Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why is Miami Obsessed with House Music

Guest LeVeL

Guest LeVeL

Over my time Clubbing in Miami, I have realized that ever since Shadow Lounge Closed its doors. Trance is no longer a genre preferred in Clubs. Now in days if you go to Space 34(RIP), Opium, Nikki Beach, Life, Crobar, Nerve, and Maze(its exception Saturday) all you hear is the Same genre; which is House. Now the one problem I have is why the same Genre. You see everytime I go to any of these clubs I encounter people telling, "wow I miss Trance". You see Miami Clubbers in their hearts miss Trance, Hard Trance ect. But they instead forced to go to a House Club instead because the Genre is not played in any of these Miami Clubs. Yeah every now and then we have our dose of Dj. Tiesto, PVD, AVB, or George Acosta. But this is not enough remember them Days of "The Mix", well the music that was played there was Trance. This genre was what attracted us to go out and support the Music. Why cant this be changed, House is music is alright but it will never be compared to Trance. The top Deejays in the World are Trance Deejays. So why are we bombarded with House.

Guest ramon

blame oscar and ralph they started playing house in 91? :)

i think its been the flavor of choice since .. in the end it all goes back to house.

Guest lyrik
Over my time Clubbing in Miami, I have realized that ever since Shadow Lounge Closed its doors. Trance is no longer a genre preferred in Clubs. Now in days if you go to Space 34(RIP), Opium, Nikki Beach, Life, Crobar, Nerve, and Maze(its exception Saturday) all you hear is the Same genre; which is House. Now the one problem I have is why the same Genre. You see everytime I go to any of these clubs I encounter people telling, "wow I miss Trance". You see Miami Clubbers in their hearts miss Trance, Hard Trance ect. But they instead forced to go to a House Club instead because the Genre is not played in any of these Miami Clubs. Yeah every now and then we have our dose of Dj. Tiesto, PVD, AVB, or George Acosta. But this is not enough remember them Days of "The Mix", well the music that was played there was Trance. This genre was what attracted us to go out and support the Music. Why cant this be changed, House is music is alright but it will never be compared to Trance. The top Deejays in the World are Trance Deejays. So why are we bombarded with House.

I have to just laugh, that's all you can do with this statement.

Guest pod

Just because they're tops does not make them good. By that logic Britney Spears would be God.

And yeah, Miami is about house in the end, trance was a drug-fueled aberration for the most part. Don't get me wrong, some trance DJs are good, but those are the ones who can combine it with other styles. A 6 hour set of nothing but screaming buildups would be irritating.

And I have yet to encounter anyone whining about the glory days of trance outside of a few malcontents on the boards...and I'm out 3 or 4 days a week.

Guest demo909

::) ::) ;D ::) ::)......you can't be serious.

Guest pod

I think he is unfortunately. I bet if I get a warrant and have his house searched I'll turn up the mother lode of glowsticks. ;D

Guest LeVeL

I cant believe you guys are serious!lol now thats funny. Your telling me a 6 hour set by a House Deejay is better than Trance. hahahahahaha. If you listen to a house Mix, Sober guys not f**ked up. You will see that it suddenly gets repetative and boring. Suddenly each song becomes the same, nothing but DUT, Dut, Dut, Dutdut. Thats Hilarious I'm a clubber not a little kid. So when you mention Glowsticks, Now that funny. Now you guys are saying its good to have each club play the same House, like for example.....Junkie XL- Red pill, Blue pill. Than have some diversity in styles, come on guys be open Minded. People do like other styles. Its just a shame people have to be brainwashed to like house

Guest pod

Umm I go out sober (read: not on any illegal drugs) all the time, and have the chance to sit through 8+ hours of house music...and I have a blast...there's subtle differences in house, just like in trance there's cheese trance, annoying hard trance, glowstick waving moron trance, irritating Kendall trance, and the rarest one, good trance.

Unfortunately, the few good trance DJs never get booked around here since clubs book lousy trance DJs all the time...

I totally agree with levelistic. I too, love trance. There's plenty of bad trance, but there's plenty of good too. I find trance to be very melodical, something you can follow mentally without falling into an endless loop.

I have been going out much less since Club Spin closed, it was the last place where I'd go for a reliable, good fix of trance. A couple of good nights at Maze do not count.

House music is something I enjoy for an hour, maybe two, then the interest drops. I do like deep house as it is more relaxing.

Guest skorpiogenik

house music was there before trance and as you can see it's still here after trance died a few years ago. the fact that the majority of miami clubbers have developed a more educated ear for quality is actually a good thing. there is variety in house music as pod stated....plus there are other styles of electronic music around such as drum and bass, techno and breaks....trance is all about buildups...without buildups there's no trance...there is only so much you can do with the same 4 chords, the same beat and the same buildups...except maybe add some cheesy vocals and you've got 93.1

Guest pod

Trance folk are funny sometimes.

Sorry kids, but you're not gonna have a return to 1999 where you can swing your glowsticks hither and yon, screaming "I'm cuckoo for crack!"

Sorry kids, but you're not gonna have a return to 1999 where you can swing your glowsticks hither and yon, screaming "I'm cuckoo for crack!"

Sadly, in 1999 I was listening to death and industrial metal. Yep, totally true...

Guest vanbuurenfan

hey pod i wish u would stop labeling people, i love trance dude and i also like house music. everytime some guy comes on and says he likes trance he is automaticaly a glowstick waving pill popping crackhead. lets cut the crap already and stop pretending like none of us have never been through that bud. u can grow out of that crap and still love trance music. 8)

the opinions expresed here are those of vanbuurenfan, and in no way reflect the views of cooljunkie, the board, or trancehater pod... ;D j/k buddy!

