Clubplanet Nightlife Community

oh how the times have changed.

sgtfury

things are very strange indeed. we seem to be constantly force fed this idea that the general economy is horrible.even with gas prices so high, people continue to buy large trucks and SUVs. its very odd, but in my profession, i encounter many that are considered "poor and the first thing I see in thier homes is a huge tricked out SUV with 24in rims in the front and a huge tv inside. you would think that the high price of gas most directly effects the poorer people, so they would be the most conscious of a more economical car?...?..and also very interestingly is that no one seems to have a job.

we def have a unique definition of poor.

things are very strange indeed. we seem to be constantly force fed this idea that the general economy is horrible.even with gas prices so high, people continue to buy large trucks and SUVs. its very odd, but in my profession, i encounter many that are considered "poor and the first thing I see in thier homes is a huge tricked out SUV with 24in rims in the front and a huge tv inside. you would think that the high price of gas most directly effects the poorer people, so they would be the most conscious of a more economical car?...?..and also very interestingly is that no one seems to have a job.

we def have a unique definition of poor.

It's because the ones who are the poorest are the ones most desperate to prove to others that they are not poor and suffering. So they turn to highly depreciating material assets to flaunt their non-existent wealth. :D

Poor is a very abused word in american society. Lets think about who is truly "poor" in these two scenarios. These scenarios are real and reflect situations that i know personally.

1. family "A", that consists of mom (pregnant), illegal immigrant dad, handicapped daughter and one year old baby. mom doesnt work and basically sits home all day and collects a social security check due to her handicapped daughter. mom also recieves other government assistance due to that fact that she does not work..lol. mom doesnt care for daughter due to medicaid paying for 24hr nurse. dad is illegal and does certain jobs under the table for which he is paid in cash. in some wierd way, dad somehow gets free healthcare under medicaid even though he is illegal. mom recently convinced doctor to give year old baby diagnosis of "developmental delay" so now she collects another social security check. nobody in the house goes to work and yet recieves free healthcare and seemingly free living assistance. They eat out often, have two SUVs with dvds and flat screens and the latest cellphones. mom is now pregnant again with child that will again be financed by the taxpayer. they consider themselves "poor"

1. family "B" consists of mom and dad. mom and dad went to school and are still repaying student loans. in addition to student loans, they pay for health insurance. even with health insurance, there are copays, deductibles. mom and dad just had a baby and even with insurance, they have a 6k medical bill to pay. mom and dad get up every day and go to work and pay thier taxes. mom and dad have to make many sacrifices in order to pay for insurance, medications, living expenses.

MOM AND DAD JUST TOOK THIER BABY TO THE DOCTOR. THE DOCTOR SEES BOTH PRIVATE INS AND MEDICAID. INTERESTINGLY, THE DOCTOR TOLD THEM THAT HE WAS OUT OF IMMUNIZATONS AND TO POSSIBLY GO TO THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT FOR IMMUNIZATIONS FOR THIER SON. TURNS OUT THAT THE DOCTOR DID HAVE THE VACCINATIONS...IT WAS JUST THAT THEY HAVE A CERTAIN AMOUNT THAT THEY HAVE TO KEEP FOR THE MEDICAID KIDS....SO..........MOM AND DAD'S BABY IS AT PRIVATE DOCTORS OFFICE AND NEEDS VACCINATIONS BUT CANT GET THEM............

mom and dad are considered "middle class"

MAKES YOU RETHINK JUST WHAT "POOR" MEANS.