Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Suggestions for dealing with a top club directly (table/bottles)

greenie

A lot of people seem to ask about this quite often, both in the forum and via PM, and given the recent thread on door frustrations at Tryst, I thought I'd write this up.

Everything in this thread is assuming you don't already have a relationship with a host or other senior staffer at a top club.

While I always recommend working with a reliable, independent host, it's certainly not a requirement. Their job is to take all of the stress and hassle away from reserving a table and gaining swift entry; you're paying them to do the dance for you.

But should you want to take on this task yourself, some recommendations based on my personal experiences in Vegas, NYC, Chicago, Boston and London:

1. When booking, get the essential details:

- Full name of your host

- Mobile # of your host

- Best time to arrive at the club

2. If your host won't be working that night, get the full name of at least two hosts that will be at the door (or at the very least, on radio) that night.

3. Have your entire party plan on getting to the club at least 15 minutes earlier than the time you were told by your host. No matter what, do not be late.

4. When you arrive, force your way to the front of the crowd. Period. You've got a table reservation, and the majority of those jokers do not.

5. When you get to the front, politely inform the nearest doorperson that you made a table reservation, and use your host's full name. If it's a particularly crazy night and/or particularly hot club, the $20 handshake isn't a bad idea here, nor is getting the name of the doorperson.

6. Once you're speaking with a host, be polite and professional. Introduce yourself, make sure to catch their name (if they're not the host you booked through), confirm the number in your party (e.g. "5 guys" or "3 guys, 3 gals") and that you're all here.

7. If the host then disappears on you for more than 15 minutes (some would say 10), politely get the attention of the doorperson you met earlier, mention that you haven't seen your host for 15 minutes and ask for their assistance.

8. If it still feels like you're being neglected or otherwise getting the run-around, speak to another host and politely explain that you understand it's a busy night, then ask if there's anything you can do. They may ask you to take care of them, they may ask that you agree to a higher bottle minimum, they may ask both. But in most cases they'll just check the list and take care of you.

9. Last but not least, once your entire party is inside and brought to the table, make absolutely sure to tip your host. Well. This may sound like a no-brainer to some of you, but I can't tell you how many people I've seen (and known) not tip the host... and then wind up getting slow service, moved to another location, or pressured for more bottles at the risk of losing the table.

This whole routine may not be fair, it may not be right, but such is life for the great unwashed. Whether for lack of fame or fortune, you're an unknown, so like it or not that means playing by their rules.

(and as we regularly see happen at many top clubs in Vegas, even the rich and famous are themselves subject to the runaround)

• 4 weeks later...

I will say any groups of guys over 6 hit the host 200 more if you like the table. Mixed groups of 9 or less maybe like 125-175. 10 or more do the 200-250 thing. You will see alot of the time, you throw host a little green and ask them can we lower the minimum for bottles, they will agree, but remember names, when your bill comes you want to know who is sticking it to you. most clubs if its 3 bottle minimum then work them for half priced 4th bottle. This stuff works