Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tony Draper

spd1980

What does everyone think of Draper?

I have personally liked his style ever since I first started going to Exit. I noticed that he has been getting a lot more recognition on this board lately. Do you think he is ever going to become one of the top NYC DJ's? I could almost see him becoming Exit's headline DJ.

OK...here is what I think of Draper:

His style, IMO, is where he would begin the first couple of hours playin party favs/annoying commercial music such as oompa loompa and pitchin...but when the exit virgins and superficial clubbers start fizzling out and start going back home because they stayed up way past their bedtime, he gets really really dark and hard acid tranc-heavy, playing almost every DJ Scott song ever produced.

Some people have compared his style to the dark, Eddie Baez Tunnel afterhours, sets that he blessed crowds with back in the Tunnel days. That genre has a huge following, and people respect him for that. But any amateur DJ can see that he just throws songs on, let them play out, and go on to another song.

A DJ with skills isn't a DJ who just plays the right music, it's a DJ that knows how to mix, that knows how to time his beats and climaxes correctly, that can tease a crowd, that can take them on a journey throughout the night...and on top of that, lace them with some hot shit that they never heard before, and blow their minds.

Draper will never be an NY headliner unless he evolves as a DJ. If you appreciate Sasha and Digweed, listen to their sets at Twilo and you can hear the difference. Same with Jonathan Peters and even Boris. Just knowing which songs to play isn't enough.

------------------

blast.gif MEGA HIGHMZ x4armor.art

AOL: Highmay9

Napster: Jayme

Good points. I can see why he probably won't become a headline DJ.

I defintely like the style of music he plays after he is done with all the commercial stuff.

cwm11.gif I know what you mean about him playing every single Scot Project song

I love Scot Project's music.

Can you recommend some other dark songs draper plays besides the Scot Project stuff.

hmmm... TONY DRAPER is the man.

I dont know what you guys are talking about, but hes getting a lot of recognition as a NY header. think about it... the biggest club in new york city (they pack like 4,000+ heads) and he gets to spin all night now. Ive been listening to him and watching him spin since April, and I can tell how much his style progressed and got a lot better. Have you seen all his music he's made? hes no amateur pEace

Ok as for Tony Draper, I'll give it to him in the sense that he slaaams his tracks. BUT, there are some major points he has to work out. His programming is terribly off, I mean like you guys said, his Scot Project tracks will be bumpin, then all of a sudden Deleriums "Silence" or "Seventeen Again" will come on.

As far as Draper goes, I personally like him, because he doesnt play alot of vocals, and 7/10 times he can get his crowd going. But the TETRIS rmx, has to stop. Playing *EVERY* scott project track and *every* Yomanda/Hi-Gate track, has to stop.

Other than that, I give him mad props for spinning at EXIT Fridays, because I dont care what anyone says, that place is insane the last 5 months or so.

As far as a headline DJ goes, I dont know, I dont think Draper has been getting alot of recognition at all... his name is nowhere near Baez/Peters/Junior etc. And I dont think it ever will be. To be perfectly honest with you, I think he belongs at raves.

But I still give him mad props, and im jealous of where he is spinnin.. so don't think im talkin' shit about the man.

-J- cwm2.gifcwm13.gifcwm9.gifcwm44.gif