Clubplanet Nightlife Community

how do DJs chose which vocal song to remix?

kitty19

i'm getting a bit more into vocals these days (i'm catchin the jonathan peters bug wink.gif ), so i was just wondering.

how do DJs chose which vocal song to remix? now, we see that JP flawlessly mixes basically all of Whitney Houston's songs, but is there a reason why? and how do they chose to remix it?

a technical answer is fine too, just want to know if there is something that DJs look into before they chose a song to remix.

thanks, perhaps tranza would know the answer to this? wink.gif

------------------

*kitty19*

*turn it around baby*

i guess its more of a business and artistic decision...depends on the situation...i would have never heard of rockell hadnt JP remixed it (probably took connections), but then again if bette midler's posse thinks it would be cool to remix her song, then a deal gets worked out...its also about connections (AHEM, eddie baez rich luzzi)and maintaining relationships (whitney and JP)....when youre dealing with talent at such a high level, it becomes more business than anything else.

If you want to know who does the choosing...most likely the artist's production group, not the remixer...if they feel that their artist's vocals go well with a mixer's production, you work something out.

hope this helps.

ONE

------------------

Coming soon...

The signature that will end all signatures...

AOL: Highmay9

Napster: Jayme

From what I heard the record company approaches the remixer(lets say Johnny Vicious). He then would listen to the song to get an idea of what he would do with it and if he could do anything at all with it cuz I doubt you could remix all songs. So if its something they could work with then they would do it. Thats what I heard.

I'm told that certain deejays are approached by record companies like everyday like Timo Maas, Airscape and others. Basically companies approach who they think will create an awesome remix to sell records. Also cost is a big part of it, companies are often limited by the amount of money it costs to get a remix done. Like certain companies might try to get Sander Kleinenberg rather than Paul Oakenfold because sander costs 20K less. It is all about money.

------------------

"No Sound System Is Safe"-Leftfield

Like TRANZA said:

JP has contracts with record labels, therefore if they want a song remixed he HAS to do it, he has no choice. But if there's a song that he wants to remix he can

easily ask them to do it and of course they're gonna say yes bc hes the man and who WOULDN'T want JP remixing their song.....

cwm1.gif