Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A different perspective of the Philly scene.

Guest Highmay

Guest Highmay

After reading the two threads regarding the Philly scene here in this forum, it has become my overwhelming duty to step in and post something.

I'm not sure of how many people on this site go to clubs for the music and the DJ, but I certainly do.  Not everyone is into hard trance, and if I were to come from another part of America without knowing anything about  Philly except for what I read here, I would leave dissapointed and unfulfilled with what I experienced.  

So, here's a totally different perspective on Philly:

There is simply more to Philly than the aformentioned DJs.  I just find it to be simply wrong that what the top quality of Philly talent is not represented here at all.  If this website is supposed to represent good music, there's simply no representation of that in this particular forum.  

You wanna talk the best in Philly, drop these names:

The Legends:

Josh Wink

Nigel Richards

Dieselboy

King Britt

The Best Locals:

Ban Camp

Mat Leutwyler

Matt Kling

Imri

David Alvarado

Adam Freemer

Sapphirecut

Jamie Morris

And most importantly, The Tigerhook Corperation!!  

Hito

Chris Udoh

Phillip Charles

Deep C

Rodrigo Ramirez

Mark Pappas

Patrick Parker

Also, Randall Jones and Joshua Ryan lived here for a significant time before moving on.

Now again, all respect due to LeeDemon and what he has going on.  I might not particularly agree with your assessment of TJ the DJ and Tronco, but to each their own I guess.

So anyway, yeah...my two favorite nights in Philly are Soma Mondays and Fluid Wednesdays.  There are random nights at random clubs where big talent comes in.  Max Graham will be @ Tribecca on February 28 and Timo Maas will be @ Emerald City on April 24th.

That is all...

The PhillyJunkie part of this site is brand spanking new...as you may have been able to tell from the post counts. As soon as more members arrive there will be a variety of interests and styles represented. I believe that there are only 2 Philly residents that have actually posted so far. ;D Keep checking back and posting about what you are into. Thats what music is all about...there is something for everyone! ;D ;D ;D

Guest phillyjunkie

Thank you highmay for the great post. I hope you understand that this is a new forum that has just started and I havent even had a chance to get all the time together to really give people a perspective of philly in one shot.

I think your post gets us started. I dont take any disrespect from that at all. We have only been talking about the latest cooljunkie event.

I think the other junkies will really get a taste of philly once they have a chance to read the posts for a couple of months.

In the meantime, I woudl like to know if you would be interested in joining our cooljunkie team here in philly.

I love all the different types of electronic music that philly has to offer. We will need people to get involved from all corners of EDM. Interested?

Also, can you post up some of those fliers from those nights and some weblinks for others to see as well?

Much appreciated!

-dan

phillyjunkie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Highmay

yeah, me too, I was usrprised to see King Britt on the list :D

What sucks is how Britt hardly gets any big crowds. He spins everywhere in Phillly and even has his own residency, but lately his parties end before closing time. That to me is an injustice, but that's Philly for you, I guess...

In the meantime, I woudl like to know if you would be interested in joining our cooljunkie team here in philly.

I love all the different types of electronic music that philly has to offer.  We will need people to get involved from all corners of EDM.  Interested?

Also, can you post up some of those fliers from those nights and some weblinks for others to see as well?

Much appreciated!

-dan

phillyjunkie

Dan, thank you for the kind words. As of now, I'm way too busy with school to commit myself to anything but my studies and my radio show. It's called ELECTROTOPIA and it's a pure webcast on my college campus radio station. It airs from Tuesday nights from 10pm to 1am and it highlights the best in electronic dance music (www.sju.edu/wsjr). The next show this coming Tuesday will be a special: The Ode to James Holden. Every track I'm playing will be a Holden track. I'm going to span his career from beginning to end.

If anything I can post up flyers when I have free time.

But to hold everyone over, here are some upcoming Philly events:

-Koma & Bones Friday 3/19 @ Fluid

-Jimmy Van M & Chris Fortier 3/20 @ Tribecca

-Danny Howells 3/26 @ Emerald City

-Timo Maas 4/24 @ Emerald City

There's definitely some sick talent coming to Philly. Dan, you need to come through to at least one of these parties.

:D

Guest phillyjunkie

actually i would love to make it to some of those parties. I am prob gonna make it out to Emerald City at least. If you wanna meet up, let me know. I could use some broadening of my horizons on some of the other DJs in that event list. Embarrasing, but im not familiar with them.....

thanks and keep up the great posts. I will try to chekc out your show....

phillyjunkie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Meningito

I think there are some good djs that do hip hop, and drum and bass. I like dancehall and bhangra but there is no dancehall or bhangra scene here.

Guest phillyjunkie

Can you give some of us a feel for what exaclt yBhangra is like? and some of the artists?

thanks

dan aka phillyjunkie

I think there are some good djs that do hip hop, and drum and bass. I like dancehall and bhangra but there is no dancehall or bhangra scene here.

Guest Meningito

The only artist I can think of that everyone would know or most people would be familiar with is the Panjabi MC. Last year a remix of one of his songs came out with Jay-Z vocals. People may recognize it for the use of the Knight Rider sample but it also has some traditional Bhangra elements. Bhangra isn't exactly electronic music but Panjabi MC mixes bhangra songs with hip hop/dance beats. There are other people who do the same thing like Bally Sagoo, The Dhol Foundation, Jazzy B and there are countless other people from out of the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/asianlife/

• 1 month later...
Guest KrisKat

Don't forget Tommy Boy & MacGuyver for some great Trance and Mike Alba for his funky style of house.

But the biggest kept secret in Philly has to be Chris Gallagher. He is originally from Philly but he is a legend in Florida where he helped create the music scene down there. Now he has returned to Philly and is set to redefine himself again.

