Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ Spin Off Final @ Space34 - Sat Aug 16th

imported_admin

Guest nickjunkie

He he just when you thought it was safe to go into the message boards and try to put down Miami's best DJ... Welcome Oscar!

Guest endymion

Okay, that was funny.

Maybe it's officially time for everybody to stop trying to support one DJ by slamming on every other DJ? It doesn't work anyway and the DJ that you slam might just read your post.

The difference between the best and mediocre is that the best listen, learn and adapt.

I have heard Oscar G play some rather impressive stuff but I never had a "wholesome" night where music kept me going and going -- it would get monotonous after a couple of hours. Last Saturday, on the other hand, the DJs delivered uplifting, melodically diverse and developing sets that kept the club jumping with energy that approached the one you see during sets of PVD, Picotto and the likes, sans the massive crowd.

I am no judge of talent. I am not even a real DJ, I am only learning. But I do know what I like and what people around me like. People that I brought with me on Saturday wanted to leave about an hour into Oscar's set, and so did I. DJ's job is to entertain and from what I saw, the three guys did a better job than Oscar that night.

Oscar is a good DJ and definitely has his style but I am begging for a little bit more variety and excitement. Insert some breaks, make the beat flow and make it develop. Make people wonder and stall in anticipation. Don’t just drop the hammer at 140 bpm!

Guest dnb_chick

UMMM--jux--last time i checked....Space on Saturday nights is called "Housesessions"...key word being "house"..Oscar is a House DJ...and he freeekin OWNS us house heads on Sat nights....dont go to 34 on sats if you arnt a slave to the dark beat....duh........

"not everyone understands house music---its a spiritual thang"

Guest pod

Saturdays are primarily targeted at a house audience at Space 34.

And anyone who says it's boring hasn't heard Oscar at his finest. In terms of sheer energy, Oscar keeps pace with the trance DJs by far...not to mention when he works like 4 inputs at once...that's skill...it's an honor to watch him work it.

The difference between the best and mediocre is that the best listen, learn and adapt.

I have heard Oscar G play some rather impressive stuff but I never had a "wholesome" night where music kept me going and going -- it would get monotonous after a couple of hours. Last Saturday, on the other hand, the DJs delivered uplifting, melodically diverse and developing sets that kept the club jumping with energy that approached the one you see during sets of PVD, Picotto and the likes, sans the massive crowd.

I am no judge of talent. I am not even a real DJ, I am only learning. But I do know what I like and what people around me like. People that I brought with me on Saturday wanted to leave about an hour into Oscar's set, and so did I. DJ's job is to entertain and from what I saw, the three guys did a better job than Oscar that night.

Oscar is a good DJ and definitely has his style but I am begging for a little bit more variety and excitement. Insert some breaks, make the beat flow and make it develop. Make people wonder and stall in anticipation. Don’t just drop the hammer at 140 bpm!

Juxt,

It is obvious from your 4 posts so far that you are a Trance fan....It is typical that Trance fans don't take a liking to me at first...BUT EVENTUALLY I GET THEM!!!!

so beware....before you know it you might be caught by the evil dark side known as HOUSE.....

as for dropping the hammer at 140 bpm....

I have never in my entire DJ career even come close to 140 bpm..not sure what you mean there...That is my buddy Acosta'a territiory there...I can't even think at that speed!

as for last Saturday....

The mainroom at Space is usually open till 10am....Due to the Dj contest the programming of the night was thrown off a bit....Hydra (who I thought was very good) picked up the pace in his set to a bpm and Trancey style that we never visit at that time of night on a Saturday....

..if I would have kept it at that pace the club would have been empty by 6am....I had to reset the pace and establish a new groove for the night....it's called programing (a DJ must!) When you have been playing 10 hour sets every Saturday for 3 years at one of the world's best clubs, you will understand what I mean ;)

BTW....I think this DJ competition is a GREAT idea!!! I commend Nick and the CJ crew for doing something that helps bring (much needed) exposure to up and coming talent here in Miami...

Loved your set on Saturday Oscar!! Hell, I always appreciate your sets!

Aside from your amazing mixing skills, sick tunes, and ability to read a crowd and blowup the place, your natural presence behind the decks is what sets you apart from everyone. Some DJ's have it and some dont. And its not something that can be learned. I just love sitting in the DJ booth watching your every move...so focused, smooth, and energetic behind the decks. I especially like the way you get into it, always pouring your heart and soul into every set, and the way you express your love for the music...you can just see it on your face and in your posture up there.

Oscar is a hell of a guy outside the DJ booth, very calm and cool, humble and respectable, but when he gets behind those decks he turns into someone completely different. He truly expresses himself up there and sometimes it can get scary!!

Thanks Oscar, some of us do respect what you are all about and what you are doing up there. And some people just dont get it bro...

;)

See ya Saturday!

Guest AlanS

The vibe Oscar creates in the early morning hours at Space is increadible, definately the dark and twisted side of house. Its...well, Space!

My props and respect Oscar, you got me a long time ago!

Guest shannon_coolj.

Yeah Oscar, great answer!

I love a person who doesn't let criticism bring them down--and responds to it in such a well thought out way.. props, oscar... ;)

Guest sarahcj
He he just when you thought it was safe to go into the message boards and try to put down Miami's best DJ... Welcome Oscar!

Don't cha love our message boards!!

Guest Adam Singer

oscar g IS a badass house dj :) i cant deny...i just really am not into house as my genre of choice...except maybe progressive haus

Guest dSj
Wow...DjOscarG You've got class!!!

I loved your answer...

And as a Dj/Producer You ROCK as well!  ;):D

I agree... I apologize Oscar & other CJs, wasn't trying to put anyone down. I think Oscar's a great DJ, amazing skills, really controls the crowd. Style isn't quite my cup of tea though, a bit too dark... lacking some of the flowing, mid-level sounds needed to really get in my head. I totally understand & respect that's the style he's shooting for & what the HouseSessions are all about. It was tough last week coming off Hydra's set, would've enjoyed it far more had it came after say... Diaga's set. Anyways, just wanted to clarify my position... I'm very open minded about music & never want to put down anyone's style or preference. Lookin forward to hearing Markus tonight, & yes, Oscar too. -peace

Guest fredda

I agree...  I apologize Oscar & other CJs, wasn't trying to put anyone down.  I think Oscar's a great DJ, amazing skills, really controls the crowd.  Style isn't quite my cup of tea though, a bit too dark... lacking some of the flowing, mid-level sounds needed to really get in my head.  I totally understand & respect that's the style he's shooting for & what the HouseSessions are all about.  It was tough last week coming off Hydra's set, would've enjoyed it far more had it came after say... Diaga's set.  Anyways, just wanted to clarify my position... I'm very open minded about music & never want to put down anyone's style or preference.  Lookin forward to hearing Markus tonight, & yes, Oscar too.  -peace

Now we are talking!!!

dSj...You' ve got calss too... ;):D:)