Clubplanet Nightlife Community

TERMINATED (Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi Killed in Air Raid)

obby

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060608/D8I40JL00.html

Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi Killed in Air Raid

Jun 8, 7:27 AM (ET)

By PATRICK QUINN

(AP) This is an image made from video originally posted Tuesday, April 25, 2006 on the Internet showing...

Full Image

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the al-Qaida leader in Iraq who waged a bloody campaign of suicide bombings and beheadings of hostages, has been killed in a precision airstrike, U.S. and Iraqi officials said Thursday. It was a long-sought victory in the war in Iraq.

Al-Zarqawi and seven aides were killed Wednesday evening in a remote area 30 miles northeast of Baghdad in the volatile province of Diyala, just east of the provincial capital of Baqouba, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said.

Al-Qaida in Iraq confirmed al-Zarqawi's death and vowed to continue its "holy war," according to a statement posted on a Web site.

"We want to give you the joyous news of the martyrdom of the mujahed sheik Abu Musab al-Zarqawi," said the statement, signed by "Abu Abdel-Rahman al-Iraqi," identified as the deputy "emir" or leader of al-Qaida in Iraq.

"The death of our leaders is life for us. It will only increase our persistence in continuing holy war so that the word of God will be supreme."

Video from the scene of the attack showed children scrambling over a flattened jumble of cinderblocks, concrete reinforcing bars, blankets and other debris. A pickup truck nearby was scorched and crushed.

capt.8ae93c3aec0a4d9b8e125fe4c5cd84e1.iraq_al_zarqawi_ny115.jpg?x=280&y=345&sig=s15s3u.2NGAfY9dblL6_9w--

Video Headline: Target Eliminated

Click on the URL below to watch the video:

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/launchPage.html?060806/060806_military_presser&Target%20Eliminated&FOX_Friends&Coalition%20releases%20video%20of%20Zarqawi%20air%20strike&World&-1&Target%20Eliminated&Video%20Launch%20Page

U.S. forces delivered justice to the most wanted terrorist in Iraq … The ideology of terror has lost one of its most visible and aggressive leaders."

—President George W. Bush, in a statement reacting to the death of Zarqawi

“The death of al-Zarqawi is a strike against Al Qaeda in Iraq and therefore a strike against Al Qaeda everywhere. We should have no illusions. We know they will continue to kill, we know there are many, many obstacles to overcome. But they also know that our determination to defeat them is total.”

—British Prime Minister Tony Blair

“This is a message for all those who embrace violence, killing and destruction to stop and to [retreat] before it’s too late. It is an open battle with all those who incite sectarianism.”

—Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, telling a Baghdad news conference that “al-Zarqawi was eliminated”

“The reported death of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is great news for the people of Iraq, the real victims of his murderous behavour.”

—Australian Prime Minister John Howard

“The man was an animal and he deserved what he got. And may he rot in hell.”

—Paul Bigley, the brother of Ken Bigley, a British engineer beheaded by Zarqawi's group in 2004

“I have no sense of relief, just sadness that another human being had to die.”

—Michael Berg, father of beheaded American kidnapping victim Nicholas Berg, saying that he blamed President Bush for his son’s death

“We want to give you the joyous news of the martyrdom of the mujahed sheik Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. The death of our leaders is life for us. It will only increase our persistence in continuing holy war so that the word of God will be supreme.”

—Web site statement signed by "Abu Abdel-Rahman al-Iraqi," identified as the deputy leader of Al Qaeda in Iraq

“People of Islam, God will not let our enemies celebrate and spread corruption in the ground. Expect the right that was stolen to come back to us and destroy the Crusaders.”

—A Web site used by Al Qaeda in Iraq

“I thank God and the Iraqi government for this huge gift. I don't know how I'm going to celebrate but I know that this is the happiest day of my life.”

—Retired Iraqi teacher Isa Younis, 66

“We received this news with great joy, but our greater joy will be the departure of the occupation forces from Iraq.”

—Sahib al-Amiri, a member of radical Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr's group in the southern Iraqi city of Basra

"I love chocolate puddin because it makes my eyes dance and my face look all crazy"

—Bill Cosby

"Times flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

—Groucho Marx