Clubplanet Nightlife Community

HAS THE NYC PARTY SCENE CHANGED?

Guest WICKED QUEENIE

Guest WICKED QUEENIE

i'M FEELING OLD, AND KINDA DEPRESSED ABOUT THIS, DO YOU THINK THAT THE SCENE HAS MADE A CHANGE FOR THE WORSE OVER THE PAST EIGHT YEARS, OR AM i JUST FEELING LIKE A BITTER OLD WOMAN (i AM 24 YRS. BY THE WAY)?

I FEEL IT HAS CHANGED I STARTED GOING OUT BACK WHEN THE PALLADIUM WAS OPEN AND I USED TO GO THERE WEEKEND AFTER WEEKEND AND NEVER GET TIRED OF GOING THERE. THE THING THAT I THINK HAS CHANGED IS THAT CLUBS THESE DAYS DONT HAVE THE RIGHT SET UP AND LET WAY TO MANY PEOPLE IN.

It's gotten worse.

The club kids have grown up, The drag queens are in rehab or pretending to be married, the Chelsea boys own Roxy, and B&T (yes. I'm one of them) people discovered manhattan and X and killed it.

Sorry guys, that's how I feel.

------------------

Din Da Da

Originally posted by WICKED QUEENIE:

i'M FEELING OLD, AND KINDA DEPRESSED ABOUT THIS, DO YOU THINK THAT THE SCENE HAS MADE A CHANGE FOR THE WORSE OVER THE PAST EIGHT YEARS

YES, DEFINITELY ... I THINK THE DRUGS ARE TO BLAME. DRUGS AFFECT THE PEOPLE, PEOPLE AFFECT THE SCENE ... PEOPLE ARE PARTYING,CLUBBING,RAVING, WHATEVER ... FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS ...

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC & THE PEOPLE COMING TOGETHER CREATING A PLUTONIC VIBE ... TO MOST IT'S ALL ABOUT GETTING FUCKED UP AND MORE FUCKED UP ... IT REALLY IS SAD ...

DO YOUR SELVES A FAVOR NEXT TIME YOU GO OUT, ASK YOUR SELF WHY ARE YOU GOING OUT?

CHEW ON THAT FOR BIT ...

------------------

dancer-10.gif Put some pep in your step DANCER-11.GIF

I definitely think the scene hass changed - for the worse. I happen to think that certain drugs are to blame. Now I'm not downing drugs - I'm no angel and I do drop a bomb sometimes when I go out. But I definitley don't NEED to do it to have a great time, like soo many people do.

So long as there is great music, I'm happy.

It just seems that the club scene is now synonymous with doing drugs... Case in point, when I tell people not in the scene that I go to Exit, Sound Factory, CPI or the like, the first question they ask me is how many hits did I take. That's what the club scene reputation has become.

Shameful!!

------------------

icon9.giflove.gificon7.gif

Originally posted by divalicious:

when I tell people not in the scene that I go to Exit, Sound Factory, CPI or the like, the first question they ask me is how many hits did I take. That's what the club scene reputation has become.

Shameful!!

That's so true,

I never realized that before

It's a DAM shame frown.gif

------------------

dancer-10.gif Put some pep in your step DANCER-11.GIF

I THINK THAT DRUGS CONTRIBUTE TO THE DOWN FALL OF THE NEW YORK CITY CLUB SCENE BUT ALSO ITS THE PEOPLE. MORE AND MORE YOUNG KIDS ARE DOING E AND GETTING IN TO THESE CLUBS WHICH IS MAKING THE SCENE VERY MAIN STREAM. LIKE 15 AND 16 YEAR OLDS. I DONT HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST PEOPLE OF THIS AGE GROUP BUT A MAJORITY OF THEM DONT KNOW HOW TO ACT MATURE WHEN THEY GO OUT.

I agree with all of the above. The scene has definately changed for the worse. The NYC club scene and drugs have become synonomous with one another.

Sure the drugs have always been there but it seems as though it has become the drivng force behind why certain people go out in the first place. I'm gettin a bit tired of seeing people walkin around like zombies.

Hey EJQ,

a judgement call needs to be made regarding dress codes. Without strict selectiveness at the door, the crowd would end up lookin like shit, hence Sound Factory and Exit. When I go out, I go out to "strike a pose", most of these so-called clubbers think tank tops, sneakers and the worst - glowstix are clubbing attire, pelleeeeaaasssee. Are ya goin to the gym or out dancin? Pick one.

The reasons for which the scene isn't the same:

1. A few too many guidos whose venues were places like Metropolis and Abyss, etc. (and any other wacked club) took a pill and liked it, which resulted in him giving it to his friends and than flooded the scene and ruined it.

2. No selectiveness at the door = a very weak crowd

Hey EJQ,

a judgement call needs to be made regarding dress codes. Without strict selectiveness at the door, the crowd would end up lookin like shit, hence Sound Factory and Exit. When I go out, I go out to "strike a pose", most of these so-called clubbers think tank tops, sneakers and the worst - glowstix are clubbing attire, pelleeeeaaasssee. Are ya goin to the gym or out dancin? Pick one.

The reasons for which the scene isn't the same:

1. A few too many guidos whose venues were places like Metropolis and Abyss, etc. (and any other wacked club) took a pill and liked it, which resulted in him giving it to his friends and than flooded the scene and ruined it.

2. No selectiveness at the door = a very weak crowd

THE NEW YORK CITY NIGHT CLUB SCENE SUCKS!!! AT THE PRESENT TIME.

Anybody on this forum who partied back in the day (94,95,96,97) knows what I'm talkin about. I remember when people used to take an initiative to look good when they went out. Now, everybody's got this homogonized look. Music sucks now, its all a bunch of pots and pans - what kinda talent do you need to do that? No trax out now, can even come close to the trax we used to hear back then. I remember when clubs picked their patrons to get in. If they didnt like your look, you werent gettin in...I would say that about 95% of these people today wouldnt even stand a chance to take a look at the inside of Arena, Tunnel, or USA....LOL...

Just my $.02.

It's not you!!!! The suburban Jersey scene has transplanted itself in NYC. All big clubs cater to the upper class suburban drinking crowd. That along with shitty dj's who play shitty muzak have destroyed NYC's once vibrant underground scene....

Originally posted by WICKED QUEENIE:

i'M FEELING OLD, AND KINDA DEPRESSED ABOUT THIS, DO YOU THINK THAT THE SCENE HAS MADE A CHANGE FOR THE WORSE OVER THE PAST EIGHT YEARS, OR AM i JUST FEELING LIKE A BITTER OLD WOMAN (i AM 24 YRS. BY THE WAY)?

------------------

Nestor

"That's House!"

hey executress,

i want to go out and hear good music - i hate clubs that have a dress policy - and try to avoid them if at all possible. it sucks if someone i want to see is trapped behind some pathetic club door policy while people that will actually appreciate the music are stuck outside. if you want to dress up - cool - dress up, if you don't, don't.

coming from london i've found new york pretty lacking in decent techno (especially acid) - anyone get to see chris liberator in queens? too bad i couldn't go.

limelight seems to finally be getting good people to play again. since twilo's not putting on anyone interesting i guess i'll have to leave it the limelight. any where else have good djs?

cheers