Clubplanet Nightlife Community

the word "rave" means...

Guest HangTheDJ

Guest HangTheDJ

in response to everyone who is terrified of the word "rave"

first of all, take a look at this link. it shows how a number of dictionaries define the word "rave." notice how there are many that do not mention drug use. unfortunately there are many that do. i think you will find the white house links at the bottom particularly appalling.

http://www.onelook.com/?w=rave&ls=a

www.m-w.com 's definition of rave is this:

3 : a large overnight dance party featuring techno music and usually involving the taking of mind-altering drugs

this definition is false to begin with, as it doesn't mention any other types of music played at "rave" parties, even though this dictionary does acknowledge "house" and "trip hop" as musical styles.

notice how in this dictionary, when defining words like "indian" and and "n__ger" and "f__got" how there is a disclaimer stating that these words are either derived from false beliefs, or they are simply derogatory.

of course the issue of racism is much more appalling than other types of prejudice, but this is still defining a culture by crimes of CERTAIN people.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HangTheDJ

hang the DJ?

it's called "irony"

it's the name of a film about club culture.

it's also the main lyric to 'panic' by the smiths.

Guest HangTheDJ

Instead of preaching to people who have no interest in raves, you should be out doing what you said you would.

i am out doing what i said i would. i do feel the need to address all the fools who have a problem with this word, though. and these definitions are part of WHY this culture is under attack. i bet that you can't tell me how these definitions aren't prejudice. the word "ghetto" isn't defined by crime, but i would be willing to bet that lots of it takes place in any ghetto, regardless of who lives in it.

Guest HangTheDJ

Dude, we already listened to your speech 2 weeks ago....let sleeping dogs lye

i'm not forcing you to read shit. don't look at this thread if you don't wanna see it.

Guest HangTheDJ

In regards to the word, it is too tainted now, just deal with it and call your little straight-edge fest something else.

if i believe in something, i don't give up and i don't quit. i just change my methods.

Guest jbit

Dude, we already listened to your speech 2 weeks ago....let sleeping dogs lye

i'm not forcing you to read shit. don't look at this thread if you don't wanna see it.

Just curious...and Im being serious here, how old are you and what is you status in life (ie student, laborer, working professional)?

Guest HangTheDJ

i'm 24, i'm a recording arts student currently, i have a degree in media arts already. i am an aspiring musician, and event promoter. as for the immediate future, i am starting some type of publication, probably a little magazine of some sort, and i will probably get a job in a recording studio or post-production facility.

Guest jbit

Thats cool, I applaud you on your accolades. But I already knew what you were going to say before you even said it, your still a student and have yet to leave that "I can do anything" attitude behind you. Im not saying that all students are like that, but I was once like you.

Eventually you'll realize that you cant change the world, all you can do is roll with it (pardon the pun).

You've yet to hit the real world and realize this. Not trying to preach but I do have a few years on you so I can say this.

Guest HangTheDJ

i'm not partial towards the rave scene or anything, but i sure as hell have nothing against it. just like that guy euphoriaproject said, i don't see why it needs to be separate. as far as the "i can do anything" attitude, i don't know about ANYTHING, but starting a magazine is certainly not brain surgery. neither is being an artist or producer, or starting a club event.

Guest HangTheDJ

i don't know quite what you mean by directing my efforts elsewhere. electronic music in general, is where my efforts are directed.

Guest jbit

i'm not partial towards the rave scene or anything

Than whats your fucking point by starting this thread "the word "rave" means" ?????

Do you think your educating us in some way? Son, I was going to raves when you were 11.

Dont hate the player, hate the game!

Guest rollyp66

Than whats your fucking point by starting this thread "the word "rave" means" ?????

Do you think your educating us in some way? Son, I was going to raves when you were 11.

Just chill people.... If he has a vision let him try... wish him well and thats it. No need to get all bent out of shape

Guest jbit

Just chill people.... If he has a vision let him try... wish him well and thats it. No need to get all bent out of shape

Im bored at work so Im venting ;D

Not to mention this topic has been beat to death by this guy already

Guest web_norah

i think the word rave is what started the rave act and all that backlash against electronic music and clubs

so...with that said, i do have a hang up with this so called RAVE noun. and while i appreciate your effort, i think you're battling a dead cause.

my 2 cents humbly yours ....xxx

Guest JMT

i think the word rave is what started the rave act and all that backlash against electronic music and clubs

actually, the backlash is against the drugs.

Guest jbit

so...with that said, i do have a hang up with this so called RAVE noun. and while i appreciate your effort, i think you're battling a dead cause.

my 2 cents humbly yours ....xxx

well put, nuff said