Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I want this bad ass car!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest endymion

American cars can be masculine and they are part of a fine tradition and guys like Saleen love them, but they fall apart. Everybody knows this. Fat and slovenly union-protected slackass Hot Poket devouring American laborers just can't compete with the military discipline of a Japanese manufacturing plant or the precision of a German machine shop.

I rented a PT Cruiser recently and part of the brand new steering wheel fell off in my hand during the trip. The thing had eight miles on it when I sat down and the roll bar was already rusting. Not a rare sort of story with American cars.

Guest bcnjunkie

American cars can be masculine and they are part of a fine tradition and guys like Saleen love them, but they fall apart. Everybody knows this. Fat and slovenly union-protected slackass Hot Poket devouring American laborers just can't compete with the military discipline of a Japanese manufacturing plant or the precision of a German machine shop.

I rented a PT Cruiser recently and part of the brand new steering wheel fell off in my hand during the trip. The thing had eight miles on it when I sat down and the roll bar was already rusting. Not a rare sort of story with American cars.

why is the market so overrun by imports, the excuse that they're cheaper is no longer valid !

Guest endymion

why is the market so overrun by imports, the excuse that they're cheaper is no longer valid !

Cheaper? Was not part of my reasoning. My Bimmer was not cheaper than a Ford. It is better though.

Guest bcnjunkie

Cheaper? Was not part of my reasoning. My Bimmer was not cheaper than a Ford. It is better though.

I know, that's what I was getting at, better quality. Apples to apples, compact Japanese are more expensive than compact American and they sell just as good !

Guest pod

Depends on the plant. A lot of "American" cars are built with foreign components. Outsourced labor and all. The final assembly is done here in the States.

American can also mean "North American". Your car could be from Canado or even Mexico.

I think the manufacturers should be honest about the origin of their vehicles. I'm not saying that it will likely exonerate the American plants, but it would not surprise me to hear that a lot of faulty components in US cars are "Hecho en Mexico" or "Fabrique au Canada".

The reason I say this is because my parents have driven American cars exclusively, and have had each vehicle for five years or more. My mom had a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with 400,000 miles on it. It finally gave out after a transmission problem. The components were all original parts too, aside from filters and fluids and brake pads...

Therein lies the catch. You get a car, you have to take care of it. A lot of people blame shoddy construction, but basic preventative maintenance will avoid a lot of problems in the future. Read the manual, and stick to the schedule in it. You'd be surprised at how long a car will last.

I'll acknowledge that American cars have had a higher incidence of bad construction in the past, but there are solid models out there that I would gladly purchase. Not to say I wouldn't consider a foreign vehicle, but I'm not going to discount US vehicles at all.

And yeah, I'd really rather give my money to American companies and American workers...hell, I'm a big supporter of local businesses, I wish I could buy a car designed and built in Miami by my friends! But if a foreign job is what suits me best, I'll get it.

Motorcycles on the other hand....Japanese have everyone beat in the sport market. American bikes own in the cruiser/chopper market. European bikes just plain suck all around. They are overpriced and only for trendwhores. I'll put a 'Busa or an R1 up against a 999 any day of the week.

Guest bcnjunkie

Well Pod you're right on a lot of points ! however my personal exprience was bad and I do give my car maintenance !

Guest guyman1966

Its hard for me to post this, so please be kind...

I owned a EuroTrash car (Volvo). I just sold it yesterday... but until then, I would come on here and EuroBash the EuroTrash... but everyday I had to climb in, start up and be seen driving a EuroTrash car. It was horrible. I'm now drive a good 'ole American car.

This fucken thing was solid as a rock in performance, but stupid things like oil leaks (that cost THOUSANDS to fix) drove me nutz.

This was my first (and last) EuroTrash car. We also have an Expedition (Mrs. Guyman's) w +140,000 miles on it... it had almost double the miles as my EuroTrash car but had much fewer problems and what did have to be fixed cost a fraction of what the same part would have cost on the EuroTrashMobile. Needless to say we are keeping the Expedition... its been the best care we have ever owned.

Bye, Bye Volvo!

DING DING DING WE HAVE TODAYS WINNER, FOR THE JACKASS AWARD.

