Clubplanet Nightlife Community

So can we say "State" is tanking?

V. Barbarino

I haven't heard one good thing about it, though I haven't been there, my roomate was there last friday, said there were 25 people there... The guys at Mia told me it was complely dead the times they went to it.

Was Saleen right again? Mansion isn't even open yet..

I'm gonna chalk this one up in the "ovaaaaaaa" colum.

Guest endymion

I would be very interested to hear your firsthand impression since I know that you'll be direct about it. I haven't been either.

Guest coach

I think they would probably do alright if they had a bit more money. It is a nice enough venue. Could use a bit more seating. I like the balcony and the back bar area behind the DJ booth. The decor could use a little lightening up. But, mainly I think it is about advertising. ARE they advertising? A few thousand flyers, maybe? Anything else? It just seems like a lot of these older club entrepreneurs think that they can get by on their names. I think the same thing is happening to Nerve (aside from a bad location). Not enough attention and/or money is paid to the marketing side.

Here, I'll give you a "Saleen Review" of State:

It sucks!!!

The lighting sucks.

The music sucked.. not enough diva vox.

The bartenders are horrendous.

The door guys an asshole.. the decor looks ragid..

The speakers to the bottom left need to be tweaked... who put in this soundsystem? The guys at Radioshack?

THe place is OVA..........

LOL :P

Here, I'll give you a "Saleen Review" of State:

It sucks!!!

The lighting sucks.

The music sucked.. not enough diva vox.

The bartenders are horrendous.

The door guys an asshole..  the decor looks ragid..

The speakers to the bottom left need to be tweaked... who put in this soundsystem? The guys at Radioshack?

THe place is OVA..........

LOL  :P

every thread u sound more and more like him...take a break from hanging with Saleen...soon u will be masturbating 2-3 times a day... :P

Guest saintjohn

when i was there for valentine's day (you did read my review, right?), i was trying keep track of how many people came and left. there was a sudden exodus right after the dj dropped "set it off," sometime around 1:00. up until that point, it'd been mostly retro, but the sudden switch to hip hop seemed to irritate many of the patrons. by the time the dj went back to "brick house," there were fewer than 200 people left in the building. it wasn't pretty.

gerry kelly describes the state concept as a "club lounge," but i don't think they've managed to find the right music and/or the right crowd for that sort of approach. hopefully, the promoters can make some adjustments and start building the various nights. i don't pretend to understand the nightclub business, but what i saw saturday night makes me wonder about state's future. of course, a lot may change after wmc . . .

Guest endymion

Saint John, didn't mean to diminish your review, many apologies. I just have been skeptical of the initial impressions from the first week or two because sometimes it takes a while for a club to find its groove.

Guest saintjohn

no apologies needed; i know at least a few people have the cj forums bookmarked, and they might've missed the link on the main page.

i certainly agree that it's difficult to accurately predict a club's future if it hasn't even been open a month yet.

Guest lust4house

Has anyone else been to the club on ANY OTHER night other than the opening night St. John was at?  I too have heard mixed reviews, but didn't they JUST open???  ???

I did hear, however, one of their "exclusive" fashion events they did was PACKED  :o  ???  Weird how you never read reviews of those types of parties on the boards  ;)

Guest saintjohn

vaughan, just to clarify, i was at the press opening on february 5, but my review is of february 14. different nights, different djs, but pretty much the same music format.