lay_r2_c11.jpg

DrinkCocaine.com

www.myspace.com/drinkcocaine

NJ.com: Everything Jersey

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

BY CAROL ANN CAMPBELL

Star-Ledger Staff

"Can you handle the rush?"

In the competitive market for "energy drinks," the aim is to advertise more caffeine, more buzz, more attitude.

Even more controversy.

The latest beverage to bust from the pack promises the euphoria of drug use -- but legally. And it's getting attention all right -- especially from anti-drug advocates.

The Cocaine Energy Drink, created by a Las Vegas beverage maker, contains no narcotics but boasts on its Web site, "Instant Rush. No Crash!"

Drinkers are told they will experience the "highest energy content of ANY energy drink on the market today! 350 percent greater than The Bull!" -- a reference to Red Bull energy drink.

The Web site says drinkers will experience "possible feelings of euphoria," all, apparently, from sugar and caffeine.

Drug experts are appalled, and so are nutritionists, who say young people use the stimulating drinks to help them party through the night.

"Kids get hopped-up on drinks called Cocaine and Xtazy and then what happens when someone offers them a line of real cocaine or an Ecstasy pill?" said Joseph A. Califano Jr., president of the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University in New York. He said the drinks glamorize drugs that destroy lives.

The beverage Cocaine joins other so-called energy drinks using provocative names and edgy advertising to make a splash in the crowded field of sugary, highly caffeinated drinks.

Called Xtazy Energy, PimpJuice and Tantra Erotic Drink, most are aimed at young people and advertised heavily on the Internet.

The Cocaine Energy Drink, by Redux Beverages, so far is available mostly in clubs in New York and California, but it will be available online, the Web site said.

The name, not the caffeine content, is creating the furor.

"I can't believe they would name a drink after a street drug," said Andre Emont, director of pharmaceutical services at UMDNJ-University Hospital in Newark. "They are associating this with a drug people abuse."

Industry experts seem less alarmed and say marketing campaigns for the new energy drinks are merely trying to take on a "street attitude" and stand out from the crowd.

"They are going after the savvy, sophisticated 20-something male. They used to show extreme sports, like skateboarding. Now they are taking on a street attitude," said Sarah Theodore, editor of Beverage Industry magazine, a trade publication based in Deerfield, Ill.

Nutritionists say most of the new energy drinks contain traditional caffeine, as well as Guarana, another source of caffeine, to create products with caffeine contents that rival espresso. They also have a lot of sugar.

Few are healthful drinks, regardless of their claims to contain vitamins, nutritionists said. The "Cocaine" drink contains vitamins C, B-6 and B-12, according to the Web site.

"Those vitamins are already ubiquitous, even in the most horrible diet. We don't need them in a drink," said Diane Radler, a clinical nutritionist at the UMDNJ-School of Health Related Professions.

She said young people sometimes use these energy drinks to counter the depressive effects of alcohol so they can stay up late and drink.

"They may be so stimulated they don't feel intoxicated as much as they are," Radler said. "That can lead to reckless behavior and dehydration."

Indeed, the "Cocaine Energy Drink" Web site said, "We do not technically advocate mixing Cocaine with alcohol, but if we did here's what we'd try." The site then provides recipes mixing spirits such as vodka and rum into the drink.

The Web site contains no address or telephone number. E-mails to the company for comment were not returned yesterday.

The Web site said the Cocaine drink will be part of the tour for several top acts, such as Mary J. Blige.

"They have some of the hottest acts," Califano said. "The Web site has links to myspace.com. They are marketing to all these kids."

my friend and I were looking at the ingredients on a can of this energy drink called "Excite" (I think) and it has a precursor to G in it. I'm sure it's in such a small amount that you would have to drink tons of it for it to do anything but it's still kind of crazy.

CHROME CLEAN Gives You An Incredible Shine All The Time.

This is due to our formula that contains 100% pure Gamma Butyrolactone. It is a Safe, Non-Toxic, Completely Biodegradeable and Water-Soluble Formula.

Chrome Clean will easily do away with Stains, Dullness, and Grime, leaving your chrome accessories with an incredible shine.

(bring the G back)

How did you know it was a precursor then Mr. Wizard?

b/c my friend used to make G in his dorm room and it was the same stuff he used...the chemical isn't illegal, it's in a lot of cleaning products and stuff (as stymie pointed out), but I thought it was pretty ballsy to put it in a drink.

pantypatrol -- I used to live in a ridiculously nice building downtown but I just moved...I guess I better edit that now that I know people are paying such close attention.