Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Music faq... please ad commments...

My quick classification...

DT @ Vinyl: House, tech-house, deep house, garage, some hard trance and tribal

Junior @ Twilo: Tribal, progressive house, trance, hard house

JP @ SF: Progressive house, commercial vocal house, hard house, trance, tech-house

Twilo Fridays-

Digweed: Hard Trance, tech house, house

Sasha: Trance, tech house, progressive trance

PVD: progressive trance

Deep dish: house, deep house, tech house

Carl Cox: Tech house, techno, hard house.

------------------

"Children, come together, in the spirit, OF HOUSE" -Aaron Carl

I can't tell if you're defending me, or calling me a dick.

Either way, I don't care. This is NOT biting my anything. It's all good. Now chill aight?

About PVD, would anyone else go as far as to suggest he's been dropping nu-skool breaks?

And how about Exit? There's a style of music there I have come to refer to as "NY Trance" when I'm being nice, "zipper trance" any other time. At satellite, they classify it under "Progressive Hard House". I find it neither progressive, nor House, though it is indeed hard. It's a very popular sound here now, but about 6 months after it's time IMHO.

Exit = NY Trance (unless someone has a better definition)

------------------

keep it cutlary

www.spoonyd.iwarp.com

PVD does play break beats, or break beat trance as Blueangel called it. Though I'd say he plays only a bit of tech-house and more progressive trance.

------------------

May be one day I'll be an honest man... Up till now I do the best I can.

Originally posted by Nolimit:

LOL

There is NO WAY Diggers play HARD TRANCE. Thank god for that!

And some of those djs u listed don't just stick to one genre. They might play a little of everything.

Yeah Diggers is more like Deep House / Tech house

------------------

Save the Drama fo ya Mama

As my stars indicate, I am new school. So what the hell is the difference between "Deep" and "Tech" house? The samples? The bpm? This goes for all the other adjectives, ie progressive.

------------------

Mushrooms... how to see god, be god, and make god obsolete while listening to Pink Floyd

I have for a long time been opposed to the genrefication of music....

one man's techno is another man's tech-house is another man's hard house is another man's hardcore is another man's rave track is another man's anthem is another man's bangin' track..........

I think u see my point

Fuck the labels!

wink.gif

------------------

..................coming soon to a dancefloor near you------------------> boa_boy@yahoo.com

I agreee with most of these DJ classifications, but have to go with boa boy here. It blows my mind how differently some of us will review the same shows.

And yeah, PVD has been spinnin some breaks, but I'm not sure I'd classify him that way yet.

My $0.02.

Melissa

------------------

All for fun and fun for all

mbdewey@yahoo.com

Hey spooneyd... dont know whats up with the other dude...i thought youre idea was cool... Well most dj's i know call the "NY TRANCE" stuff... 'trance lite' or euro-pop commercial trance, because it really isnt trance. Im a house guy, but one unique thing about trance is it has no great history or milestone dj's like house, (DT, knuckles, DeVit, louie vega, etc.) so it evolves much faster and in different directions. If you listen to say, S&D a few years back vs. now, you can see where its gone, a much harder, actually more housey sound has come out of it. The melodic "epic" trance isnt really in anymore in europe and that has evolved into the commercial scene here.

Oh yea...for the questioneers... tech house is house with a techno influenced beat to it... Case in points... ritchie hawtin, timo maas, almost everything on the bush label (go to satellite and search under bush), 'boots on the run' was a great techy track for you SF people. Deep house is more mellow, you dont hear much deep house at SF, its more 'emotional' and cant think of any real popular tracks off the top of my head. Jump in mac, you friggin house know it all! hehe

my 0.02 of info.. tongue.gif

-Adam

------------------

Tech house is techno with progressive house . . . faster pace . . . more beats.

Deep house is slower pace, more bass . . . more vibrating feeling.

BlueAngel

------------------

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

- Burton Hills

and then..there is "deep techno house" aka Alexi Delano, Jesper Dahlback..Aril Brikha..

