Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Kenny Lay is dead

The extraordinary rise and fall of Kenneth Lay unexpectedly ended early this morning, when the founder and former chairman of Enron died at his vacation home in Aspen, Colo., according to the office of his lawyer, Michael Ramsey.

Lay was 64, and his death was apparently due to a massive heart attack. He was awaiting sentencing after being found guilty in May of securities fraud linked to the downfall of Enron, the Houston-based energy company that he built into one of America’s leading businesses before presiding over its failure in 2001.

Along with former Enron President Jeffrey Skilling, Lay was scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 23. Lay faced up to 45 years in prison, likely a life sentence. After a 14-week trial that included testimony from 54 witnesses, Lay was convicted May 25 on six counts of conspiracy fraud for his role in one of the biggest corporate scandals in U.S. history.

Skilling, 52, was convicted on 19 of 28 counts of conspiracy, fraud, insider trading and making false statements.

The U.S. Department of Justice declined to comment on the implications of Lay's death for Skilling's sentencing schedule or other outstanding suits related to Enron's activities.

Starting in the 1980s, Lay quickly expanded Enron from a natural-gas pipeline business into an energy and trading conglomerate that became the seventh-largest publicly traded company in the country, with $101 billion in annual revenue. Lay, who became a prominent figure in Houston, was nicknamed “Kenny Boy†by President George W. Bush, the former Texas governor, who reportedly received $550,000 in contributions from Enron, its employees and their relatives during his political career.

Enron suddenly collapsed after it was revealed that Lay and Skilling had defrauded investors and employees by lying about Enron's financial health in the months before they filed for bankruptcy in December 2001.

The two executives' convictions, which followed a four and a half year investigation, were considered a key test of the government's efforts in its war on corporate fraud.

Along with Skilling and Lay, the convictions included 16 other guilty pleas from former Enron executives, including Chief Financial Officer Andrew Fastow and Chief Accounting Officer Richard Causey.

The case led to a wave of corporate and regulatory reforms, including the 2002 Sarbanes-Oxley Act, which tightened financial reporting standards in the United States.

http://www.forbes.com/home/business/2006/07/05/lay-enron-skilling-cx_mc_0705laydeath.html

it was as a suicide earlier on the drudge report than they changed it to heart attack..

self induced heart attack perhaps..

i hope the fucker rots in hell. it wasn't fair what he did to all those employees.. left them with nothing.

i would have rather him rot in jail then die like this. man that sucks.

i hope the fucker rots in hell. it wasn't fair what he did to all those employees.. left them with nothing.

i would have rather him rot in jail then die like this. man that sucks.

yeah my dad had stock. Lost 20k

Lay was the example of all bush supporters. A criminal bent on fucking over americans, in his case, former enron employees and their families. I'm glad the right wing nazi loving fuck is dead. I hope he burns in hell. Gotta love how fox news glorifies criminals and the way they glorified him simply because he was a republikkkan. Then again, fox news glorifies criminals from the back alleys of urbanania to the office of the right wing politician to the corporate offices. Hell, they even praised people who rape, rob and murder.

If we locked up all criminals, the gop would have no base.

Could that be the reason they secretly pardon them? To save their own base? Too bad they missed the bus on Kenny Lay.

Lay was the example of all bush supporters. A criminal bent on fucking over americans, in his case, former enron employees and their families. I'm glad the right wing nazi loving fuck is dead. I hope he burns in hell. Gotta love how fox news glorifies criminals and the way they glorified him simply because he was a republikkkan. Then again, fox news glorifies criminals from the back alleys of urbanania to the office of the right wing politician to the corporate offices. Hell, they even praised people who rape, rob and murder.

If we locked up all criminals, the gop would have no base.

Could that be the reason they secretly pardon them? To save their own base? Too bad they missed the bus on Kenny Lay.

Sean Hannity for president!

Here's one for you pussy ass conspiracy theorist.

Bush helped him fake his death and he is now living on a remote Island sipping rum and coconut juice.

there are farther fetched ideas in this world

how those WMDs santorum found working out for ya OBBY

well unless Sdaaam was able to unscrew the caps of htose degraded shells and smear the 20 yr old sarin/ mustard gas oon the faces of our troops for any effectivness , i wouldnt call them WMD

nice try though , and i still dont think that dog and pony show stunt is gonna get Santorum re-elected ,

No. The ones that he dismantled after the gulf war that no longer exist. Apparently you haven't kept up. Charles Duelfer, Bush's own weapons inspector wants to have a word with you.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/reports/iraq_wmd_2004/chap5.html

Don't go off in a tizzy because the Bush Administration later admitted there were none.

Hey Obby... Where's Osama?