Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dance for your right to dance at clubs/bar/lounges in nyc , an important event

Now i know ths might seem like it belongs in upcoming events section. But i am not involve with this event at all. But i believe in the cause behind it and think anyone who is into nightlife and dance should be aware of this which is why i put it on this forum. More people tend to read this forum than the upcoming events, but if mods need to move it then i understand. Anyhow see ya at this event here and there as i will be going back and forth during the day and night.

In NYC antiquated and redundant cabaret laws criminalize dance in most places in the 5 boroughs. Restaurant and bar owners can be fined and shut down if a couple of people are seen dancing. It is illegal for more than 3 people to dance in an unlicensed New York City venue, and licenses are unattainable in most areas of the city. Existing regulations address problems concerning noise and crowding, making the restriction on dance redundant.

Four dancers representing all dance styles brought a suit against the city, saying that dance is a First Amendment protected form of expression. Their claims were denied. The judge ruled that unlike music, theater, film, and painting, dance is not expessive. This event is to show support for thier appeal before the NY Supreme Court.

If your are a dancer trained or freestyle and/or someone who loves to dance at club/bars/lounges then this event is something you should be aware of and if possible be a part of. Wonder why certain venues open up only at certain areas and why its hard for other places to open up or have problems with the law. This cabaret license is a big part of it.

METROPOLIS IN MOTION are inviting all types of dance groups from swing, salsa, tango, house dancers, hip hop, ballet, breakdancers, polka, etc to sign up over at www.metropolisinmotion.org if you would like to be part of a small showcase area. There are spots open to do 60-90 mins dance showcases for those interested in that side of the event.

Anyone who wants to support the cause is welcome to come down and dance and show NYC that people want to dance anywhere they want without having to worry about breaking laws. This event will take place on Friday, Feb 9th all day and all night until NOON, Saturday, Feb 10th ending with a free dance party from 12-2pm on sat, with members of city council in attendance.

Hang out during your lunch break, come have some fun after work, represent for a few before goin out that night, swing thru for late night outdoor fun, whenever you can is basically what im trying to say.

METROPOLIS IN MOTION

DANCE MARATHON

23RD ST AND BROADWAY

MADISON SQUARE PARK

FRIDAY FEB 9TH 12PM- SAT FEB 10TH 2PM.

mmpy9.jpg

Thats heaps awesome ... I can't believe that there would be restrictions on even dancing in New York! I had no idea there was a law like that ... anywhere ... i'm learning or at least am getting the impression that the law is so opressive in NY, bollocks I say. And worst of all sayign that dance is NOT expressive!! It's a goddamn performing art, whether it's ballet or break dancing!

Anyway i'm just ranting, i'll be there! Not because i'm a good dancer but because I like to watch.