Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dumb Quote of the Day: NBA Age Limit is Racist

Guest slamminshaun

Guest slamminshaun

This is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. An age limit for players entering the National Basketball Association is racist.

I don't know about you Junkies, but I'm beginning to think that the word "racist" is losing its meaning. It no longer has anything to do with race. It's now becoming just a word minorities conveniently use to label something they don't agree with.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3533684

Guest JMT

yeah, i got a chuckle when i saw this too. O'Neal has virtually no point in his reasoning. what a first class idiot.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Yeha I didn't get it either. Him saying that Commsiioner David Stern wasn't racist or the people who came up with the proposal we not racist but the rule is racist...WTF???

Guest barstar diana

This is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. An age limit for players entering the National Basketball Association is racist.

I don't know about you Junkies' date=' but I'm beginning to think that the word "racist" is losing its meaning. It no longer has anything to do with race. It's now becoming just a word minorities conveniently use to label something they don't agree with.

[url']http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3533684

unfortunately not all people are adaquately educated when they enter the NBA..the term is ageist (when you discriminate on the age)...maybe we do want college graduates in the NBA so when they comment to the media they know what there talking about and dont sound like idiots

Guest swirlundergrounder

Now I understand what he meant and he had a valid point. There's no age limit in Golf which is a sport dominated by whites and you see teenage girls like Michele Wi playing on the pGA tour. And in Tennis a sport also dominated by whites you see teenage players that are pros at the age of 15 and 16.. But in Basketball a sport which is dominated by blacks they want to impose an age limit. I see his point now and he's right....

Guest JMT

Now I understand what he meant and he had a valid point. There's no age limit in Golf which is a sport dominated by whites and you see teenage girls like Michele Wi playing on the pGA tour. And in Tennis a sport also dominated by whites you see teenage players that are pros at the age of 15 and 16.. But in Basketball a sport which is dominated by blacks they want to impose an age limit. I see his point now and he's right....

you give no reasons for what makes the rule "racist." do basketball players somehow change ethnicity in the year or 2 after high school? football has an age limit, is that sport dominated by one race? why is it the overwhelming majority of NBA veterans are in favor of the age requirement?

golf and tennis are not contact sports

Guest swirlundergrounder

you give no reasons for what makes the rule "racist." do basketball players somehow change ethnicity in the year or 2 after high school? football has an age limit, is that sport dominated by one race? why is it the overwhelming majority of NBA veterans are in favor of the age requirement?

What I'm saying is I think he meant that why are they allowing golf and tennis players who are young to make millions of dollars and prohibit athletes in sports that are pre dominantly black in making millions before a certain age. If there is an age limit in one pro sport why isn't there one in others. I think he was trying to make that connection. That's what I meant by I see the point he's trying to make.

Guest JMT

What I'm saying is I think he meant that why are they allowing golf and tennis players who are young to make millions of dollars and prohibit athletes in sports that are pre dominantly black in making millions before a certain age. If there is an age limit in one pro sport why isn't there one in others. I think he was trying to make that connection. That's what I meant by I see the point he's trying to make.

there is an age limit in football, the biggest sport in the country. in golf and tennis, players compete individually and sink or swim based on skill, if they suck they dont get on the field of play, and they certainly dont take a roster spot away from a veteran so they can sit on the bench in the hopes they "mature" in a few years while collecting money on a contract. there is no farm system in basketball like there is in other sports where the unproven talent can hone their skills without actually affecting the real game. for every LeBron James, there are 5 or 6 who fail miserably.

Guest tres-b

When is there going to be affirmative action in the NBA?

There should be a % of whites, Asians, Native Americans etc that represent the population of the US on the floor at all times regardless of skill. It just isnt fair that American-Africans dominate the way that they seem to in the NBA and the NFL as well.

Sounds ridiculous doesnt it?

Now lets look at is another way:

There should be a % of whites, Asians, Native Americans etc that represent the population of the US in medical school, law school, college, or any position regardless of skill or qualifications.