Clubplanet Nightlife Community

repetative themes in dance music...

Guest Adam Singer

Guest Adam Singer

yeah i like em to, fuck if enough of the tracks i buy have them...

but lately ive been writing alot of abstract melodies/rhythms in my songs that are based on chord progressions with some underlying repeating themes...

stuff that kinda just goes off on a long tangent based around one key but lots of traveling with the melodies...

alot of people have been telling me 'yeah this is awesome albumn stuff'...but ive been playing a couple out in clubs with really good response...labels tell me 'i like your sounds but there needs to be more of a theme to the melodies...

is electronic music just not a genre that can have lots of tangents like jazz music or like jam band music (think sound tribe sector 9)...

ill go out on a limb and say that the repetative/addictive/get under your skin chords that repeate make the song more recognizable and its something that you could hear and you would still be humming the chorus in your head...but i just think chord progression/tangents on melodies are so cool, especially because you don't know where the melody is going to go next...

maybe this is more 'akin to a live act than a dj track?

catchy-ness is cool but alot of the stuff i hear from james holden/petter and the like have such incredibly abstract rhythm/synths it just draws you in so deep...yeah that stuff probably wouldn't go over well at clubs like space and crobar where the crowds seem to love the repetitive themes that they leave the club with that groove in their head...im just really enjoying the free form aspect of using chord progression within my tracks...

perhaps if i were to create a catchy main melody and throw in the underlying free form aspects it might go over better?

what are your takes on abstract melodies versus repetition in melodies...is it just not what the crowds want to hear?

yeah i know southbeach is a very house driven city that loves their anthems...maybe im just going too far into an eclectic little world?

Guest pod

I'm sick and tired of hearing gospel voices ranting about clublife. I know it is 3 o clock in the morning and that I'm supposed to be having a good time.

Guest Adam Singer

I'm sick and tired of hearing gospel voices ranting about clublife. I know it is 3 o clock in the morning and that I'm supposed to be having a good time.

hah...thats actually pretty funny

Guest web_norah

you mean like the Gregorian chants that are played over trance music, generally?

Guest pod

That too. That and in trance I'm tired of hyper-filtered girly vocals and frilly synth riffs.

That being said, vocoders rule. I want to have a vocoder built into my phone.

Guest Lotto

That too. That and in trance I'm tired of hyper-filtered girly vocals and frilly synth riffs.

That being said, vocoders rule. I want to have a vocoder built into my phone.

lol me too

Guest swirlundergrounder

You have to stick with your sound and structure. Electronic music doesn't revolve around South Beach Themes and anthems...

My impression of what you just wrote is I think may be going on with your productions (Same thing happens to me) is that your musical experinece as a DJ is being expressed in the music that you are producing. Us DJ's like repetition in our tracks because they are DJ friendly and more mixable than something that go's off on tangents....

I recently (Well about 2 years ago) did a remix for a friend who is a true a musician ( Does the vocals and keys for 'Cause and Effect' who had 2 platnum albums in the early 90's). The remix I did was very club and DJ friendly and when I would play it for people or out iin clubs it would work great during a set and I got a hell of a response. Dave Aude did a radio edit of the same track which went off on a bunch of tagents and Cause and Effect released it and it was charted on the Billboard charts last year in the UK....But it was very radio friendly and the structure of the song in my opinion was not very DJ friendly

But that's my opinion. I like long, repetative and tracky shit so that I can layer my records together during a set. So my productions that I've done have been long and tracky (Avg legnth of 9-10 mins) Songs they play on the radio are only and average of 6-7 minutes long.....

Cause and Effect now has possesion of the track and still hasn't released it. So I'm thinking of buying a mechanical license from Cause and Effect so that I can release the track on my own because I believe it works.

What I think you may need to do Adam is shop your tracks to labels who have a history of releasing long, tracky and repetaitve choons.... ;)

Guest ramon

i dont need to hear the genre of the record being played ..

DEEEEEEEEP HOUSE MUSIC

TRIBAL BANG BANG BANG

you don't hear techno records doing shit like

MICRROOOOOOOOHOUSE or MINIMAL TECHNO

lol .. sorry but its true wish i could find the post with the original idea for this reply.

Guest web_norah

techno can be a huge ear ache or it can be very pleasing...but for the most part, house is the genre of *happy* and upbeat rhymes.

Guest swirlundergrounder

techno can be a huge ear ache or it can be very pleasing...but for the most part, house is the genre of *happy* and upbeat rhymes.

Yeah..Techno has to played in the right atmosphere so even sound good. You can't play it in small places. You have to play it somewhere, where it makes sense...

Like Carl Cox playing it on 3 decks to 40k people in a huge field and you're trippin' on shrooms!!!! lol