Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Fight at Vibe awards; one person stabbed

V. Barbarino

Police spokesman: 'It was somewhat chaotic in there'

Tuesday, November 16, 2004 Posted: 7:58 AM EST (1258 GMT)

SANTA MONICA, California (AP) -- A fight broke out near the stage at the Vibe awards ceremony as rapper Snoop Dogg and producer Quincy Jones were preparing to honor Dr. Dre., and one person was stabbed, authorities and witnesses said.

Dozens of people sitting near the stage Monday inside a hangar at the Santa Monica Municipal Airport began shoving each other as the show wound down about 7:30 p.m., a photographer who covered the event for The Associated Press said.

News video showed chairs being thrown, punches flying, people chasing one another and some being restrained.

It was unclear if the stabbing preceded or followed the fight. The victim, a 26-year-old man, was taken to a hospital and was listed in stable condition.

No arrests were made.

Witness Frank Williams told KCAL-TV that Dr. Dre was involved in the brawl.

"I saw Dr. Dre fighting somebody," Williams said. "I don't know if he was fighting back. But there was a guy taken out basically bloodied."

Andrea Ferguson, employed by a public relations firm that worked with Vibe for the awards ceremony, called the incident a "disruption" but declined to provide details. She added the show was allowed to continue but it was halted for about five minutes.

Dr. Dre, who was scheduled to receive a Vibe Legend Award for his lifetime contributions to hip-hop, had not come on stage yet when the fight erupted. Jones and Snoop Dogg stood on stage without saying anything.

"My understanding is that it was somewhat chaotic in there," police Lt. Frank Fabrega said in a press conference following the fight.

About 1,000 people attended the event; some scurried for the exits when melee began.

"It's really important that we don't take a negative incident like this and do away with the awards," Suge Knight told reporters.

The show was taped Monday and was expected to be broadcast Tuesday. R&B singer Usher led the awards with five nominations, followed by Alicia Keys, who has four nominations.

Vibe magazine focuses on urban culture and entertainment. The awards are voted on by music journalists and "regional tastemakers."

Guest jbit

Of course they'll all bitch and complain that there unfairly stereotyped. Why is it that you cant even get a bunch of these people together to give each other awards without someone getting stabbed or shot.

Fuck hip hop

Fuck affirmitive action

Fuck welfare

These may seem like sweeping generalizations, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, well then....its a duck!

Have a nice day :)

Guest r3nz0
These may seem like sweeping generalizations, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, well then....its a duck!

Yeah, I was telling my friend that about you the other day: "Hey, look at him--he walks and acts like a fag, so he's gotta be one." :)

Guest antonio

This cracks me up. They called a stabbing a "disruption".... lolllllll

then what is a shooting? a nuisance???

rappers crack me up, they are simply that dumb....

LOL

Guest Seb

Yeah, I was telling my friend that about you the other day: "Hey, look at him--he walks and acts like a fag, so he's gotta be one." :)

LOL

Guest Seb

So what they had a disruption, stabbing, whatever... you weren't there, you weren't hurt so who cares.

btw, picked up Eminems new cd - Encore... i have mixed feelings.. its too much shady and not enough marshall imo.

I have a feeling his career is beginning its decline. Don't like "just lose it" at all. :P

I have a feeling his career is beginning its decline. Don't like "just lose it" at all. :P

He's just not writing about shit like he did on Marshall Mathers LP or Eminem Show.. Toy Soliders, Yellow Brick Road, and Mocking Bird are dooooope.. track #2 I like and I like encore #20.. Lost it is eh, okay.

The skit he does - Eminem calls Paul.. LMFAO.. his conversation to paul is done by using michael jackson song titles. LOL LOL LOLLLLLLLLLLL

Guest jbit

I call it like I see it, sorry if I bruised your hip hop alter ego, dick.

Guest durrtylexx

So what they had a disruption, stabbing, whatever... you weren't there, you weren't hurt so who cares.

btw, picked up Eminems new cd - Encore... i have mixed feelings.. its too much shady and not enough marshall imo.

I'm not feeling it either..

Guest jbit
I call it like I see it, sorry if I bruised your hip hop alter ego, dick.

Settle down; I was just playing with ya. ;D

Point taken, its a natural hetero-sexual reaction to being called a fag by someone you dont know. Your still a dick ;D

Guest digitalx

The real issue is that hip hop clubs don't close from stabbings or shootings. They call these happenings 'Disruptions' and these clubs get away with hell.

Of course if someone overdoses on self inflicted drugs at a electronic music venue, the place will get raided and potentialy clossed down, like limelight or twilo on NY.

Why the discrepency?

I beleive that there are hidden groups of conservatives influencing the music industry in the US to shut down electronic clubs because they draw mostly wealthy white americans. . . but of course, let all the brothers kill each other in hip hop clubs.

What Bullshit!

Guest web_norah

you know, you can continue to knock rappers down but they sure as hell climbed to the mainstage of music industry, their albums actually sell and they are (for the most part), all doing not so bad.

Jay Z owns a b-ball team

P Diddy diversified his empire

Dre owns a label

Russell Simmons

Nelly

Ludacris

Usher is on top his game now

that doesnt sound too dumb to me, business wise, they're selling their thug lifestyle and there are enough fools out there buying it.

Guest jbit

and there are enough fools out there buying it.

You hit the nail on the head, 95% of the US population are little white sheep that would listen to someone play accordian if Carson Dailey said it was cool. People need there culture spoon fed to them. As far as Im concerned, keep it that way. I'll stick to the underground!

Guest JMT

there have been countless shootings lately in palm beach county that were results of "earlier altercations" at hip hop clubs. some dude who wasnt even the person they were looking for got capped a few months back. to see this as some freak incident is preposterous.

Of course they'll all bitch and complain that there unfairly stereotyped. Why is it that you cant even get a bunch of these people together to give each other awards without someone getting stabbed or shot.

Fuck hip hop

Fuck affirmitive action

Fuck welfare

Have a nice day :)

yea but i bet ducks have alot more common sense than some of these ppl when crossing the street...actually thinking bout it ur right it comes str8 down to it...they both cross @ "1MPH" and look at you like ur some kinda fool! had to vent...but this is a very true statement!

Guest Skytraveler

And this is news worthy?? Didn't anyone know that there would be trouble geez!!

And yo: Who gives a f**k about the Vibe awards Crap Rap Music and pop r&b

F**K the Vibe awards

peace ;D

Now, don't get me wrong, I've been an Underground Hip-hop fan for as long as I can remember. But incidents like these are the reason why I listen to hip-hop in my car and I never go to these gatherings or events. Because these idiots, better yet porch monkeys that they call hip hoppers, simply do not know how to conduct themselves in public. You put them together and these hypersensitive jackasses get mad at some other guy making fun of their sneakers and that's it, here come the uppercuts, knives and guns. When I heard about this, I was beyond frustrated. It angers me that in 2004 these animals still can't behave. I think next Vibe awards should be held in a state prison, where it belongs.LOL.