Clubplanet Nightlife Community

War against the evil of drugs must continue

Printed in the Star Ledger 8/23 - Speaking Up column

WAR AGAINST THE EVIL OF DRUGS MUST CONTINUE

by Matthew Hopkins

Many people are saying we should end the "failed drug war." The logic goes something like this: There has been a war on drugs, but drugs are still around, so obviously the war has failed. Besides, drug use is a victimless crime, and drug users need rehabilitation, not jail time.

There are many problems with these arguments. First, the idea that the continued existence of drug abuse means that the drug war must have failed is poor reasoning. There is no telling what the rate of abuse would be if law enforcement weren't fighting the drug trade. Also, the logic of "failed war" argument could be extended to say the continued existence of cancer means the fight against that disease has failed and should be abandoned.

Next, drug use is not a victimless crime. In addition to all the victimes of crimes committed by people under the influence of drugs, the user himself is a victim.

I have no problem with people arrested for drug use being sent to rehab programs. But I do not believe that drug arrests should be excluded from criminal records or that drug use should be viewed as a personal mistake and not a crime.

My main reason for opposing calls to end the drug war is simple: Drugs are evil. I know that today it is not fashionable to talk about such an absolute moral term as evil. And it is seen to be especially foolish to apply that to term to inanimate chemicals. However, I stand by my belief that drugs are evil.

Drug addicts lie, cheat and steal to support their habits. Drug use destroys friendships and rips apart families. People under the influence of drugs do thing they never would under normal circumstances. Dealers know what they are selling is poison, but they continue to sell because of greed and lust for power. Drug addiction takes over a person's life and controls his actions just as much as any demon from myth. If these are not elements of evil, then nothing is.

The fight against drugs is not easy, but it is a just cause. There will always be drug use, but that does not mean we are defeated. We may never be able to claim final victory in the war, but that does not mean we should surrender.

--Matthew Hopkins of Cedar Grove is a graduate of Thomas Edison State College with a degree in psychology.

We need to write back to disprove all this bullshit propaganda this moron is spitting out.

------------------

Mushrooms... how to see god, be god, and make god obsolete while listening to Pink Floyd

with you one this one. two years ago my mom called me an said she saw this show on tv about *raves* and that they were all bout drugs-and she *knew* i had done them. and i did not lie to her. never have about that -although i do not tell her all...i replied that if she wasn't 50 and set in her ways would reccomend a trip on a psycotropic drug with someone who has done it who could act like a guide...and i explained to her that i would never give my expierences up. they are part of what has made me who i am and i love me. and she loves me. and then i sent her some books i have on lsd and mdma. she saw the light on the fact that drugs, per se, are not bad-people missuse them. some of them can be very harmful and are sneake (read coke herion) but people also over eat. over exercise. over clean. these are all manifestations of the (basically) same aliment with in themselves. granted it is better to be an over cleaner than to main line coke but essentially it is all the same. education is the key. right on with posting this information so we can be more educated on what is happening in OUR lives and take an active part.

Agreed, but that's just one writer in one paper. Articles like that are all over the place now. We need real representation, and I wonder if anyone is on top of it yet. I'll let u all know what I find, or else, goddam, I swear I'm packing a couple things and heading to washington to give congress a piece of my little university-educated-occasional-drug-using-writer mind!

Jeez, wottaclown! Somebody get that guy laid, pleaase!

------------------

All for fun and fun for all

mbdewey@yahoo.com

What a goodie goodie, pansy, mama's boy.

I say give everyone E and there won't be wars about anything! How could you hurt someone when you are too busy telling them how beautiful they are?

------------------

A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to it's old dimensions.