Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Scientists Explain Religious Belief is in the Genes

Guest slamminshaun

Guest slamminshaun

::) ::) ::) ::)

And genes created religion

November 15, 2004

London: Religious belief is determined by a person's genetic make-up rather than by any divine intervention, according to a study.

After comparing more than 2000 DNA samples, the American geneticist who in the early 1990s claimed to have discovered the "gay gene" has concluded that a person's capacity to believe in God is linked to brain chemicals.

His findings have been criticised by clerics, who challenge the existence of a "god gene" and say the research undermines a fundamental tenet of faith - that spiritual enlightenment is achieved through divine transformation rather than the brain's electrical impulses.

Dr Dean Hamer, director of the Gene Structure and Regulation Unit at the National Cancer Institute in America, asked volunteers 226 questions in order to determine how spiritually connected they felt to the universe. The higher their score the greater a person's ability to believe in a greater spiritual force and, Dr Hamer found, the more likely they were to share the gene, VMAT2.

Studies on twins showed that those with this gene, a vesicular monoamine transporter that regulates the flow of mood-altering chemicals in the brain, were more likely to develop a spiritual belief.

Growing up in a religious environment was said to have little effect on belief. Dr Hamer, who in 1993 claimed to have identified a DNA sequence linked to male homosexuality, said the existence of the "god gene" explained why some people had more aptitude for spirituality than others.

The Reverend Dr John Polkinghorne, a fellow of the Royal Society and a Canon Theologian at Liverpool Cathedral, said: "You can't cut faith down to the lowest common denominator of genetic survival. It shows the poverty of reductionist thinking."

Guest JMT

The day I belived in faith and god was the same day as my grandmas funeral, so their research is a pile of shit!!!!! Our experiences and the way we are brought up, dictate our religous beliefs.

i agree

Guest slamminshaun

Once again, it proves that science works off as many theories as religion as a way to explain the unexplainable. Thus, the science vs. religion debate can continue.

Guest cutchemist

That's just stupid. Just as stupid as the "gay gene."

there is a gene for alcoholism, downsyndrome, baldness, lactose intolerance,

...why is it stupid ???

Guest JMT

being religious is something behavioral, its taught.

im not sure if there is a gay gene, but i would think to rule it out means that a person must choose to be gay or straight, and its not something they were born to be.

Guest cutchemist

from what i understad the article is about the capacity to believe..it doesn't have to be a "religion"...the definition of religion is nething u believe in ;D

Guest slamminshaun

from what i understad the article is about the capacity to believe..it doesn't have to be a "religion"...the definition of religion is nething u believe in ;D

Thus, isn't alot of science a religion, with scientists being the followers of said religion? I mean, the "big bang" theory is pure faith as most other theories in science are. What makes religion any different then scientific theories?