Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Saaed & Palash Split Up

CrzyC1414779017

Here is the Clubplanet article that was posted tonight:

Sometimes, divorce is the best option. Washington D.C.-based Addictive Records is no more, and the previously planned Saeed & Palash artist album has been nixed. Not that theirs is an ugly divorce, but there are no plans of re-forming as a DJ-production team in the near future.

Saeed Younan and Palash Ahmed – hailing from Iraq and Bangladesh, respectively – were for a time the DJ-production team championed by Danny Tenaglia, Deep Dish, John Digweed, Steve Lawler and Peter Rauhofer. The two have just announced a professional split, so each can concentrate on solo projects.

When so much time is devoted to international touring, studio time is sparse and usually dedicated to remix projects, most recently Palash’s and Saeed’s individual remixes of Jimmy Somerville’s “So Good.†Saeed’s solo projects include remixes of Macy Gray’s “It Ain’t The Money†and “You Know I’ve Got It†(Bamboo Music), in addition to a Southeast Asia tour of Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Shanghai and the Philippines.

Palash just finished his latest solo mix compilation titled Palash:One (Revive Music), for release in September. On that project, Palash says, “[The album’s] gonna include what I play out nowadays. It’s not completely tribal, ‘cos I vary a bit from tribal. I’m into anything with a really good groove. I don’t stick to hard rules. There are some breaks that I really like, that are very interesting and with good vocals.†Palash’s remix of Elkland’s “Apart†will be released in August on Columbia Records, in addition to a remix of Departure’s “She Turns†on Revive.

His recent memorable gigs include a solo show at La Mania on the Black Sea Cost in Romania and another one at Gaudí in Moscow. Reminded of these, Palash muses, “Eastern Europe is huge right now; the dance music scene over there is going-off! I played Gaudí in Moscow and it was insane. It was this big, industrial, missile silo-looking thing with pyrotechnics and dancers and a carpeted V.I.P. section.†As for the American scene’s tussling with anti-electronic music laws, Palash lashes out, “I wish we could do something about [the Rave law.] It’s foolish! You cannot stop people with a law, to try to keep people from doing what they’re gonna do. In Ibiza, or anywhere in Europe for that matter, I look out into the crowd and there’s people of all ages dancing, and everybody’s really happy and into house music.â€

As for live gig set-ups, Palash and Saeed may vary in their choice of records, but good sound quality is crucial to both of them. Saeed offers, “There’s so much you can do with music; it’s so hard to play only one genre. For my solo stuff, I’m leaning towards deep, tech-y stuff.†Palash asserts, “I’m DJ’ing more with CDs now [versus vinyl], and it depends on if I had a chance to do edits before a gig. Even when I get vinyl in, I like to convert them to CD and make edits to the tracks that make them more personal. I still do a lot of stuff to the music on CD to give it that vinyl-feel. I don’t play MP3 files, though, ‘cos the sound quality is not good.†The artists each use two Pioneer CDJ-1000 digital decks, two Technics SL-1200 turntables, and Palash also uses a RED Sound Systems’ C-LOOPS sampler and other effects units.

Of his favorite clubs, Palash counts Pacha in Buenos Aires, Zouk in Singapore and Space in Ibiza as the best, and adds, “In New York, I’m going to play at Crobar. I’m doing a tour with DJ Magazine at all three Crobars [New York, Chicago and Miami.]†Saeed’s got his own favorite clubs, which include The Palace in Indonesia, Womb in Tokyo, and of course, Red in Washington D.C. On Red, Saeed wistfully ruminates, “Red in Washington D.C. is my little baby; Red is my true love. It’s deep house, really funky and more tech-house type stuff and pitched-down stuff I play there. I’ve been a resident there for over 4 1/2 years, now. Coming home to play a residency is like nothing else. In D.C., there aren’t that many underground clubs, but for a real underground experience, Red is great. There are no flyers, just word-of-mouth. The place only holds, like, 150 people, but those people all know what they’re there for.†--Emily Tan

Guest LdySphynx

DAMN, there goes their appearence @ State!

Well maybe only one of them is going to show up, oh well I always like the way Palash Played anyways!!!!

Guest sobe2004

"It's never boring here in Miami's clubland, and CJ will always be first with the latest news from inside the scene. Keep it here..."

CrzyC again with the first report . . . you have been very busy this week . . .

This thread will self destruct in 5 . . . 4 . . . . 3 . . . . 2 . . . . 1 . . .

Guest lyrik

DAMN, there goes their appearence @ State!

Well maybe only one of them is going to show up, oh well I always like the way Palash Played anyways!!!!

Palash is the darker skinned taller guy right? If so...he is the really talented one of the duo...the shorter dude was pulling them down technically behind those decks.

Guest shannon_coolj.

Who cares, both of them suck anyways!!!

I second that...

I forget which...but one of them was great at DJing but sucked at producing and the other was great at producing but sucked at DJing. That's not a good split because they made up for each other's shortcomings

Guest trancelator

I had a friend drag me to NV last year and those two were there. I don't know if that performance was reflective of how they always spin but they were two of the worst dj's I have ever heard. :(

Guest durrtylexx

I had a friend drag me to NV last year and those two were there. I don't know if that performance was reflective of how they always spin but they were two of the worst dj's I have ever heard. :(

Werd :P

Deep Dish wannabe's

crzyC they're from DC :P

Werd :P

Deep Dish wannabe's

crzyC they're from DC :P

Oh, ok. I went looking for a DC forum. LOL!

Guest lyrik

I have been saying these guys were over-rated like 3-4 years ago...and everyone jumped on my case back then..."hater"..."they rock' ...yeah right...interview junkie hit it right on the head...only one can actually spin and the other is only good at somewhat average production work. The dude that can spin needs to ditch the small bald guy and start to play better music....hopefully thats the idea here....because it was like one guy would trainwreck for an hour while the really talented one drank at the bar...and then finally when the guy that could spin got on the decks it was total clash of style and technique...and they would do this tag-team bit trading hours...no cohesiveness to their sets at all.