Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Roland style

Guest bcnjunkie

Guest bcnjunkie

He has a very unique style that I'm glad we can appreciate in our home turf. He drops tons of European tracks (German, British, Spaniard) along with American house, except his style of mixing is undoubtedly American. It's a unique sound and we should be happy to have someone like him in our back yard and so accesible. This kind of eclectic mix of energy house is rare indeed. You need to have an open mind and a more fine tuned musical sense to carry it off....

He has a very unique style that I'm glad we can appreciate in our home turf. He drops tons of European tracks (German, British, Spaniard) along with American house, except his style of mixing is undoubtedly American. It's a unique sound and we should be happy to have someone like him in our back yard and so accesible. This kind of eclectic mix of energy house is rare indeed. You need to have an open mind and a more fine tuned musical sense to carry it off....

Even thought they had DJ's from all over the world He was by far the best DJ to play at the radio 1 party WMC at

N beach.

Guest antonio

WTF????????? American Mixing v.s. European Mixing???? I thought it was all called mixing: plain and simple

Anyways, Roland is definitely one of my favorite deejays all around and I'm glad we had him for our Cooljunkie San Juan launch event.......... he absolutely destroyed it that night.

keep on Rolin'.............

Guest bcnjunkie

enlighten me... what exactly is "american mixing"?

This is from personal observation and mainly in the flow.

most American DJ's tend to fluctuate (ups and downs, build ups what not).

most European DJ's Ive heard tend to start easy and build up energy progressively with occasional ups and downs or stick to one steady flow (except Carl Cox ;) ). The good one's will start you with deep and by the end you'll end up jumping to tech house and you never noticed the change !

I guess it's in the programming !

Guest bcnjunkie

i would think mixing is more based on the dj, not geography.

well Geography is important some times (and yes I know most styles of music are heard everywhere). But there is association of musical genres. In the US alone:

west coast: Deep and Soulful House

Detroit: Techno

New York: Straight up house and Garage

or abroad, the Netherlands are a hot bed of Trance (althought I know there's a lot of house production too)

So tastes do differ geographically, and in Europe, from my personal experience, I found that's the style that DJ's prefer and people ask for. It doesn't mean it's the only way or the only style.

plus ask any DJ, they spin according to the crowd, What I heard here for WMC from Carl Cox was something entirely different then what I heard in Sonar in Barcelona or when I heard him in Space, Ibiza. Techno essentialy, spun differently in different cities

Guest lyrik

i would think mixing is more based on the dj, not geography.

I don't know Jorge may have point... a lot of DJs in Miami have the same mixing technique...where as DJs where I am from tend to work a mixer much differently. Certain styles lend themselves to more tricks and others it just wouldn't sound right...like the San Fran sound of Migs and Jay-J. Ultimately it does come down to the DJ...but certain cities are known for a certain sound and that certain sound does encorporate various mixing techniques.

Guest bcnjunkie

WTF????????? American Mixing v.s. European Mixing???? I thought it was all called mixing: plain and simple

Anyways, Roland is definitely one of my favorite deejays all around and I'm glad we had him for our Cooljunkie San Juan launch event.......... he absolutely destroyed it that night.

keep on Rolin'.............

I should more specific, not the beat pairing but in the programing

I've been telling people on the site for the longest time. The man knows what he is doing. Reading the crowd and knowing what tracks to drop is one of Roland's strongpoints and he executes it perfectly. He doesn't just play what he likes, he plays what he feels is appropriate at a certain given time. when the crowd is getting tired he plays something more downtempo and then builds up the speed progressively. To those that don't dance it doesn't matter, but I love getting down, so to me, it's paramount.....And to top it off he's a nice guy.....he'll talk to you as if it's nothing.

Guest bcnjunkie

I've been telling people on the site for the longest time. The man knows what he is doing. Reading the crowd and knowing what tracks to drop is one of Roland's strongpoints and he executes it perfectly. He doesn't just play what he likes, he plays what he feels is appropriate at a certain given time. when the crowd is getting tired he plays something more downtempo and then builds up the speed progressively. To those that don't dance it doesn't matter, but I love getting down, so to me, it's paramount.....And to top it off he's a nice guy.....he'll talk to you as if it's nothing.

oh definitely, besides a good dj Roland is a true stand-up guy

Guest LdySphynx

I'm sorry but there is no doubt that he might me a good DJ, but I have tried time & time again to get into his style and nothing!!!!

Take this past Sunday on the Patio we got there at 7am and it was OK but as the morning progressed TOTAL BUZZ KILL!!!!

Way to Disco...thank god Cue got there and brought the beat back up and we were able to get into the swing of things again and start dancing. But before that you wouldlook around the patio and yeah there may have been a few people dancing but there was not a after hours feeling in the patio it was more of a loungy feeling and I don't know about everyone else but that is not the feeling I want at 9am.

Guest LdySphynx

You must have been on a different patio.

Listen I know that with half of the people here on CJ I am never going to have reason...and you know what at that moment I wish I had been in a different patio like the one that I was in a few years ago in Ibiza and believe me at 9am that is not the music you will hear playing and you can be sure that no one is just sitting around.

There is no doubt that his style is different and some people love that about him.

But he just does not do it for me!!!!

As soon as Cue got on the Decks the mood just shifted to a whole other level.

So maybe I just like it a little bit rougher, but i'm sure im not the only one!!!!

Guest pod

Well, if you like it a bit rougher, that's your own business. Just don't get into details, we like to keep it work-safe ;D

But seriously, I'm not disputing your opinion, I'm just wondering how you formed it when I was on the same exact patio at the same exact time, and I was having a blast and didn't feel loungey at all.

Guest durrtylexx

there is a difference between NYC house DJ's and a European House DJ..NYC dj's bulid it and then hit you harder harder and more harder..while European DJ's build it up slowly and take you on missions, up and down slower faster..

Guest LdySphynx

Well, if you like it a bit rougher, that's your own business. Just don't get into details, we like to keep it work-safe ;D

But seriously, I'm not disputing your opinion, I'm just wondering how you formed it when I was on the same exact patio at the same exact time, and I was having a blast and didn't feel loungey at all.

Oh well if you say so...!!!! ::)

Guest pod

Then again it could be cause I'm a raging drunk and had some fun girls for company, at 9 AM. I don't concern myself with musical content overly. ;D

Guest LdySphynx

Then again it could be cause I'm a raging drunk and had some fun girls for company, at 9 AM. I don't concern myself with musical content overly. ;D

I Rest My Case!!!! ;D

Guest durrtylexx

I like ROland his good, but he's not great...I think the man has skills and is getting better..JUst my opinion, I like the fact that he mixes it up and plays alot of choons that are considered underground..I'm still an Ivano fan...

Guest LeVeL

I like ROland his good, but he's not great...I think the man has skills and is getting better..JUst my opinion, I like the fact that he mixes it up and plays alot of choons that are considered underground..I'm still an Ivano fan...

Roland is good but Ivano is something else....... 8)