Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Need info on S-Beach for research paper...

Guest clemsonfan69

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of cracks me up to see somebody come in and ask about "nightlife" in South Beach, and you guys immediately assume that they mean dance music.

Saleen and Dan's responses that totally gloss over hip hop and imply that there are too many dark-skinned people and languages other than English and music that deviates too far from 130 BPM... Hilarious. A little sad but still very funny.

sad or reality???

keep living in your immigrant minority town.. I'll be up here with whitey.. Miami is a trash town, filled with trashy people, all the while broward is slowly becomming the mecca of travel and a place to live in south florida... We have more clubs, more bars, more places to flat out party. (you can even drink on the streets all the while not being accosted by juan and pedro and their buddy palo who need a dollar so they can buy crack)

Miami has two types of people:

1. immigrant trash (51% according to forbes, second highest poverty rate)

2. people who assume broward sucks and feels they are elite yet deep down they long for yester years of clubbing and sobe in general..

I'll be up here, manning the wall with my m16 to keep the immigrants out of broward. Hopefully our property taxes go threw the fing roof so miami will stay put...

Guest pod

Fifth highest. We were first.

Frankly I don't see the appeal of drinking on the street. You just have to dump it before going into another club anyway.

I know other things can be nightlife, but this guy was asking about the "obvious" definition.

Besides, the term paper would be boring as hell writing too much about restaurants and lounges. He wants drama, controversy, death threats, etc...the stuff that made the beach famous. ;D

Guest jbit

I'll be up here with whitey. Miami is a trash town, filled with trashy people, all the while broward is slowly becomming the mecca of travel and a place to live in south florida

Unfortunatly my caucasion comrade, the invisible line of demarcation will continue to move north as long as they keep letting that whole island come over.

Guest web_norah

Kind of cracks me up to see somebody come in and ask about "nightlife" in South Beach, and you guys immediately assume that they mean dance music.

Saleen and Dan's responses that totally gloss over hip hop and imply that there are too many dark-skinned people and languages other than English and music that deviates too far from 130 BPM... Hilarious. A little sad but still very funny.

well what else became more notorious in South Beach other than dance music in the early 90's? it wasnt hip hop....latin music had its own scene but from what i remember places like Liquid, Warsaw, Lua, Amnesia and even the short lived Pacha, always had dance music and nothing else....

Guest pod

Norah hit the nail on the head. The nascent days of the Beach scene were "open-format" parties and house/trance parties.

Hip-Hop didn't take a firm hold until the early part of this decade.

The impact is worth mentioning of course. I didn't touch on it since I'm not heavily involved or familiar with it. I know a few DJs and promoters, and I mentioned them.

Guest web_norah

thats what lured me into visiting Miami back in mid 90's....this type of music i had only heard in mostly gay clubs in San Francisco area (where i used to live).....and then i came to Miami and actually saw what was happening and was dully impressed :o :o

Guest LeVeL

thats what lured me into visiting Miami back in mid 90's....this type of music i had only heard in mostly gay clubs in San Francisco area (where i used to live).....and then i came to Miami and actually saw what was happening and was dully impressed :o :o

You used to live in San Francisco too wow what a cowinsedence...but your totally right Dance Music is what made South beach what it is now. Every club in the beach played Electronica back in the 90's the only club in the beach at the time that played Hip Hop was Cameo's.

Guest web_norah

and contradicting what Saleen says, i always feel there is a trashier element in Lauderdale, the sort of college bar feel that i notice in the Grove, with a few exceptions....

as far as mecca of travel in Lauderdale, sure, if you're over 65 and own a cigarrette boat and have a young girlfriend/ mistress....that's all i see when i go to Hollywood and Lauderdale bars.

Guest endymion

You guys look more and more every day like the guy in the black Mettallica T-shirt who thinks that "all of those techno songs sound the same".

