Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"Panama Red" Ricky to Return?

Guest JMT

Guest JMT

i think id rather have the $8 million back.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Report: Williams considering return to Dolphins

Updated: Thursday August 26, 2004 1:20AM

Ricky Williams career started in odd fashion when his eight-year contract was negotiated by rapper Master P's agency.

MIAMI (Ticker) -- According to a report out of South Florida, Ricky Williams has made overtures to Miami Dolphins head coach Dave Wannstedt about returning to the team.

The Sun-Sentinel reported Wednesday night that Williams, who stunned the football community with the announcement of his retirement in late July, has contacted his former coach.

The 27-year-old Williams has filed his retirement papers with the league but reportedly is considering a comeback if the team meets certain conditions -- including the renegotiation of his current contract.

The newspaper cites several NFL sources in its report.

Williams told the Miami Herald he contacted the Dolphins this week at the request of his agent but has no plans to rejoin the team anytime soon. Williams didn't rule out a return but made it clear that given his contract and the state of the coaching staff, "It's not in my best interests to play football right now," he told the Herald for Thursday editions.

Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, didn't return calls seeking comment.

Wannstedt declined to comment. "I'm only commenting about the players on our team," he said.

Williams likely would have to miss the 2004 season, unless he appealed -- and was successful in overturning -- a penalty for three positive tests for marijuana. The filing of his retirement papers served as a fourth failed test -- an infraction that carries a mandatory year suspension.

Last week, the Dolphins notified Williams that he needed to report to play or face the recoupment of $8.6 million in paid salary. The Dolphins, which included recoupment provisions in a restructured contract Williams agreed to in 2002, would have to repay $5.3 million in salary from the Dolphins and $3.3 million in signing bonus money he received from New Orleans in 1999.

Williams is in Australia and said he plans to travel to India soon for a "couple of months." He said he contacted the Dolphins after they sent him a letter last week seeking repayment of $8.6 million by Monday.

"I didn't call them to see if I could come back. I was just causing a conversation to happen," Williams said. "They sent me the letter and [my agent] told me it's in my best interests to call them."

Asked if he was prepared to pay the money back or return to the team by Monday, Williams said, "That's really up to the Dolphins about the money. ... This whole thing gets crazier by the day."

Williams, who is just two seasons removed from winning the NFL rushing title, quit the game abruptly in pursuit of happiness off the field.

"I just don't want to be in this business anymore," Williams said at the time. "I was never strong enough to not play football, but I'm strong enough now. I've considered everything about this. Everyone has thrown every possible scenario at me about why I shouldn't do this, but they're in denial. I'm happy with my decision."

Known for his interesting and complex nature off the field and for his dreadlocks on it, Williams has rushed for 6,354 yards in five seasons since being picked fifth overall by the New Orleans Saints in 1999. The Saints traded eight picks to the Washington Redskins for the right to select the former Heisman Trophy winner.

In 1999, Williams' professional career also started in odd fashion when his eight-year contract was negotiated by rapper Master P's agency. The deal contained large incentives but low base salaries, including just $350,000 as a rookie.

he's broke!!!!!!!!!!!!

no way does he have 8.6 million in the bank. His comments about paying them back proves it.

The dolphins hold the cards in this case.. Rickey can't be making demands when he has no position to do so. The fish have moved on so has their fans, but Rickey will be a poor guy come the dolphins sueing his ass.

Guest trancelator

The Raiders should start getting that #34 ready. Williams is proving that he has the maturity and financial skills of a third grader. The Fins should nab the Edge and build the offense with the picks they get for Williams.