Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Black shut down....

V. Barbarino

Guest klit

Hopefully a wakeup call to some peeps. Don't understand why some people can't just have fun sober or with a couple of drinks.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/20838.htm

March 15, 2004 -- Four people were hospitalized for drug overdoses at the hot Hell's Kitchen dance club Black yesterday morning, authorities said.

The incident came within a week of reports that city officials want to shut down Black - formerly known as Club Exit - and another notorious nightclub because they've both been linked to drugs.

Emergency workers were called at 8:35 a.m. to Black at 11th Avenue and West 56th Street in Manhattan, said a Fire Department spokesman.

About two hours later, two men in the club were taken by ambulance to St. Vincent's of Midtown with drug overdoses, and two women also suffering from overdoses were taken to Roosevelt Medical Center, according to the FDNY.

The victims' identities, ages and conditions were not disclosed, nor were the drugs they had been taking. Police shut down the party that had been going on at the club.

"I saw a girl in really bad shape. She was sprawled out like a puddle of water on a stretcher," said clubgoer Paul Bianco, 25, of New Jersey. "I'm surprised this happened at this party. Security was really tight and they thoroughly searched people for drugs."

Thousands of revelers paying up to $60 admission each had crammed into Black's converted warehouse space to celebrate the club's renaming with a party that began at 10 p.m. Saturday night and was scheduled to end yesterday afternoon.

The shindig was hosted by Jonathan Peters, a DJ who also was celebrating his birthday. Peters is well known for his turntable work at the Sound Factory, a Midtown club that was raided and shut down last week.

"Jonathan Peters throws great parties. He spins house music - it's the kind of music people on drugs like to listen to," said a 24-year-old patron from Brooklyn who identified himself as Nick B.

"I'm really pissed off that they raided the party. I spent a lot of money to get in. The last thing I wanted was to get thrown out by the cops."

On Thursday, a state appellate court ruled that police officers who had allegedly made undercover drug purchases at the former Club Exit must be allowed to testify in a way that shielded their identities in open court.

That decision came in connection with an ongoing effort by New York City officials to have the club legally declared a nuisance because of narcotics dealing there, and be closed.

Sound Factory was raided last week by cops and federal agents who arrested the owner and two top security officers on charges of allowing drug peddling in the club.

A lawyer for the club's owner, Richard Grant, said Grant was willing to close Sound Factory as a condition of his bail. The city had tried several times to get Sound Factory closed as a nuisance

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/173755p-151379c.html

Music stops as 4 OD

By SONI SANGHA and GREG GITTRICH

DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Medical workers remove reveler who apparently overdosed while partying at Black NYC, the club formerly named Exit, on 56th St. and 11th Ave.

A birthday bash for a big-name disk jockey ended abruptly early yesterday when four patrons overdosed inside a revamped Hell's Kitchen dance club, witnesses said.

"The party's over. The cops are outside," deejay Jonathan Peters told hundreds of revellers inside Black NYC, the cavernous club formerly known as Exit, witnesses said.

Peters became famous spinning music at the Sound Factory - the notorious club raided last week by cops and federal agents who say the owner encouraged drug dealers to sell their deadly wares to draw large crowds.

Peters cut ties with the Sound Factory well before the raid and was not charged or named in the federal indictment.

Both Exit and the Sound Factory were shut down temporarily in February 2003 after undercover cops said they found "open and flagrant" drug dealing and use at the clubs.

An invitation for last night's party at Black NYC on W. 56th St. described Peters as the club's "resident DJ."

The invite, posted on the Internet, declared: "We've all been anticipating the beginning of this new era in nightlife and it's finally here."

The doors opened around 10p.m. Saturday and the party was going full tilt when four patrons collapsed around 8a.m., witnesses said.

"It was chaos," said Dawn Zolezal, 23, a student at the University of Miami who came to New York on spring break to attend Peters' party.

"Everyone was saying: 'Go Jonathan! Go Jonathan!'" she said. "We were, like, play one more song. And he was, like, 'No really, the party's over.'"

"He said something like, 'Somebody messed it all up for us.'"

One clubgoer who overdosed was taken by ambulance to Weill Cornell Medical Center, according to an FDNY spokesman. Another was treated at St.Vincent's Midtown Hospital, a paramedic said. It was unclear where the other two were treated.

A spokeswoman for Black NYC said the party was a special event and the club had yet to officially open. She declined to comment further.

The overdoses came a week after Richard Grant, 61, the owner of the Sound Factory, was arrested with his security bosses, Ronald Coffiel and Randell Rogiers, during a raid at his club.

Grant, Coffiel and Rogiers were arraigned under a federal statute that makes it a crime to provide a safe haven for drug dealers. All three pleaded not guilty

that blows!!!!!!!! u know i dont care what people do, and what they do......cuz theres just as many legal drugs that can do the same or worse to u as any illiegal....i just dont understand irresponsible people who do things to an extreme!!!!!!!!!!!! and this is what its really all about...irresponsibility!!!!!!!!!!!!! out of respect to humanity i will stop this post here!!!!!!!!!!! cuz i have alot more i could say, but it would not be very sensitive!!!!!!!!!!!!

that blows!!!!!!!! u know i dont care what people do, and what they do......cuz theres just as many legal drugs that can do the same or worse to u as any illiegal....i just dont understand irresponsible people who do things to an extreme!!!!!!!!!!!! and this is what its really all about...irresponsibility!!!!!!!!!!!!! out of respect to humanity i will stop this post here!!!!!!!!!!! cuz i have alot more i could say, but it would not be very sensitive!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you are gonna OD on exclamation points!!!!!!!!!! simmer down now!!!!!

Guest pod

Reminds me of the Samuel L Jackson Beer skit on the Chappelle show:

man at bar: why are you yelling?

SLJ: I'm not yelling, that's the way I talk!!!! Haven't you seen my movies!?!?!!?!?! Deep Blue Sea!!! I got eaten by a motherfucking shark!!!!!!!

Guest endymion

Working on the pics man! We all are trying to recover after conference still, this office work is coming along a little sluggishly. Many apologies. Should be up tonight.

Guest djdimaggio
Working on the pics man!  We all are trying to recover after conference still, this office work is coming along a little sluggishly.  Many apologies.  Should be up tonight.

[glow=red,2,300] :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :P[/glow]