Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Apple's New Music Service

Matthew000

Today apple debued it's new downloadable music service, bigger, sleeker ipods and itunes4. As of today the new service is only available to the mac faithful, but Windows users will have thier chance by years end.

99 cents per song

128 bit aac encoding, CD quality

Fast reliable downloads

currently 200,000 songs

backing by all 5 major record companies

Fully integrated with other apple products like imovie, iphoto and of course the ipod

Is this the beginning of the end for "brick and mortar" CD stores or will this just fade into obsquirity like other pay download sites?

As one of the Mac faithful i think Apple has hit the nail on the head and this is the just the tip of the iceberg, but I'm biased.

What do u think?

Guest nickjunkie

Hi I'm Nick and I'm an appleholic ;)

It's great to see Apple leading the way again. it only took music companies around 5 years to get tbeir shit together and utilise the internet instead of denying it.

Good work apple!

Guest pod

128 K sucks. Any sensible MP3 is encoded in 256 or better. :)

I'm glad to see someone is taking a lead in trying to work out a sensible solution. My question is, of course, what artists are available? I'm not gonna use this service if the only thing I can get is Britney Spheres, Christina Aguilera (well, if the download came with the rumoured video of her and Anna Kournikova doing what girls do...), Zeta-rock-band-of-the-week, or what have you. I'd honestly like to see content that people like us would be into :)

I'll give Apple congrats and all, but I'm not a Macophile. I use Windows 2K out of expediency, and SuSE 8.x when I feel the need to have a command line :)

Though I found out yesterday that if you hold Command-S when a Mac running OS X boots you get a command line.

Mac Tip:

When starting up hold command-s

you'll see a bunch of scary stuff (scary for those used to a GUI)

then at the Localhost% prompt type

/sbin/mount -uw /

then hit enter

/sbin/SystemStarter

then hit enter

then type

passwd username

where username is the name of the account you want to reset...i.e. if you want to reset account pod type passwd pod.

From there it's pretty cut and dry. :)

And that is Pod's Geek Tip of the Week, brought to you by Party 93.1, The Street, and cooljunkie.

wow, I got way off topic there :)

Their not mp3's. Their encoded as aac files. Newer format created by dolby. Files downloaded from apple's music service will not work in an ordinary mp3 player. Players need AAC compadability also. From what i hear AAC is better tham mp3.

Guest pod

Well, Windows and Linux users are not invited at the moment....so I'll just have to wait and see what that punk Jobs has to offer.

I found this article very intriguing, I am not sure how the DJ will mix, or will they be just slamming the songs into each other. Check it out

FYI from Apple:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sporting a new design, with enough capacity to hold more than 7500 songs, the new iPod rocks into the Apple Store on Friday, May 2, during a revolutionary event you won’t want to miss.

From 6 to 10 p.m., enjoy a live DJ spinning tunes on his iPod.

Receive a free event poster (while supplies last). And get a limited edition T-shirt for $10 — or for free if you buy an iPod. That’s not all: you can also enter to win a JBL sound system worth $1800.

Special Appearances. Musical group Glassjaw will appear at the SoHo store and a surprise music act will perform at The Grove during this event. Come back for details.

Be the first to get your hands on the incredible new iPod and discover for yourself how the world’s greatest portable music player just got even better.

Find an Apple Retail Store near you.

http://www.apple.com/retail/may2/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------