Clubplanet Nightlife Community

jury pool from hell

Guest trancepriest

Guest trancepriest

MEMPHIS, Tennessee (AP) -- Defense attorney Leslie Ballin called it the "jury pool from hell."

The group of prospective jurors was summoned to listen to a case of Tennessee trailer park violence.

Right after jury selection began last week, one man got up and left, announcing, "I'm on morphine and I'm higher than a kite."

When the prosecutor asked if anyone had been convicted of a crime, a prospective juror said that he had been arrested and taken to a mental hospital after he almost shot his nephew. He said he was provoked because his nephew just would not come out from under the bed.

Another would-be juror said he had had alcohol problems and was arrested for soliciting sex from an undercover officer. "I should have known something was up," he said. "She had all her teeth."

Another prospect volunteered he probably should not be on the jury: "In my neighborhood, everyone knows that if you get Mr. Ballin (as your lawyer), you're probably guilty." He was not chosen.

The case involved a woman accused of hitting her brother's girlfriend in the face with a brick. Ballin's client was found not guilty.

Guest JMT

ive never been asked either, but its prob due to the fact i was registered to vote in a place i no longer lived. yeah supposedly its random but i think they like to call the same people back since they know they qualified once before and wont eliminate themselves.

Guest saintjohn
has anyone else here ever NOT been selected for jury duty?

I've been called so many times that I've lost count. I've only been selected as a juror once, though. The defense attorneys always have me dismissed, usually after asking me about what I do for a living, or if I have any close friends who are cops, or if I've ever been the victim of a violent crime.

Ironically, the only time I've ever actually made it to a trial, I served as jury foreman, and we found the defendant not guilty. She was definitely guilty of something, but the state failed to prove that she was guilty as charged. Sigh.