Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dance/funky house in New York?

Hi All

I'm heading to New York from London from Weds 8th to Weds 22nd November and want to sample some of the club scene.

I'm an eclectic dance and funky house fan: van Helden, Judge Jules, Ferry Corsten, Oakenfold, Rogue Traders (!), David Guetta, Tiesto etc.

Can anyone recommend some good places to hit while I'm there?

Thanks v much!

Mark

Also depends on if you only want to hear international/touring DJs in NYC or local talent in NYC. If you write back with which you want, I can give you some suggestions.

i'm keen to see any touring dj's if there are any on during the 2 weeks i'm there, but i think even better would be if you can recommend some local talent at clubs that aren't gonna be in the guidebooks!

thanks deepsee!!!

LOL shlotion...i woulda come out with "full disclosure" anyway ;)

Marctimms...if you are looking for local talent, these are my suggestions...touring DJs are great, but I think when visiting a city it's also cool to see the local hot parties/DJs/etc

Mondays:

Francois K at Deep Space at Cielo. The man is a master, what more can be said. Techno, tech house, dub, drum & bass, soul...you never know what FK will give you but it will be diverse and totally genre-free! Cielo's also a gorgeous club and if you want to see some of NYC's best places, you should absolutely go to Cielo. Welcome to Cielo NYC

Tuesdays:

I do my own party on Tuesdays called (drumroll) Deep See LOL. We play techno, tech-house, dirty funky aggressive house. IT's me & my DJ partner EMan. Small club with a crew of dedicated dancers (serious house dancers!) that come thru each week. You can get more info at -=[ deep see :: underground house music served new york style ]=-

Wednesdays:

There's Roots at Cielo. Residents are Louie Vega (Masters at Work) and Kevin Hedge (Westend Records) but if they are touring or away, you might get the fill-in crew which is usually Mr. V or Alix Alverez or somebody and they are also great! This is more for a soulful, vocal type sound...more "traditional" NYC/East Coast style vocal house sound.

For a smaller vibe, there's "Soulgasm" at Sin Sin (2nd Ave. & 5th St.). Also a dancers' spot. DJ is either Brian Coxx or Julian Bevan aka DJ 138.

Saturdays:

There's always Shelter. I guess that is a very "New York" experience. Timmy Regisford, Sting International, etc. This is a very soulful club experience, but Timmy is known to sometimes go on tangeants picking up other sounds like tech, etc. Clubshelter - the longest running Underground House Music in NYC

First Saturday of the month: Vibal Saturdays with Tedd Patterson at Cielo (notice Cielo is on this list a lot, huh?!). Tedd is an awesome dj...I think many will echo that sentiment here. Tribal, tech, progressive, etc. he plays his own sound...groovy, funky with a slow build that'll have you dancing all night!

As for other nights of the week, sheesh, I am at a loss! There are local DJs and parties that are not necessarily weeklies but I would seriously recommend.

Robots throws some great events for minimal tech. We Are Robots. I think they have a new residency at Cielo, not sure which nights. They usually bring in very interesting guests as well.

The club Love is one of the best rooms in NYC. Small and dark with an incredible soundsystem. This will be a TRULY NYC experience. Relocate

APT hosts some good events in their small club in the Meatpacking (trendy) district. A P T w13st. nyc. Mondays are Bobbito (hiphop, soul, funk), wednesdays Rich Medina (cross-genre amazing programming), thursdays rotate, everything from Afrokinetic (soulful house) to The Novay (minimal house). Check the website for info.

When you get here, pick up the magazine Time Out New York (at any news stand) and go to the clubs section to see what appeals. Have fun!

LOL shlotion...i woulda come out with "full disclosure" anyway ;)
- i don't like to blow out other peoples :bday: birthday candles :D
Marctimms...if you are looking for local talent, these are my suggestions...touring DJs are great, but I think when visiting a city it's also cool to see the local hot parties/DJs/etc

...it seems from your great list you omitted an event... :confused:

- i don't like to blow out other peoples :bday: birthday candles :D

...it seems from your great list you omitted an event... :confused:

Indeed, because I wasn't sure if our new internet friend here was going to be around when we are playing next BUT...

Marctimms...go to myspace.com/stimulusresponse to check out our page for yes another great local party (full disclosure: I am one of the DJs and so is my buddy Shlotion over here :clap2: ). Our party is called stimulus>response. We play at Pacha, sometimes on main floor with another DJ (we have played with Ibiza's Wally Lopez, NYC's DJ Exacta...) sometimes in the basement room, like this Saturday, while Erick Morillo is upstairs. I am not sure if we have a date during your stay, but look us up on myspace! we are a total of four DJs: me, Keith Blackstone, and the Urban Relief Project which is two guys (Sean Cormac & John Cacciatore). Anyhoo...between all of us we cover it all: techno, tech-house, tribal, progressive, latin, soulful, deep....weeeee!

Cheers :)

Hi All

I'm heading to New York from London from Weds 8th to Weds 22nd November and want to sample some of the club scene. Mark

Well on weds the 22nd im having a big party over at LOVE with THAT KID CHRIS, BASHAR and URBAN RELIEF PROJECT, from 9pm till 8am, if your interested let me know i will make sure to take care of you.

As for deepsee (LOla) oh yeah she plays some good stuff check out the stimulus response page on myspace, look at the blog section for pic, videos, and live sets.