Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Minimal is Over Predicts German Minimal Star

thehype

Extracted from the Scrufff-e newsletter 8th Sept 06

Minimal is Over Predicts German Minimal Star

Kristan Beyer from German electronic duo Ame chatted to Skrufff this week about their already hugely successful minimal tech-house anthem Rej and revealed that he absolutely loathes most minimal music.

³Some tracks are good but in my opinion 90% of this music is bullshit,² said Kristan.

³Rej is a big hit with the American guys like Louis Vegas, Francois Kevorkian, Timmy Regisford as well as the minimal guys like Richie Hawtin but we¹ve never made minimal music and I don¹t like minimal music at all,² he stressed.

³We think it¹s only popular because it¹s the best music to accompany the drugs people do these days. In Germany we call it ketamine music,² he added.

The former Sonar Kollektiv star and Jazzanova peer stressed Ame come from a Œmore traditional house and techno music¹ background and predicted minimals days are numbered.

Even in Berlin, people are starting to get bored of this music,² he said.

I know a lot of people on the scene, Steve Bug, for example, is a good friend of mine, as are the guys doing the Perlon label, who are famous for minimal and they¹re bored of it. Berlin¹s where it started and the fact the people there are bored of it, to me means there will be a big impact on it in a couple of months and minimal will go down and something new will emerge. I don¹t know what style, maybe house?² he guessed.

UK house star Felix Buxton from Basement Jaxx also admitted to feeling less than impressed with most of what passes for minimal, telling One Week To Live Œdon¹t get me wrong it serves a purpose and sounds good in clubs but the riffs are all just old house riffs. And most of them are quite boring, considering it¹s meant to be futuristic house music,² he added,

Ames Rej is (re)- released on Defected Records imminently, with two new remixes by the Pasta Boys and 100 Birds.

what do you think???

i for one love Ame- Rej because it sounds pretty good on my ipod and also at the clubs.. when played by a good dj in agood sound system. but i think mimnimal is still gonna be around for a while maybe not in clubs as much anymore but around the Minimal heads. i love dancing to minimal dont see alot of people dancing to it maybe caus etheir so messed up that they cant move?? but i enjoy dancing /listening to minimal when its the right song and i like it,but when the guys that make the actual tracks start saying that it wont last then you know shit is going down hill. just like everything else in this fawking scene.....

"Rej" is the most un-minimal minimal track I can think of. There is stuff waaaaay more subtle, quiet, er...minimal. I can't particularly listen to too much of it. A bit here and there I like: Loco Dice, some Steve Bug, Trentemoller...but I would agree that it's gotten quite formulaic as of late and an entire set of it would not be something I'd choose to hear, in a club or in my headphones.

same could be said for tribal a few yrs ago and electro both have been around forever before they blew up. nothing new in house music

agreed, its all the same stuff that all the original pioneers thought up but new generations keep embracing it. its what keeps the music alive. that old "minimal" or "electro" sound to us might be somthing total new and amazing to joe random when he first goes clubbin and hears it.

there are alot of other songs more minimal than Rej. its classified as house IMO

yea, seriously...

rej to me doesnt seem THAT minimal. its a nice track, but i think it definately got played out by now. as for minimal itself... i think it has no balls... it could put me to sleep after a while, its just so boring. however, as some of you guys said, there is SOME (extremely little) minimal that I like... trentemoller for instance, i think is THE BOMB, although his productions are minimal 80% of the time

lol funny how minimal has been around for YEARRRRRRRRRRRRS and only gets attention now

Thank you.

Minimal is not going anywhere.

Maybe its 15 minutes are up, but it will be around.

90% of this thread is people proving that they really know nothing about minimal, the history of minimal, or what the sound really is.

90% of this thread is people proving that they really know nothing about minimal, the history of minimal, or what the sound really is.

same goes for house music on this site, oh wait........some would call this music edm (hate that fuckin term), house is house.