Clubplanet Nightlife Community

review: lawler @ vanguard, 3/17/07

weyes

first, a big thanks to cool1g for the list and the vip access :spin2: ! the only thing missing was you :( . the girls with the lists were real sweethearts, but the girl in the trailer needed to chill out :worry: ...

i'll write about the club itself in the new club reviews thread; i've got a lot to say about vanguard, seeing as i'd never been there before, but i should say more about the music, i think.

the music in the vip room was really good :clap: . i was doing some serious chair-dancing, and, looking back, i probably should've really danced. i was trying to save energy for lawler, though. my roommate and i met a super-nice promoter upstairs who chatted with us and even bought my roomie a drink (i was all set). her uber-friendliness was truly a highlight of the evening.

lawler, unfortunately, was a disappointment. i dunno under what category his music falls, but it never seemed to go anywhere that night (i mostly liked his gu, so i was puzzled). for the first 20 mins. or so, the rest of the crowd seemed about as bored as i was. there was a lot of talking going on, which is always a bad sign. it wasn't till he played a song that we all knew that everyone went nuts, hands in the air, jumping around. i love that song, too, but when it was over, he went back to the monotonous stuff. really, the only kind of dancing i could do was stomp my feet, for the most part, so my feet starting hurting. we left around 2.

i will say, though, that the girls hanging from the ceiling with the fabric loops were really entertaining. SO much better than the platform hos we see everywhere else, who just shift back and forth on their feet in platform boots and wear wings :bored: . these girls actually had talent.

overall, i'm glad i went, as i really wanted to go there and to see lawler. his music was not what i had hoped for, but the house dj (meaning that he belongs to vanguard) i heard in the vip room before lawler was top-notch (i didn't catch his name, but he truly was excellent!) and i really like the layout of the club.

thanks again to cool1g :bounce: !!!!!!!

glad you had a good time Weyes :)

i was at a birthday dinner on Sat nite that ran waaaaay longer than expected plus i got some bad news about a family member which i won't go into here except to say i wasn't in the mood for partying.

the DJ you heard in the VIP may have been Kent Christian - he is one of the VIP room residents and usually plays around 11/12ish.

i caught Lawler's set back on Dec 30th at Vanguard and was pretty unimpressed that night too. i liked his older Dark Drums cds and even the electro stuff he played a lot in 05/06.

At least you had a good time overall - that's the most important thing IMO.

glad you had a good time Weyes :)

i was at a birthday dinner on Sat nite that ran waaaaay longer than expected plus i got some bad news about a family member which i won't go into here except to say i wasn't in the mood for partying.

the DJ you heard in the VIP may have been Kent Christian - he is one of the VIP room residents and usually plays around 11/12ish.

i caught Lawler's set back on Dec 30th at Vanguard and was pretty unimpressed that night too. i liked his older Dark Drums cds and even the electro stuff he played a lot in 05/06.

At least you had a good time overall - that's the most important thing IMO.

i'm sorry to hear about your family news; i hope things are better or on their way there :isok: .

we went downstairs at about midnight, so that must have been the dj; thanks!

i really hope i can see you next timeparty_2.gif !