Italian vs Dutch, etc... Thus creating more of a demand for MUSIC and not Vocal Pop Music (and yes, I know - their is a British Pop scene which is doing well).

Is it true that we live in a country where everything needs to be spoon fed for us to digest it - be it art, fashion, food or music. Is it this sort of thinking that stifles creativity and change?

So, we may find it difficult to stomach "music" only because we are too lazy to participate in the "eating" of music and rather prefer someone else feed it to us. And if this is the case, I am just amazed by how often I will hear an argument - which is "better" - some angry hip-hop song pretending to be about pimping vs the wonderful melody and bass line of a song that progressess into an explosive positive time. You tell me where you rather be - pretending to be something your not by shouting pimp lyrics in the suburbs or dancing to music having a great time?