Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Music Types, please help

csumaylo

Okay, this is gonna be an ignorant question, especially since I've been listening to techno/trance etc... for a while.

Please help me understand the difference between the different types of music. Some I know are obvious, but I figure this could help some others out there also.

Techno

Trance

Hardcore

Happycore

Trip-Hop

House (deep, progressive, etc..)

I really only wonder what hardcore and happycore are, if you could point me to some examples on the web, I'd appreciate it...

thnx

-c

------------------

Know your body. Know your mind. Know your source. Know your roll.

On the topic of:

Hardcore

Happy Hardcore

you can also add:

Trance Core

terrorcore

gabber/gabba/rotterdam

speedcore

All these styles are super super fast, clocking in at 160 - 190 bpm, stuff like speedcore goes up over 200 - ew. (jsyk, house mostly clocks in at 115-130 bpm)

Hardcore has a straight up 4/4 beat, often no backbeat, and is very dark, no vocals.

Happy Hardcore is often a hybrid between Hardcore in the 4/4, and jungle with the syncopated breakbeat (often reserved for a breakbeat breakdown). This music is lyric driven, usually cheesy vocals. It's very common for producers to snag samples and vocals from hit 80's tracks - example Vinylgroover's countless remixes of Time by Cindy Lauper. Checkout www.hullabaloo-raves.com for a entire site/rave company dedicated to hhc.

trancecore is just like what is sounds, trance at 160+ bpm. I love the stuff. It's the only trance I still find unique.

gabber and the rest are just nasty - not very musical, more about speed and volume. But that's just my opinion, there are a LOT of people who really dig this stuff. All these styles are more specifically rave oriented vs. club oriented.

I'll leave the other definitions up to someone more prepared for the inevitable flame war which always follows the definitions.

Also beware that many style names have a different definition in NY than they do in other cities.

------------------

cold spoonin' on this lovely autumn day

spoonyd.iwarp.com

I can help out a little with the original question, that is, the difference between trance, techno, and house.....

Trance - Very wide variety of music, can be broken into progressive, melodic, hardcore, goa, euro. But in general, trance is represented by one or two overlying melodies that collide throughout a song. There is almost always some kind of psychedelic sound effects thrown in a modulated in terms of tone and pitch. Trance also, especially euro trance, involves a lot of vocals. Listen to some Paul Oakenfold sets and usually about 1/3 are vocal trance tracks. Well, I can go on forever about trance but that is the basics....

Examples: Virus - Hypnotise(Talisman & Hudson Remix), Deepsky - Stargazer

Techno - usually characterized by hard hitting bass and usually faster than trance, generally about 140 BPM. Techno song rely on maybe one or two main melodies that are built up from quiet to loud and usually fucked with throughout the song ie. highering of the pitch and stutters for build ups....Techno is straight up energetic music and it usually has many vocal samples but no vocals...

Examples: Beam vs Cyrus - Thunder in Paradise, Cirrus - Stop and Panic

House - characterized by a slower, easier-on-the-ear sounds. House music has a real smooth, constant beat with many little sound effects thrown in....Usually uses vocal samples or sometimes has actual vocals. Most house music has that old school type sound because its origins go further back than trance and techno to the days of early hip-hop where it grew out of....

Examples: Wamdue Project - King of My Castle, Danny Tenaglia - Elements(NYC Mix)

My personal favorite is trance....Any other questions....just post....Hope this helps...Peace..

Mikey

============================================

"Music is Life, take a pill and go beyond that"

The above post is what I mean about differing definitions. Not that he's wrong about anything, but that's not how I would ever describe techno (or would anyone outside of NY). The music people outside of NY call techno (espcially detroit techno), generally gets lumped in with Tribal here (which I can understand, but don't agree with).

It's fun to see how different people see different styles of music.

------------------

cold spoonin' on this lovely autumn day

spoonyd.iwarp.com