Clubplanet Nightlife Community

End of Fashion Week, Kylie performs at Avalon

sure is...in fact, I think she is a great performer....

but I cant stand the QAFRG crew....I think they contribute to the entire stereotype out there that gays are "fabulous queens" that revel in scenes and fashions----it makes things unfortunate for those people who not only dont identify with that type of behavior---but find it repulsive.

The whole photo shoot they did in the meatpacking district a few weeks ago....storming down the street like vigilantes, with a clear Charlie's Angels motif, and instead of weapons in their hands, they had cosmetics, hair brushes, and blow dryers. give me a brrrreak!

Guest joeygk

yeah - they're pretty damn annoying & way too overexposed - you think people would know better!

Sure they're sterotypes, but I think most people get that ----

yeah - they're pretty damn annoying & way too overexposed - you think people would know better!  

Sure they're sterotypes, but I think most people get that ----

cosmopolitan, enlightened, urban professionals do....for the most part, but the bible belting/breadbasketers dont, for the most part....and they represent a much bigger majority of the population....and lawmakers in this country---

here is a cool little story from Page 6 today:

February 11, 2004 -- STEVEN Cojocaru's expertly made-up face was doused with a drink at the Grammy party for OutKast. The fey fashionista, who minces it up on the "Today" show and "Entertainment Tonight," was hit with a plastic cup dropped from a balcony just as he was on his way to get a poster-size picture taken of himself with a Polaroid camera at the Hollywood bash. Jessica Simpson, Kelly Osbourne, Beck and Sharon Stone saw Cojocaru scream, "Someone just threw a drink on me! Where's the bathroom?" A Polaroid stylist toweled off Cojo's hair and reapplied his makeup before he sat down for the shot.

too bad the cup wasnt filled with HCl.

Guest joeygk
cosmopolitan, enlightened, urban professionals do....for the most part, but the bible belting/breadbasketers dont, for the most part...

I don't think they get much of anything so I wouldn't worry about it.......... ;D

I don't think they get much of anything so I wouldn't worry about it.......... ;D

Joey, the point is that the USA is clearly on the brink of, most likely, the biggest civil rights movement since the 60's.....with the latest massachussets ruling in state court and your homestate's rebuttal, and GB's proclamation of a new federal constitutional amendment....the spark is there----it will be very, very interesting to see what happens over the course of the next few years---

therefore it's important for those constituents to "get it" since they will have a huge say in determining what happens over the course of the next decade or so.

Lest we not forget they are the reason George Bush is the most powerful man in the world today...

shows like queer eye further the vision that gays are a bunch of genetic freaks obsessed with the opposite sex's stereotypical likings...

Guest joeygk

I was just trying to keep it light - the NYC board is so SERIOUS anymore ---- but if you insist --->

the thing you need to remember - is that shows like Queer Eye are if anything furthering the gay civil rights movement by providing mainstream media exposure -- whether or not you think it's projecting a positive stereotype - you cannot deny the fact that the show is being broadcast in areas of the country where there is almost zero exposure of gay lifestyle/culture ---- at this point any representation is better than none ---- the gay stereotype is out there, just like many minorities are unfortunately stereotyped in the media (middle easterns and asian people especially) - just look at any gay show -- Will & Grace (shallow trendy yuppies) - Queer as Folk (drug using circuit boys) --- the stereotypes are there ------

Regardless of my personal feelings for the show (it's awfully cheesy) I think it is a positive thing by having five gay men on a weekly broadcast shown interacting and having a good time w/ straight men and their friends.....it's an overall message of acceptance & friendship. Is it a perfect, fair, objective, representation of gay men ---- absolutey not --- but is it better than nothing --- YES.

*now can we talk about Kylie's new album -- I hear it sucks...haven't heard it yet though.

I was just trying to keep it light - the NYC board is so SERIOUS anymore ---- but if you insist --->

the thing you need to remember - is that shows like Queer Eye are if anything furthering the gay civil rights movement by providing mainstream media exposure -- whether or not you think it's projecting a positive stereotype - you cannot deny the fact that the show is being broadcast in areas of the country where there is almost zero exposure of gay lifestyle/culture ---- at this point any representation is better than none ---- the gay stereotype is out there, just like many minorities are unfortunately stereotyped in the media (middle easterns and asian people especially) - just look at any gay show -- Will & Grace (shallow trendy yuppies) - Queer as Folk (drug using circuit boys) --- the stereotypes are there ------

Regardless of my personal feelings for the show (it's awfully cheesy) I think it is a positive thing by having five gay men on a weekly broadcast shown interacting and having a good time w/ straight men and their friends.....it's an overall message of acceptance & friendship.  Is it a perfect, fair, objective, representation of gay men ---- absolutey not --- but is it better than nothing --- YES.  

*now can we talk about Kylie's new album -- I hear it sucks...haven't heard it yet though.

well....i guess you're right.  It's a good way to open the door, but in the long run i dont find it palatable for the entire heter/homosexual world to be plutonically bridged by make-up, drugs and hairstyles.  

great argument though, you're gonna make a great lawyer!   :D (I'll see you in court one day, I'll have my law degree eventually...but i refuse to give up my youthful years to studying...for now I play with TV and radio)

as for Kylies album, havent heard it either,...im sure it's nothing to write home about.  

Ev & Joey...

Great discussion. That was very entertaining and informative. The forum needs more good threads like that one.

8)

BTW - I like the queer eye dudes...they're funny. I think a lot of people get that and no one in the midwest watches Bravo anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Ev & Joey...

Great discussion.  That was very entertaining and informative.  The forum needs more good threads like that one.  

8)

BTW - I like the queer eye dudes...they're funny.  I think a lot of people get that and no one in the midwest watches Bravo anyway.

OK Timmy you inspired me to start this fire in the Junkie Char section----go check it out, retort, whatever.