Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I, Robot

Guest endymion

Guest endymion

Is "I, Robot" with Will Smith really an action movie?

Action isn't what that book is about at all? WTF?

Guest demo909

Is "I, Robot" with Will Smith really an action movie?

Action isn't what that book is about at all? WTF?

unfortunatly thats what sells is hollywood.....i read the book in high school and was transfixed about what the future will bring to the human race....Asamov was brillant

Guest endymion

When I first saw that a movie was being made I thought it would do really poorly because it was honestly kind of boring. Interesting and all but real boring movie concept.

I can't remember any shooting in that book at all? A swarm of bloodthirsty Terminator robots? Looks cool and all but as I remember it most of the book was this robot whining about how it wanted to be able to die? Because dying would make it a real person? I totally remember no giant fireball explosions.

Guest JMT

saw the trailer for it before Terminal last night. no need to see the movie now, it pretty much gave the whole damn thing away.

Guest durrtylexx

Looks cool and all but as I remember it most of the book was this robot whining about how it wanted to be able to die? Because dying would make it a real person?

Isn't that Bicentennial Man with Robin Williams?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest coach

I'll still see it. Can't wait for the "Stranger in a Strange Land - Valentine's Revenge!" movie where Smith goes on a shooting spree with Martian technology to avenge wrongs against the Martians.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cybercop106

To be fair, since Asimov's book is a collection of short stories and they use quite a bit of stuff from it, I can see why they acquired the rights tho 'naming' the movie "I, Robot" annoys me.......being the Asimov fan I am.

If you notice in the credits they phrase it as "suggested by" Asimov's book, so technically they were honest, in that they used his Three Laws, positronic brain postulate, robopsychiatrist Dr Calvin and the main premise of the last Asimov story called "Evitable Conflict". This story's premise was the foundation of the movie..... the AI evolutionary thinking that caused the robots to become selectively murderous.

Also interesting are other ideas they culled from Asimov's book of stories, like the rogue robot 'Sonny' hiding among his bretheren (see "Little Lost Robot"), and the 1st Law being modified like in "LLR", "EC" and "Escape".

If you read the book you'll see a few subtle examples of the movie having taken things from it, but they definitely gave it the old John Woo/Jerry Bruckheimer treatment to keep the lowbrows entertained. Seems a robot flick should be more cerebral than visceral, but I guess the folks who don't like the BillyJoeBob Briggs Drive Inn Movie Theatre Critic criteria for a good flick probably aren't spending much on movies these days.............. just my $.02 worth. CC ;)

Guest Cybercop106

Oh yeah.........and I forgot to mention why naming the movie I, Robot ticked me off. Quite simply, the movie was in direct opposition to everything Asimov stood for. The common thread in his stories is:

When robots appear to be doing something 'wrong', they are actually acting in the best interest of humanity. The humans just take a while to figure that out.

The movie just isn't true to his vision. It takes the 'Evitable Conflict' premise and bastardizes it as the logical extension of robotic AI....which, of course, allows for the slam-bang shoot-em-up movie experience one would NOT find in a true interpretation of Asimov's robot books.

It's a good movie, but a poor representation. CC 8)

Guest bcnjunkie

Oh yeah.........and I forgot to mention why naming the movie I, Robot ticked me off. Quite simply, the movie was in direct opposition to everything Asimov stood for. The common thread in his stories is:

When robots appear to be doing something 'wrong', they are actually acting in the best interest of humanity. The humans just take a while to figure that out.

The movie just isn't true to his vision. It takes the 'Evitable Conflict' premise and bastardizes it as the logical extension of robotic AI....which, of course, allows for the slam-bang shoot-em-up movie experience one would NOT find in a true interpretation of Asimov's robot books.

It's a good movie, but a poor representation. CC 8)

thanks !, now I know to wait for it to come out on rental ;D, good explanation not the usual "it sucked" ;D