Clubplanet Nightlife Community

about State review ..

AndrewChibale

Guest pod

Nick's review pretty much summed it up, that if it is going to attract a CJ crowd, it needs to be much better musically.

Decor wise, I wasn't thrilled, too depressing for me, really...though I did like Gerry's latest fashion work that was on display.

I'm sure the Lawler party during WMC will be great.

Guest saintjohn

since thursday night was the "press opening," it's difficult to predict how the club will really feel on a regular night (i haven't been back yet, sorry). i assume that the music was selected for the benefit of the mainstream press people, but it certainly did not work for me. i was listening to retro in clubs back when it wasn't considered retro, and just because a song is from a certain decade doesn't make it good. i'm curious about the club's future musical direction - it can only improve.

as for pictures, it would've been nice if the lighting designer had programmed a few fairly bright statics (or slow sweeps) for the benefit of the numerous camera crews and photojournalists in attendance. it's tough to capture a real sense of the place when it's dark, and camera-mounted flash just looks bad in big spaces. closeups of the various party people in attendance would've worked, but such shots wouldn't tell you much about the club (despite the dress code of "upscale evening wear," most people looked rather casual, just like at any other venue). personally, i was expecting some outrageous interior design, but it was surprisingly sedate (classy, but conservative).

the best thing i can say, based on my rather limited experience, is that gerry kelly has fashioned an excellent frame for his project. i rather enjoyed the eclectic mix of people (which reminded me of level, in a good way), but only time will tell if that diversity will be the norm.

since thursday night was the "press opening," it's difficult to predict how the club will really feel on a regular night (i haven't been back yet, sorry).  i assume that the music was selected for the benefit of the mainstream press people, but it certainly did not work for me.  i was listening to retro in clubs back when it wasn't considered retro, and just because a song is from a certain decade doesn't make it good.  i'm curious about the club's future musical direction - it can only improve.

as for pictures, it would've been nice if the lighting designer had programmed a few fairly bright statics (or slow sweeps) for the benefit of the numerous camera crews and photojournalists in attendance.  it's tough to capture a real sense of the place when it's dark, and camera-mounted flash just looks bad in big spaces.  closeups of the various party people in attendance would've worked, but such shots wouldn't tell you much about the club (despite the dress code of "upscale evening wear," most people looked rather casual, just like at any other venue).  personally, i was expecting some outrageous interior design, but it was surprisingly sedate (classy, but conservative).

the best thing i can say, based on my rather limited experience, is that gerry kelly has fashioned an excellent frame for his project.  i rather enjoyed the eclectic mix of people (which reminded me of level, in a good way), but only time will tell if that diversity will be the norm.

Very eloquent and insightful response...

the DJ booth looks awesome with the curtains...

I think Spin and Amnesia have the most nostalgic memories for me of DJ booths. The one in amnesia is just sickening, with the entire graphic equalizer there and the mirrors above, not to mention is is just so big...what a great club, too bad the crowd inside was so crappy! (tiesto and pvd amde well up for that though)

Guest web_norah
it sounds like they're trying to capture some of the essence of Bar Room instead of creating a new atmosphere.

Bar Room sucked ....why re-invent the wheel and do something new instead?

Guest bcnjunkie

isnt that the one that's actually right there on the dancefloor ?

yup !, it's kinda in between the dance floor and 1st level up so if you're in the dance floor you can see the dj waist up and from the level above you can see what he's doing in the booth and it's kinda in the center of everything !

Guest coach
Bar Room sucked ....why re-invent the wheel and do something new instead?

I never knew Bar Room, but that's kind of my point, also. Why bother doing it if you're just going to copy what has gone before. Especially if what has gone before isn't around, anymore. Maybe there's a reason for that. I mean, really, what percentage of people who are clubbing today even remember Bar Room? Time to throw off the old, I would think.

Guest pod

You'd be surprised at those of us who remember when it was around! 8)

Bar Room closed due to reasons not related to the business of running the club. If you know the Paciello tale, you know what I mean.

Guest web_norah

a little creativeness doesnt hurt....

nothing wrong with liking Bar Room but musically speaking.....i have no recollection of Bar Room being anything special...yes, it had the IT crowd and you could see good looking waif models and celebrities.....but thats not going to cut it for me these days.....

sometimes LESS is more! my 2 cents

Guest pod

Oh yeah, Bar Room was no bastion of musical creativity. It was "the" place for celebrities and their associated sycophants, whores, and yes-persons. Chris opened it up in response to the fact that Liquid 1.0 was no longer "hip" for his rich friends. Bar Room and Chaos set the precedent around here for snooty doorpeople...btw, they are demolishing the Chaos building as we speak...the funny white tower is staying up (protected landmark), but the building is toast...

Musical creativity and A-list crowds usually don't go hand in hand around here. The A-list is notoriously intolerant of anything aside from the hip tracks of the day, be it hip-hop or house...largely hip-hop now, house has fallen out of favour with the A-list. Surprisingly, the Euro set would rather have that than house...P. Diddy hanging in St. Tropez and all...

I'd rather have that though, I prefer a "real" crowd at the events I go to. I'm not a celeb-chaser, I prefer to document what really makes the club scene go around..people like you and me, the DJs, the promoters, the bartenders, the bouncers even...without them there is no nightlife. A celeb-driven club is just a club that can't hire a real DJ.

Guest bcnjunkie

plenty of people remember Bar Room, I for one had many-a-good nights @ Bar Room. Bar Room's downfall was due to other circumstances, not because the club just faded out of public's eye. 320 couldn't pick up the pieces and Spin kinda had it's fan base for a while. The place has potential for a snooty club but I don't see the point in one. Da music should be foremost !, the whole Bar Room concept applied to State it's kinda of a used concept... my 2 cents

Guest endymion

I have had great nights in Bar Room, Spin, SPI, whatever. It's a nice little venue in a fun location no matter how you build the place out. Looking forward to checking out State.