NISSAN COVERED UP ISSUES WITH THIER CARS SINCE THE 80'S, AND MISTATED WARRANTY ISSUES ETC. THEY ARE GETTING SUED, AND THEIR GOVERMENT IS COMMING DOWN ON THEM, AND THEY MAY GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

AND THE PT CRUISER, IS NOT AN AMERICAN CAR. OWNED BY THE GERMANS, AND TO SAY IT'S BUILD HERE IS BS, ALL TOYOTA TRUCKS ARE BUILT HERE, SAME WITH A LOT OF BEEMER AND MOST ACCORDS ASWELL. YOU ARGUMENT FALLS APART WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE FACTS OF WHERE THE CARS ARE BUILT AND OWNED.

Guest pod

That is true. A lot of Japanese and increasingly German cars are built here in the States.

And certain Chryslers are pretty much a German product anyway.

Guest bcnjunkie

NISSAN COVERED UP ISSUES WITH THIER CARS SINCE THE 80'S, AND MISTATED WARRANTY ISSUES ETC. THEY ARE GETTING SUED, AND THEIR GOVERMENT IS COMMING DOWN ON THEM, AND THEY MAY GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

AND THE PT CRUISER, IS NOT AN AMERICAN CAR. OWNED BY THE GERMANS, AND TO SAY IT'S BUILD HERE IS BS, ALL TOYOTA TRUCKS ARE BUILT HERE, SAME WITH A LOT OF BEEMER AND MOST ACCORDS ASWELL. YOU ARGUMENT FALLS APART WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE FACTS OF WHERE THE CARS ARE BUILT AND OWNED.

two winners for the jackass award ... you and guyman of course !

Guest bcnjunkie

wow ! you are the spin master !

Guest endymion

AND THE PT CRUISER, IS NOT AN AMERICAN CAR.

Is that Saleenbabble or is that true? That thing was a piece of garbage. Fun to drive but crap, it was already falling apart.

LOL...i was thinking of getting one for Xmas, maybe i should ask ur brother what he thought about the "Black Beauty"...was it the 8" or the "Lumber Jack" 10" model? LOL

Well my truck had an 8 cylinder.. so I think 8 inches should do.. just make sure its nice n' thick for the most pleasure ;)

wow ! you are the spin master !

you are right, I had the company name wrong, here is the news story.

Former president at Mitsubishi Motors arrested in defect cover-up scandal

By Yuri Kageyama / Associated Press

Comment on this story

Send this story to a friend

Get Home Delivery

TOKYO -- Katsuhiko Kawasoe, the former president of scandal-plagued Mitsubishi Motors Corp., was arrested Thursday on charges related to a cover-up of auto defects suspected in a fatal accident, the Japanese automaker said.

Mitsubishi Motors President Yoichiro Okazaki apologized for the death in a statement and said he was taking the news of the arrest seriously.

Police confirmed there had been an arrest in the Mitsubishi Motors cover-up on charges of professional negligence resulting in death.

Mitsubishi Motors has been plagued by a series of recalls since four years ago when it first admitted it had systematically hidden auto defects and announced a massive recall.

Kawasoe resigned in 2000 to take responsibility for the scandal, although he was not personally implicated and denied any knowledge of the cover-up system that had been going on for decades at his company.

Although the automaker has repeatedly promised to come clean, the spate of recalls has not stopped.

After years of denial, Mitsubishi Motors recently acknowledged wheel and clutch defects suspected in two fatal accidents involving its truck partner, Mitsubishi Fuso Truck & Bus Corp. In one, a pedestrian was crushed by a wheel that rolled off a truck. In another, a truck driver crashed.

Former executives and current officials have been charged by Japanese prosecutors in the first accident. Thursday�s arrest is over the clutch defect, police said.

In April, DaimlerChrysler, which owns 37 percent of Mitsubishi Motors, dealt the Japanese company a serious blow by refusing to provide fresh financing. Mitsubishi Motors announced a revival plan last month, with injections of money from the Mitsubishi group and other companies.

Mitsubishi has said there may be more recalls, and executives -- shown almost by the day on televised news and newspapers bowing their heads deeply -- expect sales in coming months to fare worse than the nearly 60 percent plunge reported in May on-year in Japan.

Kawasoe took over the automaker after a 1997 scandal involving payoffs to racketeers and promised to fix his company, including monitoring product quality.

AND THE PT CRUISER, IS NOT AN AMERICAN CAR.

Is that Saleenbabble or is that true? That thing was a piece of garbage. Fun to drive but crap, it was already falling apart.

German owned, Mexican built

Production of the Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible begins in early 2004 at DaimlerChrysler's Toluca (Mexico) Assembly Plant

The Toluca, Mexico, plant, which manufacturers the PT, was finally able to meet demand just about the same time Motor Trend named it the 2001 Car of the Year--automatically qualifying it for our One-Year Test fleet.

next!