Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Big Lou to manage the Cubbies...

lolahotass

I thought he said he WOULDN'T waive it.. but people are just hoping he will if the right situation came along..

AROD would almost surely waive his clause if it meant reuniting with Pinella in Chicago.

Had Pinella not gotten the job in Chicago I would assume he'd be staying with the Yankees. Now I'm not so sure.

btw, codica, stick around. It's refreshing having fans around here that cheer for just ONE team in each sport.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2628823

CHICAGO -- Lou Piniella, who will be formally introduced as the new Chicago Cubs manager Tuesday afternoon, wants to acquire embattled -- and possibly available -- New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez.

Sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.com that Piniella, who is extremely close to Rodriguez, expects the Cubs to aggressively pursue the 10-time All-Star. The 63-year-old manager and the 31-year-old Rodriguez have what amounts to a quasi-father/son relationship; Rodriguez was managed in Seattle by Piniella from 1994-2000. It is that relationship -- and the tantalizing talent of Rodriguez -- that has prompted Piniella to want to explore a trade with the Yankees.

Despite the Yankees' insistence that they have no intention of trading Rodriguez, the former two-time American League MVP seems to have alienated fans and perhaps even teammates with his postseason failures. For the second consecutive year, Rodriguez failed to drive in a run and helped contribute to an early exit by the Yankees, most recently a 3-1 Division Series loss to the Detroit Tigers. In the final game of that series, Rodriguez was dropped to an unheard-of eighth in the batting order. He finished the series 1-for-14 with no extra-base hits and is 4-for-41 (.098) with no RBI in his last 12 postseason games.

Rodriguez has a no-trade clause and could veto any proposed deal. But the idea of playing for Piniella, in the slightly less-pressurized Chicago market, and for a franchise that loves star power could appeal to Rodriguez. So could a chance for a fresh start after a .290-35-121 regular season that wasn't good enough for Yankees fans.

For the Cubs, whose management experienced the rare and unnerving sight of empty seats at Wrigley Field this past season, the attraction of Rodriguez is obvious. He would immediately strengthen a lineup in dire need of power. He is normally an accomplished defensive player. And despite his postseason difficulties, he has a career .305 batting average and 464 career home runs in 13 major league seasons.

With the hiring of Piniella, it is understood that the Cubs will expand their payroll, which was close to $100 million in 2006. Depending on how much they want to spend, the Cubs are one of the few teams capable of taking on Rodriguez's salary. He is owed $95 million for the remaining four years of the landmark 10-year, $252 million deal, he signed with Texas. The Yankees are responsible for paying $66.6 million; the Rangers are paying the other $28.4 million.

A Cubs deal with the Yankees potentially could include third baseman Aramis Ramirez (career highs of 38 home runs and 119 RBI in the regular season), but Ramirez can opt out of his contract and become a free agent this offseason. It is thought the Yankees would also want a quality starting pitcher in any deal involving Rodriguez.

Piniella, who replaces Dusty Baker after the latter's four-season tenure in Chicago, agreed to a three-year deal, with a club option for a fourth, earlier Monday. He has hired most of his coaching staff and has decided, sources say, to retain Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild.

AROD would almost surely waive his clause if it meant reuniting with Pinella in Chicago.

Had Pinella not gotten the job in Chicago I would assume he'd be staying with the Yankees. Now I'm not so sure.

btw, codica, stick around. It's refreshing having fans around here that cheer for just ONE team in each sport.

its also refreshing to have fans that know and love the sport beyond their own team. :rolleyes:

It's nice to see Lou back in the bigs, but I was thinking of him with the Nats and Girardi with the Cubs. We still have Tito for another year, so that is good.

My sincere apologies to you Yankees, but I think A-Rod blows. Maybe if he switched back to short and played with another team he would be better. It may just be the pinstripes ;)

Signing a superstar like ARod would def put fans in the stand. He would become a star over night in Chicago. If that's the Cubs goal then sure trade Zambrano but if they are looking to actually win games I dont see how they can. It's not like they have tons of pitchers to throw out there on any given day. I just dont know if they have enough to make it work. Honestly I am tired of this trade talk with ARod already. Will probably be hearing rumors for the next 3 months :blown:

I agree... There is no way the Cubs are trading Zambrano when Wood & Prior are constantly hurt. I think Wood is a free agent anyway and the Cubs aren't going to sign him... If the Yankees do trade A-Rod I think the Angels and/or White Sox are the most likely destinations...

Signing a superstar like ARod would def put fans in the stand. He would become a star over night in Chicago. If that's the Cubs goal then sure trade Zambrano but if they are looking to actually win games I dont see how they can. It's not like they have tons of pitchers to throw out there on any given day. I just dont know if they have enough to make it work. Honestly I am tired of this trade talk with ARod already. Will probably be hearing rumors for the next 3 months :blown:

What were David Wright's numbers in the playoffs?