The days when dance music ruled the scene were fun. Dance music is still alive but now it's a niche. The scene as a whole moves on without it and FYI people are partying their asses off on South Beach. The Source awards were this weekend and I have never seen so much money on the pavement in my life. Happy smiling partying nightlife people from all over the world who would bust out laughing if you told them that South Beach is all about dance music.

You guys are going to hear more and more Latin and African influences even in the dance niche whether you like it or not, time marches on. Just learn to enjoy it.

Guest pod

Oh, I won't deny that for sure. People posted that the Source Awards weekend was going to be bad. Other than a traffic jam on the causeway, I didn't see anything bad. Like you I saw people having a good time and spending money. Saleen sees a downfall, I see consumers ripe for exploitation.

What I was getting at that the roots of the scene around here are in dance music, and that hip-hop is only a recent phenomenon around these parts.

Oh and I was under the impression that techno all sounds the same? ;D

Oh, I won't deny that for sure. People posted that the Source Awards weekend was going to be bad. Other than a traffic jam on the causeway, I didn't see anything bad. Like you I saw people having a good time and spending money. Saleen sees a downfall, I see consumers ripe for exploitation.

What I was getting at that the roots of the scene around here are in dance music, and that hip-hop is only a recent phenomenon around these parts.

Oh and I was under the impression that techno all sounds the same? ;D

short run gain

long term disaster..

Guest web_norah

- - same thing with the MTV Awards, i think thats a HUGE step ahead favoring Miami and its economy............same with the development of the Biscayne Blvd condos (instead of the rundown apartments).

Guest pod

Well South Americans need to buy stuff too. Frankly I don't care whom I sell my goods and services too as long as they pay up at the end.

Guest web_norah

dont bring your NY bs on here (i heard this somewhere else)....Fortune 500 companies to South Fl ::)....Miami is a tourist town, entertainment and such ....

Guest pod

And there are Fortune 500 companies in Miami, with HQ or big regional HQs here.

Look over by the airport. Canon, Diageo, HP, Fujifilm, Norwegian Cruise Lines, and many others.

Guest guyman1966

Miami also likes to call its self the hub for Latin American business...

The only problem w/ doing business with companies in Latin America is that "if" they pay their bills, they pay them on their time table - not 30 or 60 or even 90 days.

Thus, bad for American business.

And Miami's geography in the USA does not make it any type of HUB either.

Thus - must stick to tourists because all the citrus crops are gone in Dade and Broward.

Now would be a great time to clean up SoBe.

and POD - You are right - the beach was not much different last weekend even w/ the Source Awards.

Guest pod

Unfortunately yes, the US companies in Miami are dealing with the (don't hit me for this) 'miami business ethic' which seems to be as you say, not paying on time if at all.

It isn't limited to the race, either, i think there's something in the air which makes a lot of people in this area economic deadbeats. Either that or they are on the hustle to try and get stuff cheap or for free.

Guest web_norah
NJ's #1 industry is tourism too... but we have tons of fortune 500 companies in the state

as well as a very large Hispanic population, dumpsters, etc...

but people dont flock to NJ in the winter. i dont see NJ ahead of CA or FL in tourism

Guest guyman1966
NJ's #1 industry is tourism too... but we have tons of fortune 500 companies in the state

as well as a very large Hispanic population, dumpsters, etc...

This is true. Hey Saleen, arent there more Puerto Ricans in Jersey than in Puerto Rico?

Guest endymion

mtv and condos are not going to help a city where 51% of the people dont speak english...

Learn to speak English yourself and we might respect your opinion.

Guest pod

Frankly I think Miami maintains it's ethnic and linguistic diversity to court money from all over the world. Dollars are dollars, no matter who spends them. If someone gave me $1,000 for a shoot, I wouldn't care what language they spoke.

Yeah it pisses me off that some people refuse to learn English, but I don't let it get to me too much, since it really doesn't happen that often.

I would say 99.9% of the successful people in town speak English quite well, with a majority of that percentage handling other languages too.