Guest phillyjunkie

Interesting, I actually have a Dohl Foundation CD and it is very good. I always thought that music was interesting and remixable.

Many people prob dont know it, but the Panjabi MC was at Shampoo on a thursday night about 3 weeks ago.

-phillyjunkie

Guest Meningito

But I knew it. It was his album release party. At least that is what the flyer said. There was one party in Philly and then the next night there was another in New York. I like the music but that crowd isn't my crowd.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest djbis

I like the list. I was influenced by Robbie Tronco in recent years, I think he does make part of the electronic music culture in philly and deserves to be on that well populated list that was created. :)

Highway, I wanted to let you know about a group of fellaz that spin with me at www.mixaddicts.com , alot of fun.

Head overthere and chat with JP and/or Pulse, the crew there is open minded and looking for people to do some LIVE spinning and have some fun.

I log on from time to time and screw around, maybe I will catch you there sometime. Thanks for the link to your station.

Bis.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest josef

so... anyone here into the ebm/synthpop kinda stuff? i.e. wednesday night at shampoo. cause philly's got a better scene than even nyc for that kind of stuff, but i dont see it mentioned anywhere here. so just thought i would...

Guest Meningito

I like synthpop but don't know what ebm is. Whatever is popular is popular and whatever isn't, isn't. If you like the music you should be the champion of it and encourage more discussion. Is ebm along the lines of new wave or is it closer to synthpop or am I way off? Who are the DJs who do this kind of music and do they play anywhere besides Shampoo?

Guest josef

the line between synthpop and ebm is difficult to draw.. unlike, say, the difference between industrial and synthpop. i think at one point there was an ebm movement, but since then its just kind of melded into "synthpop". (any other opinions about that welcomed)

probably the most known dj is knobhead who spins at nocturne, along with Kathy Fadigan in the white room and Jon Gill in the velvet room.

there's sin city on mondays@emerald city with knobhead too.

there used to be sin thursdays but thats gone now it seems.. they had some different people there.

http://www.phillygoth.net/ is the resource for all of this stuff, and there's always tons of flyers at digital ferret on south 5th st.

• 3 months later...
Guest pussygalore

Josef hit the nail on that head, but there are actually other club nights around, depending on what you're hankering for.

While I enjoy the more indie side of the electrodiscopunk ("electrocla$h")/modern synthpop movement, I do occasionally attend the local "dark" industrial/ebm/synthpop nights. Just for variety & to try to stay as fresh as possible on new trends.

However, my true cause is 80s new wave and electropop. There's just nothing like it. And trust me, Philly's got a retro-lovin' audience here and I'm happy to oblige them. :)

Guest karatechik

Josef hit the nail on that head, but there are actually other club nights around, depending on what you're hankering for.

While I enjoy the more indie side of the electrodiscopunk ("electrocla$h")/modern synthpop movement, I do occasionally attend the local "dark" industrial/ebm/synthpop nights. Just for variety & to try to stay as fresh as possible on new trends.

However, my true cause is 80s new wave and electropop. There's just nothing like it. And trust me, Philly's got a retro-lovin' audience here and I'm happy to oblige them. :)

I'm really looking forward to hearing you spin!!!!

Guest Jimmy Jamz

After reading the two threads regarding the Philly scene here in this forum, it has become my overwhelming duty to step in and post something.

I'm not sure of how many people on this site go to clubs for the music and the DJ, but I certainly do.  Not everyone is into hard trance, and if I were to come from another part of America without knowing anything about  Philly except for what I read here, I would leave dissapointed and unfulfilled with what I experienced.  

So, here's a totally different perspective on Philly:

There is simply more to Philly than the aformentioned DJs.  I just find it to be simply wrong that what the top quality of Philly talent is not represented here at all.  If this website is supposed to represent good music, there's simply no representation of that in this particular forum.  

You wanna talk the best in Philly, drop these names:

The Legends:

Josh Wink

Nigel Richards

Dieselboy

King Britt

The Best Locals:

Ban Camp

Mat Leutwyler

Matt Kling

Imri

David Alvarado

Adam Freemer

Sapphirecut

Jamie Morris

And most importantly, The Tigerhook Corperation!!  

Hito

Chris Udoh

Phillip Charles

Deep C

Rodrigo Ramirez

Mark Pappas

Patrick Parker

Also, Randall Jones and Joshua Ryan lived here for a significant time before moving on.

Now again, all respect due to LeeDemon and what he has going on.  I might not particularly agree with your assessment of TJ the DJ and Tronco, but to each their own I guess.

So anyway, yeah...my two favorite nights in Philly are Soma Mondays and Fluid Wednesdays.  There are random nights at random clubs where big talent comes in.  Max Graham will be @ Tribecca on February 28 and Timo Maas will be @ Emerald City on April 24th.

That is all...

[/quote

Just about everyone you mentioned is a Deep House DJ. Is that what you like or are they considered to be the only talented ones in your book? There are other forms of House(not that I need to tell you) and there are other talents in Philly. Chris Gallagher, Mike Alba are two. I do agree with your list though! You might want to hear Christian James @ lounge 125 on Friday nights. He's a slammin' tribal house DJ.

Guest DJ MartyR

That's an ok list...kinda the "gold standard" list though, but definately some top talent in there.

Here's some additional options if you really want to immerse yourself into the house scene in Philly...

Chris Gallagher is freaking amazing!

Willyum and anyone from PSC.

Lucas Rivera for the latin house beats.

Christian James is always on fire!

Dozia never fails to impress.

Chris Purtell is really good.

Zero Alpha is hands down the best mixer in the city, w/a sick ass track selection

Michael Reese if you like breaks.

there's some more that come to mind, but I need to get to bed.