Everytime I go to listen on Satellite..they have a damn new classification..its ridiculous..."samba house" "deep trance" etcetc..classification sometimes is a waste of time..because everyone thinks diferently..

Adam...did you ever find out what detroit techno is like I told ya??? You can't be a DJ and not do that..its like a sin..

-J

------------------

Music is the answer...to your problems...:)...smoknjilly@aol.com

I know detroit techno jilly... smile.gif Just not my bag baby.. smile.gif Although "I like it all".. well, except jungle...hehe, chicago house... Brutal bill... "I believe".. oohhhhh

tongue.gif

------------------

sorry frankie...but yes..I have heard JP and PVD spin tech-house songs...its not their main style...but it does happen...

actually..back in 98 JP used to spin some of the best tech-house imports I have ever heard...

------------------

Music is the answer...to your problems...:)...smoknjilly@aol.com

I remember that jilly... i havent been to factory in ages...but it was actually good...not the best mixer, crashed mixes like crazy, but the tunes were good. Now its all pop trance, good for some people, just not me. Ill never forget hearing boots on the run for the first time on that system...whew smile.gif

------------------

frankie, it's true. PVD does spin break beat trance (nu-beat some might call it) with some tech-house. I've heard it a lot these last couple of live sets he's done including the last time he was at Twilo.

I'm not too sure about JP though. I really don't listen to his stuff.

BlueAngel

------------------

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

- Burton Hills angel.gif

Originally posted by blueangel:

frankie, it's true. PVD does spin break beat trance (nu-beat some might call it) with some tech-house. I've heard it a lot these last couple of live sets he's done including the last time he was at Twilo.

I'm not too sure about JP though. I really don't listen to his stuff.

BlueAngel

i think i have every PVD live mix there is & not ONE TechHouse track on them ... even when i've heard him live ... Actually wait I'm sorry ,i'm listening to PVD live @ nikita and he just dropped on some techy sounding track ... but i wouldn't call pure TECH ...

i think all DJs should play versitile ... I think Oakenfold is the most diverse Dj there is ... Who do you know that could start out with vocal eurohouse, then drop some jungle, then blast into some thumping progressive trance, where else you going to here programming like that?

------------------

I love this house,

this house of house

Okay, about the classification of music. It is possible, and it is necessary. Perhaps not for the a casual listener, but as a DJ, there's no avoiding it. There is only one sound that makes for deep house, just like techno.

Not many people dig far enough into it to see what really makes those differences.

House is House. It is defined by a beat pattern in 4/4 time.

boom sis clap sis boom sis clap sis.

Other styles defined by their percussion patter alone: breaks, jungle, hardcore, two step, garage, speed garage, latin...

different subgenres of house, like deep, are defined by the sounds contained in the song, and often times the instruments that make those sounds.

It is possible to make deep techno by overlaying the soft pads assiciated with deep house, over a techno beat. This is the kinda stuff you'll hear Paul Walker start a set with.

There's stuff that's instrument specific, like the Acid sound (a sound originally produced with a 303), and the kicks in a bangin Chicago house track.

Now let's analyse the term "Progressive". By the strictest definition, a progressive track does just that, it progresses. Song that start very minimal and add in instruments every 8 beats or so, build, break, and decay, are considered to be progressive. Taken a step further, songs that simply maintain the 8 beat and change pattern, in my books still fall under the "progressive" banner. A lot of Hard and Tech house is like this, hard trance as well.

The term "Hard" is roughly denotes minimal to some extent. Songs that consist mainly of a beat, and sounds to accent, often no melody, often no bassline. Digweed does in fact play hard trance, regardless of what nolimit might think. Let's also keep in mind the motto of Palladin: Harder doesn't mean faster, harder means harder.

okay, what did I miss? what did I get wrong?

I'm tired of typing and have to do some more work, anyone else care to elaborate?

------------------

keep it cutlary

www.spoonyd.iwarp.com

how do you go from house to jungle? Personally i think oakenfold is way overpaid...just my opinion. He plays to make money, not for the love of the music it seams.

------------------