Clubplanet Nightlife Community

we're not that far behind

Guest bcnjunkie

Guest lyrik

But what makes a style or taste "ahead"?

I can understand ahead in terms of tracks coming out, but what makes a style "ahead"?

Kind of like beating dead horse...some things just lose their swagger over time mainly because of production value. The music then becomes disposable...meaning its good for a few months and then loses its apeal. There is no effort to create timeless music with tracks like this Eric Prydz - call on me...stupid disco or a big room Britney Spears remix etc. They are just different representations of the same model of easily accessible and marketable music to the masses. I cannot buy into the fact that we don't have the ability to place a quality value on music. There are ways to view electronic music from an artistic standpoint, technical standpoint etc and this all leads up to the justification of what is or isn't quality or "ahead". Now I know the question that always gets posed here is "who sez one genre and style is not quality or ahead compared to another". In that case I guess quality is really in the eye of the beholder. Some people may think a geo metro is quality or a Ford Pinto is a classic while others will say no those people are crazy true quality is a Mercedes/BMW etc and a true classic is a Grand National or 65 Chevy Nova... its all in how its built and what was built to stand the test of time....so there is the answer only TIME can tell what is or was ahead and what is or was quality. Its the fact that you have to wait for it to pass that makes the assumption of it that more difficult in the present.

Guest ramon

I'd like to start hearing some Ewan Pearson or Eric Prydz shit get played. Good shit. Hey Ekitel, you should check them out if you haven't already.

been there done that .. next.

i'd like to hear granite and phunk productions get played. :)

those guys are on the rise.

Guest lyrik

i just like good music.

Thanks for keeping it simple and getting to the point Ryan ;D

How about this for short and simple beotch --> FA-Q!

Guest AlanS

i just like good music.

Thanks for keeping it simple and getting to the point Ryan ;D

How about this for short and simple beotch --> FA-Q!

Don't start wit me BITCH mixed-smiley-017.gif

Guest ramon
so now who's playing Franz Ferdinand here? nobody, because the scene is too far behind

I am! (but in my car... because we're different from the other kids)

;D

been playing the album since wmc .. great album. :)

so now who's playing Franz Ferdinand here? nobody, because the scene is too far behind

I am! (but in my car... because we're different from the other kids)

;D

been playing the album since wmc .. great album. :)

love that one song they have a video for. but i keep forgetting to grab it when i'm at da store. :-\

Guest ramon

when I say "ahead" I mean in terms of taste and style, not about some specific sub-genres, I mean as in further along in one of the many directions in which dance music has been heading, I'm not talking about a serious intellectual process of technical musical evolution either, I just mean that people get bored of some styles after a while and want to move on to hear something fresher, this process seems to be kind of slow going around here

When you say "in terms of taste and style", you're talki8ng about your personal tastes. The problem with that is that they're your opinions and probably differ from those of others. There are always a few "underground" music heads that will never be satisfied with what's being played...no matter who plays it.

well said .. some of us will never be happy .. but you can try to make us happier ;)

Guest eKiTeL

when I say "ahead" I mean in terms of taste and style, not about some specific sub-genres, I mean as in further along in one of the many directions in which dance music has been heading, I'm not talking about a serious intellectual process of technical musical evolution either, I just mean that people get bored of some styles after a while and want to move on to hear something fresher, this process seems to be kind of slow going around here

When you say "in terms of taste and style", you're talki8ng about your personal tastes. The problem with that is that they're your opinions and probably differ from those of others. There are always a few "underground" music heads that will never be satisfied with what's being played...no matter who plays it.

no I'm not just talking about my personal tastes, if my taste coincides with that of others then it is a shared taste, and if more and more people begin to share that same taste over time, and the people who were originally into it move on to something else later after it becomes mainstream then we actually were "ahead".... now I'm not saying that makes us any better than anybody else, I think that too often people want to slap the elitist label on to others just because their taste happens to progress faster than theirs, I'm sorry but we just can't help it, what would you have us do, force ourselves to like something we don't like any more just to fit in with the masses?

I will always be satisfied by good music that satisfies my personal taste, absolutly regardless of who plays it

anyway why don't you just listen to my mix in the link below and tell me if you think it only represents my idiosyncratic taste that isn't shared by others...

Guest eKiTeL

I said I could be wrong, and I'll admit it, when it comes to certain styles of music that are represented here, Miami is not at all behind any other place in the world, they were playing "forget the world" here for a year before it got released on vinyl

now when it comes to other styles that are not so well represented here, and whether or not they may be any better or more advanced than the ones that are is just a matter of personal opinion(s)

thank you, I'll shut up now......