Guest LeVeL

Ok now that we got the Glowstick waving out the way. Lets talk about the real issue here. Why dont clubs in Miami book more trance acts. Why dont clubs make their nights Trance night. Is this a conspiracy.lol ;D.........Come on I totally like house, but too much house is too much house. Lets sign a petition to make Trance night in Level on fridays. Trance is more Uplifting, more desirable for the ladies to hear. An it attracts a better crowd then Old People trying to capture their Juvenile days.

Guest pod

Umm last time I checked, most girls I knew were into house.

Uplifting, in some instances...but not the brick-wall sounding German sound, Nazi psycho circus trance.

The clubs are going to run with what is most profitable for dance music, and at this time it's house. It was trance awhile ago, but now trance is a very suburban sound, hell, kids in Peoria, Ill dance to Oakenfuck and friends...Miami Beach has to stay edgy, so it's house and gradually electro for now. If anything it's going to go electro...

Guest vanbuurenfan
Ok now that we got the Glowstick waving out the way. Lets talk about the real issue here. Why dont clubs in Miami book more trance acts. Why dont clubs make their nights Trance night. Is this a conspiracy.lol ;D.........Come on I totally like house, but too much house is too much house. Lets sign a petition to make Trance night in Level on fridays. Trance is more Uplifting, more desirable for the ladies to hear. An it attracts a better crowd then Old People trying to capture their Juvenile days.

Petition for trance fridays at level ;D]

1.vanbuurenfan

2.pod

3.saleen

Guest demo909

recipe for a trance song:

2 generic breakdowns

6 basic synth stabs

1 or 2 cords to taste

1 drum loop

put everything into a large bowl and mix well (which by the way most trance dj's can't do) when you are finished you will have a boring 10 minute long track with 2 predictable breakdowns so you can throw your hands in the air and say "damn these are the best pills ever!"

It takes a lot more to make a house track, and I never see a house DJ standing around picking his ass for tem minutes while he waits for a track to finish, only to put on his headphones and do a 20 second (if that) mix out. I can't believe someone like tiesto gets paid all that money to stand around or 80% of his gig and do nothing but wave at the crowd......yeah thats AWESOME!!   Trance definately beats house and house DJ's anytime.........get real man ::)

Guest vanbuurenfan
recipe for a trance song:

2 generic breakdowns

6 basic synth stabs

1 or 2 cords to taste

1 drum loop

put everything into a large bowl and mix well (which by the way most trance dj's can't do) when you are finished you will have a boring 10 minute long track with 2 predictable breakdowns so you can throw your hands in the air and say "damn these are the best pills ever!"

It takes a lot more to make a house track, and I never see a house DJ standing around picking his ass for tem minutes while he waits for a track to finish, only to put on his headphones and do a 20 second (if that) mix out. I can't believe someone like tiesto gets paid all that money to stand around or 80% of his gig and do nothing but wave at the crowd......yeah thats AWESOME!!   Trance definately beats house and house DJ's anytime.........get real man ::)

you sound like a 16 year old boy, "house beats trance trance beats house" who gives a shit! dont hate on the trance dj's cause they make the big bux. there is a reason for that! and if u dont like trance music there is an ingenious button on a radio that says OFF on it that u can push and the trance goes away! isnt that something. ;D

Guest shannon_coolj.

ok. you know what? who friggin' cares what kind of music is popular or what kind people like??

who cares if people in miami are obssessed with house?? let them be.

i just get sick of people bashing different genres. i mean, each genre has its good and bad points. our music is our music, whether its trance, house, breaks, dnb, progressive....

like i've said in other posts--we're all in this together and music is supposed to bring us closer, not farther apart.

and as far as the "best djs in the world" being trance djs--says who? the magazines' "top 100 djs?" do you really go by that as a reference to who's the best? give me a break. i go by my own top 100 djs list and it's sure not who the magazines say are the best.

i totally agree with pod--if you went by that, britney spears would be god.

Guest pod

you sound like a 16 year old boy, "house beats trance trance beats house" who gives a shit! dont hate on the trance dj's cause they make the big bux. there is a reason for that! and if u dont like trance music there is an ingenious button on a radio that says OFF on it that u can push and the trance goes away! isnt that something. ;D

Not for nothing, but Demo909 is an experienced producer and DJ, who knows what he is talking about...not all trance tracks are like that though, but I'll give you a dollar if you go around and analyze all the trance tracks out there, the majority are like that...and yes, the average trance DJ does sit there and scratch his ass waiting for a mix-out point....the majority of house tracks are bit more involved and complicated and don't involve the use of buildup after buildup to get to the point.

Trance is a very suburban bubblegum sound now. When the kids in Little Rock, Arkansas are throwing the latest Acosta CD into their CD players at home, it's a bit of a testament to where it has gone, which is the mainstream, as far as dance music is concerned. Now my real beef isn't over the music itself, it's the tendency for the fans of trance to venerate their DJs to something akin to being a god, and god forbid you question it, otherwise thousands of glowstick-waving maniacs will be camped out on your front lawn in a siege. I'm sorry, but most trance DJs have less skill than I do, and that's pretty sad sinc I'm not a DJ by profession and can't mix a bag of concrete. Most house DJs put a lot of skill and craft into a mix (look, and really look at how Morillo, Oscar G, and Tenaglia mix...), and it becomes more than just two songs flowing into each other.

Now before you all start whining and bitching, I said "most" trance DJs, and "most" house DJs, meaning I will allow that there are good trance DJs, and bad house DJs. ;D